Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2015 10:59:46 PM EDT
It's on this weekend.  Might be a good chance to pick up some DX contacts.

CQ World Wide WPX SSB Contest
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually avoid contests as I am generally unsure how to respond.

They care about their score, I don't. How do I respond to them if I just want to make another DX QSO?

Invent fake serials, take the pain in the ass and do real serials? Get drunk and avoid the DX altogether?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:10:43 AM EDT
[#2]
IV. EXCHANGE: RS(T) report plus a progressive contact serial number starting with 001 for the first contact. Note: Multi-Two and Multi-Unlimited entrants use separate serial number sequences on each band.

I don't do much contesting and usually have less than 20 contacts per contests.  I normally just give "599 01"..."599 02"...etc and just try to keep count.

Luckily I can count to 20.  I have noticed giving your serial as "001"..."002" or "01"..."02" etc works better than just ONE.  They usually don't know what ONE means.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:45:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Give an actual sequential serial number for your contacts.

The competitive stations you are working might otherwise have contacts get rejected when their logs get automatically cross checked.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:15:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, but what if you don't submit your log?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:45:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, but what if you don't submit your log?
View Quote

Doesn't matter.  They aren't matching your serial # to the contestor's log.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They care about their score, I don't. How do I respond to them if I just want to make another DX QSO?

Invent fake serials, take the pain in the ass and do real serials? Get drunk and avoid the DX altogether?
View Quote
Since I keep a paper log to go with my QRZ log, I just write a serial number next to the contact to keep track.

Since I am primarily only looking for new QSOs, I might get 4-5 during a contest, really easy to keep track of number.

As to what the exact exchange is, I go here:

http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php

This gives me the proper exchange.

I too have no interest in joining the contest for points, but they are the way I get most contacts.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#7]

I enjoy these kinds of contests.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Since I keep a paper log to go with my QRZ log, I just write a serial number next to the contact to keep track.
Since I am primarily only looking for new QSOs, I might get 4-5 during a contest, really easy to keep track of number.

I too have no interest in joining the contest for points, but they are the way I get most contacts.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok

That is what I'll do. Just add serial to the log as I input.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks!!!!

I have always wondered how to respond to these folks and what, if anything, to do with logs so they get credit!

If there is a contesting for noncontestants, or contesting for dummies, I haven't found it yet. But now I have some direction!!

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! I now have a new favorite link.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks!!!!

I have always wondered how to respond to these folks and what, if anything, to do with logs so they get credit!

If there is a contesting for noncontestants, or contesting for dummies, I haven't found it yet. But now I have some direction!!

View Quote
I was the same way. Don't sweat it. For most, they just want a signal and what number contact they are for you for contacts with other contestants.  Some need your country or state, I just check it out before hand. No logs, no worries, just more countries for the log book!

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:28:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Already picked up two ATNOs.

This is gonna be a fun weekend.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm working this weekend but managed to pick up Japan, Israel, Spain and Portugal last night. 11 different countries total.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#14]
SSB
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I've made one contact in the contest to fill one new slot.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
SSB
View Quote

I turned on the rig for 5 minutes this afternoon, and then turned it back off.  Lots of good signals from Europe, but I just wasn't interested enough to call any of them.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not keeping score or going to submit a log but as a new operator I've used the contest to make some contacts and get more experience working my radio.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:02:53 AM EDT
[#18]
contests are a great way to make some DX contacts.

they can be a lot of fun.

I'm not a hardcore contester, but sometimes, I like to dabble  ( between work, kids, BBQ, and weekend goofing off )

this is a good website for checking on contests, check the "exchange" to see what you need to send.

CQ WW WPX is signal report and serial number, your first contact will be

59 001, then 59 002, then 59 003...etc.

listen, and learn,  brevity is key,  . . . key up, exchange info, and move on.

hardcore contesters hate guys who talk too slow or blather on.

you're not required to turn in a log, so jump in and try it

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Just got Hawaii!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just got Hawaii!
View Quote

Great job!!

How far was the contact? Five miles?  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I've had my general for a week and Ive already worked 38 countries. Got Australia last night for my most furthest DX contact. I'm running a Yeasu FT-857D and a G5RV.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've had my general for a week and Ive already worked 38 countries. Got Australia last night for my most furthest DX contact. I'm running a Yeasu FT-857D and a G5RV.
View Quote

Making a basic DXCC won't take you too long.

After about 150 entities things slow WAY the hell down.

IMO WAS is harder than DXCC as you'll get maybe 47 or so and play hell getting the last two or three.

The frustrating part seems to be getting the last couple confirmed.

The last state I worked was RI and they confirmed inside a week.

SD was one of the FIRST I worked and finally I had to find another SD which I owe Hank Ellis for. He gave me a tip.

I admit I got pissed off at the 1st SD QSO as I Googled the guy and found he was a big shot doctor of some kind that owned planes and boats yet  didn't seem to have enough time to QSL me. I decided to pull some shit so I re-requested a QSL card and used the envelope of a legal firm to send it to him.

Five days later I had his card.

Dewey, Cheetham and Howe to the rescue.

Inside a couple months you ought to be able to get yourself a basic DXCC easily.

ETA If you QSO with 9K2UU do not be surprised to hear that he is hitting you long path and short path at the same time! It happened to me a while back. His station is POWERFUL.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

GET SOME

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm not worried about getting them confirmed. If I call them and they acknowledge my call and give me a signal report I log them.  I log it for my benefit not necessarily for official contesting.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm not worried about getting them confirmed. If I call them and they acknowledge my call and give me a signal report I log them.  I log it for my benefit not necessarily for official contesting.
View Quote

The only reason I got my WAS and basic DXCC was to piss someone off that said I'd never make any QSOs with the PRC 320 right after I bought it. Most of the QSOs I made, INCLUDING AK and HI were with the PRC 320 for WAS.

Over 50 of the QSOs I used for DXCC were with the PRC 320.

One of my favorite 320 QSOs was one I made with Kuwait.  I was running the IC 7200 and trying to bust through a King Hell pileup and got disgusted. I told the guy I was with that if I was going to get my ass kicked I was going to get it kicked good and hard.

I went into the garage, grabbed the 320, tossed it on the driveway retaining wall, stuck the 2.5 meter whip in, tuned it and entered the fray.

Bam! QSO on the FIRST try!

My AK QSO with Beefington was with the 320.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#26]

I've picked up nearly 50 countries in just over 24 hours. I'm not contesting but having fun for myself. I started the serial tracking in QRZ.com and try to help others out. I am a new, know-nothing extra (General 3 months ago, extra 1 month ago).    

I would have several more but many of the US stations are way over-modulated and interfere with several other stations. Their signal can be heard in a 10kHz span. Is it worth notifying them? I suspect that don't care or won't fix.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I jumped in the fray this morning with the hope of filling in the last 10 states I need for WAS. I have almost all of them on phone, very few on JT65, and none with spotting or "award net" help. All are confirmed on LOTW. I heard a great many stations, but only two from states I needed. Now we'll see if they are LOTW stations.

It's amazing how hard WAS is when you do it "naturally", i.e. don't rely on any of the "modern conveniences". I supposed I could make it a little easier if I wasn't relying on LOTW, but I'd still need 5 states even then. The only "hard" state I have left is Alaska.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Yup, I usually drag out one of the manpacks for each contest and do it till I get bored. I got like 15 contacts in 30 minutes before I called it day a few of em were DX even...
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Which contest is the one that everyone is looking for prefix's?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top