Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/9/2015 11:41:17 PM EDT
Here's the background. I know how to follow well written instructions. But I only know how to use windows. The only thing I know about Linux is that I don't know anything about Linux. I don't know how to program anything in any language. I don't know how to do any command line stuff in windows even. The last time I did anything even remotely like this was when I fooled around with a BASIC stamp over a decade ago.

What I want to do is get one of the RPi kits and use it to control an APRS iGate and digipeater. I am not opposed to learning things, but I also have zero background with linux to build upon so I am not sure if I will be able to get up to speed in a reasonable time frame. I want to have it up and running within a few days (assuming 3 hours of study/work per day) rather than weeks or months.

Should I go for it or is it too much to take in all at once for a complete newb? Have any of you gone from a windows only background to understanding and using these things?

I have an old 10" windows XP laptop that would be a MUCH easier solution for me but it would be a power hog and nowhere near as streamlined as the Pi.

Just as an example, this bit from wikipedia confuses and terrifies me, because I haven't a clue what any of it means

The Foundation provides Debian and Arch Linux ARM distributions for download.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#cite_note-raspberrypi_downloads-12][12][/url] Tools are available for Python as the main programming language, with support for BBC BASIC[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#cite_note-edge_david_braben-13][13][/url] (via the RISC OS image or the Brandy Basic clone for Linux),[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#cite_note-14][14][/url]C, C++, Java,[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#cite_note-java_on_raspberry_pi-15][15][/url] Perl and Ruby.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#cite_note-Raspberry_Pi_GPIO_Programming_with_pi_piper_Ruby_gem-16][16][/url]

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in a similar spot. A guy at work picked up a couple pi's for a project, I looked over his shoulder to get a sense of the capability. He set me up with a unit and I played with it a bit. Then when I ordered one, I just read the instructions to burn an SD card and had the thing running within 20 minutes.

The absolute quickest route is to buy a pre-loaded SD card. Plug that in, a mouse and keyboard and monitor, then light 'er off.

After that, google is your friend. I plan to use mine in my portable rig, for digital modes and log keeping and such.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Start Reading

I read this cover to cover

There may be a new version for the new board

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#3]
FPNI. TNC is right, basically if you're not a linux guru, get one (or more, to try them out) distro on a SD card, plug in and play.

Once you do, you can find various "walkthroughs" on the web that will take you through doing something like setting up an APRS igate.

To translate wikipedia to english:

The Foundation provides Debian and Arch Linux ARM distributions for download
View Quote

Distributions are different versions of linux. Think of it as Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1. (Distributions generally are very similar
under the hood, though, with all the changes in the applications provided and in the user interface.)

Tools are available for Python as the main programming language, with support for BBC BASIC...
View Quote

Basically the programming languages available. In reality, virtually every programming language is available due to it being
open source. They mention Python and BASIC because those are common entry-level languages, but you don't need to know
them. They're just there if you want to use them. The rest of that is simply citing all the options on languages just as I said.

The main skills you will need are inserting the preloaded SD card, and probably learning how to use whatever package manager
the distribution supplies, so you can install new software (like igate programs), and maybe how to use a basic text editor to
configure things that don't self-configure or have a windows-type interface. None of it is hard, you just have to play with it.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#4]
You do know a little bit about linux and you don't even know it.

Windows file systems: C:\Programs\whatever-program

Linux file systems: /etc/whatever-program

Internet: http://www.ar15.com

Funny, the linux and internet paths are similar…must be because the internet was based out of linux.

Raspbian is the easiest distro to learn because it's the most common. Most of the suggested linux distro's on this forum will be Debian based distros (Ubuntu, Mint). Personally I'm an ArchLinux fan but I wouldn't recommend getting into Arch until you have an understanding of how structures differ.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the same boat...I'm getting ready to order a Pi and Arduino. I hope I can do something useful with them and learn something valuable at the same time. I don't want to look back in 10 years and say "Well that was a waste of time and money on extinct technology, that I should have put towards XYZ"....

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want to familiarize yourself with Linux a bit first, you can install VirtualBox on your Windows machine.  This will allow you to run Linux in "virtual machines" created by VirtualBox.  This won't work well if your Windows machine is already low on resources (memory and disk space) though.

https://www.virtualbox.org
http://lubuntu.net
http://xubuntu.org
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#7]
There's really no replacement for learning linux. You're going to be limited as to what you can do with a raspberry pi if you don't take that plunge.

Adafruit has TONS, literally, of projects you can build for almost nothing if you have the major components of: Pi, display, keyboard, power supply, and SD card.
https://learn.adafruit.com/category/raspberry-pi

Focus on the ones that don't require extra hardware first, then move on to more advanced stuff. Brennen's tutorials are all very good for a beginner, as they have lots of helpful analogies and pictograms.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#8]
i jumped into the pi with zero experience and after messing with it for a few weeks got some of the basics down. I took the free course option on the link below to help out a little more. I would suggest downloading ubuntu iso onto a usb thumbdrive and messing around with that.
https://courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:LinuxFoundationX+LFS101x.2+1T2015/info
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Take my word for it. Buy one and do a little bit of Internet reasearch and you will be up and running in under a half hour.

THIS is what I read to get going. Go to lesson one and it will tell you how to download the OS and put it on your micro-SD card. Lesson two, you configure the Pi...........

Check out the TNC-Pi for APRS and packet.

Then check out Xastir (Google it)
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
OP - I'm like you, but about 3 weeks ahead.  A friend recently gave me a PI, and I've been able to make it do what I want with a little time and Googling.  The PI documentation on the web makes things pretty understandable (more so than other forms of Linux documentation I've come across).
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Let me add, that there are tons of information on the web and I never found ONE single place that told me everything I needed to know. I had to keep digging and digging.

It took me at least a week to get my digipeater running with Xastir and my Argent Data OT3.  Why ? It took me that long to discover how to find out where the USB TNC was to be found on the Pi: dmesg was all I needed but it took me a week to find it. Now it's running like a top.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#13]

--- Moved to new thread  ---

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
not to derail the thread, but I've been seriously thinking about getting a RPi kit for my 14 year old who really loves computers.  I know nothing but arfcom.  Where is a good place to get a basic starter kit?

thanks
View Quote

Amazon has some nice kits. Make sure you get the pi2. It has more power and will be less frustrating waiting for things to get done.

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Complete-Original-Preloaded/dp/B008XVAVAW/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1426030084&sr=1-3&keywords=raspberry+pi+2
or for a bit more with some experimenting items:
http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Ultimate-Starter-components--Raspberry-Kingston/dp/B00PWYK2V6/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1426030126&sr=1-5&keywords=raspberry+pi+2
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations. I went ahead and ordered one of the Pi 2 kits from amazon last night and it should be here Friday. I also got a couple of books, including the one posted in this thread.

I figure even if I can't figure out how to work with Linux, I can just stick it on the shelf until Windows 10 comes out.

I gave up on the quadcopter hobby last year when the FAA ruled out FPV flight so I will spend that time instead messing with the Pi.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one I use for an IRLP Node and another I may turn into a NTP server  (Hooked to my GPSDO)

The book I posted is the manual they should have come with ....

Maybe in the future I'll look at getting one of the new ones to play with

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep, that's the book I ordered. I am guessing most of it will still apply to version 2, with a few differences.

It looks like their website has a lot of stuff geared towards kids, so if a 10 year old can figure it out, I should be able to with enough persistence.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Here's the background. I know how to follow well written instructions. But I only know how to use windows. The only thing I know about Linux is that I don't know anything about Linux. I don't know how to program anything in any language. I don't know how to do any command line stuff in windows even. The last time I did anything even remotely like this was when I fooled around with a BASIC stamp over a decade ago.

What I want to do is get one of the RPi kits and use it to control an APRS iGate and digipeater. I am not opposed to learning things, but I also have zero background with linux to build upon so I am not sure if I will be able to get up to speed in a reasonable time frame. I want to have it up and running within a few days (assuming 3 hours of study/work per day) rather than weeks or months.

Should I go for it or is it too much to take in all at once for a complete newb? Have any of you gone from a windows only background to understanding and using these things?
View Quote

Let me answer your actual question.

Yes, you could order one of these things and within a few days have it running your digipeater/iGate.
I did it.
I am not a computer guy. I am not an educated guy (high school diploma). I worked as a fireman (no work related experience to draw on). . I had never seen anything having to do with linux prior to buying the Pi.
With almost no help other than the internet, I got an APRS digipeater running in a fairly short time. I could have done it faster but work, shooting, meetings.........got in the way. . Depending on what equipment you are using for the digipeater, there very well may be a YouTube video using the same equipment you are trying to use. There is a lot of information out there.
I posted a link earlier that would get the Pi up and running in less than a half hour.
After that all you do is download Xastir, and put together the cabling.
It really is that simple.

Obviously you could get on here and ask questions as they came up. I was having a lot of fun figuring it out for myself, so I didn't ask but if I would have, it would have probably taken me less than an hour to have this thing up and running. When I say less than an hour, I mean that if you had everything you needed for the Pi, as well as the digipeater (hardware), you could open the box on the brand new Pi and have the digipeater on the air in about an hour. In my case, I had a working digipeater, I just wanted to use the Pi so I could see who I was hearing and to use some of the other features of APRS. So there was nothing to it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
not to derail the thread, but I've been seriously thinking about getting a RPi kit for my 14 year old who really loves computers.  I know nothing but arfcom.  Where is a good place to get a basic starter kit?

thanks
View Quote

Newark electronics carries a lot of pi. They are a commercial distributor, I've ordered lots of materials from them over the years.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, fine. I'll do a write-up on how I setup my Raspberry Pi B as an APRS I-Gate. I've been meaning to do it for a long time.

I just have to get up into the attic to get some pictures.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Ok, I have my Pi up and running!

Not the APRS station or anything, but I managed to get NOOBS on an SD card and have raspbian installed and running. I figured out how to get into the GUI and have WiFi hooked up. I can browse the web and all that good stuff. I am amazed at how well this tiny computer works! If you just wanted something simple for old folks to browse facebook or somesuch, this would be the ticket once you got it set up to boot right into the GUI.

Anyhow...

Looking forward to learning how to set up the station.

I did find a place that makes a TNC that connects directly to the Pi's GPIO port. But I had hoped to use a USB soundcard and a cheap soundcard interface kit and let the Pi handle the TNC function as well as running something like XASTR.

Here is the TNC (not affiliated with them):

http://tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#22]
On this subject I just ordered some stuff to make a little touchscreen pi sdr trunking scanner.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
On this subject I just ordered some stuff to make a little touchscreen pi sdr trunking scanner.
View Quote

I hope you give us all the details of that project.
I have been reading about it. I looks like a fun project although I don't think I will actually do it, but who knows. I own several trunking scanners but again, it might be fun just to do it as a project.

I would like to get an RTL/SDR dongle working on a Pi and then see if I can get it to decode TRBO. We only have a couple local agencies using TRBO and I don't really have any reason to listen to them, but it's sort of like getting one over on the man since I can't listen to them on my regular scanner.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have been reading about it. I looks like a fun project although I don't think I will actually do it, but who knows. I own several trunking scanners but again, it might be fun just to do it as a project.

I would like to get an RTL/SDR dongle working on a Pi and then see if I can get it to decode TRBO. We only have a couple local agencies using TRBO and I don't really have any reason to listen to them, but it's sort of like getting one over on the man since I can't listen to them on my regular scanner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll post up a build thread when I get around to it. Still gotta pick up the pi yet. Probably work on it in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I went ahead and ordered one of the Pi TNC kits. It looks like a straightforward build so if I do a good job it will save me 25 bucks.

I usually waste too much money buying a bunch of junk trying to save a little and end up buying the real deal later. I am trying to break myself of the habit so I went ahead and sprung for this instead of trying to go the sound card route. Hopefully my choice to buy the kit to save a little over the built and tested model was a good one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:25:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

/etc has never contained executables.  

/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, and sometimes /usr/local/bin and/or /opt/appname/bin contain executables.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

in any case, from the shell prompt a given executable need not be run using an absolute path; an user-modifiable environment variable, PATH, exists which hints the shell to search the directory pathnames found in ${PATH} for the requested executable.

hence, you can type
$ firefox
and not the more cumbersome and harder to remember
$ /usr/bin/firefox
because ${PATH} contains (among other things) /usr/bin

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:28:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have one I use for an IRLP Node and another I may turn into a NTP server  (Hooked to my GPSDO)
View Quote

i can help you with the latter; i have configured quite a few linux boxen as stratum 1 NTP hosts using kernel PPS.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Today I installed Xastir following a write-up I found online, but I can't get the online maps to work. I don't have a radio connected (waiting on TNC) but I did manage to get it connected to APRS-IS and stations show up on the "map". But it is only the crudest worldwide map with almost no detail at all other than state boundaries and major waterways.

I must have missed something during the installation. Or possibly the maps that Xastir tries to use are no longer hosted where the program is looking for them. Amy ideas?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:15:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Today I installed Xastir following a write-up I found online, but I can't get the online maps to work. I don't have a radio connected (waiting on TNC) but I did manage to get it connected to APRS-IS and stations show up on the "map". But it is only the crudest worldwide map with almost no detail at all other than state boundaries and major waterways.

I must have missed something during the installation. Or possibly the maps that Xastir tries to use are no longer hosted where the program is looking for them. Amy ideas?
View Quote

For the most part the maps Xastir is looking for no longer work. You can search for local map files in the appropriate format and place them
in the maps directory. Usually there's a state department that has GIS maps, so you can try googling something like utah state GIS maps and see if
something downloadable turns up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:41:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
For the most part the maps Xastir is looking for no longer work. You can search for local map files in the appropriate format and place them

in the maps directory. Usually there's a state department that has GIS maps, so you can try googling something like utah state GIS maps and see if

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know my county used to have downloadable maps in a format that was compatible with Garmin GPS units. But I sometimes travel to other counties and it would be nice to have the coverage. Still, the county map might be a good start. Thanks for the idea!

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#31]
This map thing is something I need to explore further.
I wasn't sure if the maps were just very primitive, I was doing something wrong, or there was a problem with the maps.
The only "map" I presently get has state borders and a big river near where I live.
I want something that at least has some major roads marked.

A month or two ago there was an article in QST by, I believe a Dutch ham who runs a map server. I need to go back and read that article again.
Take a look at that and hopefully more discussion of Xastir maps can take place.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#32]
The map article I referred to is in the February 2015 QST, page 36.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I will look for it. I am not an ARRL member so I might have to spring for a membership to read it.

I looked and my state GIS department has downloadable USGS TOPO maps in .tiff format with no frames, which should be compatible with xastir. I just need to sit down for a couple of hours and download them at a few different resolutions. They have all the way down to 1:24,000 up to 1:250 and the entire state at a glance.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I just happened to stumble into this site today. Looks like they have most states covered.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Ok, my bad, I just assumed everybody was a member of the ARRL.

PA7RHM Mapserver

I am not sure if this is going to be any help for those of us using Xastir or not. I don't know right now what file format Xastir uses for maps and all that. I mentioned this only because I have been thinking about the maps on Xastir and I kept thinking that I had read an article recently in QST about maps for APRS.   Obviously this guy is doing this to support UIView, windows based APRS software.

I am off today, but may or may not have time to explore this further.
Hopefully somebody that knows will come in here and help us out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I think Xastir is compatible with the .tiff format. Anyone with Garmin map source should be able to export maps to a USB drive that will work. I am going shooting tomorrow but I might have a chance to experiment with it this weekend some time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok. I managed to download a .TIFF map file.

I created a directory called "Offline" in the usr/share/xastir/maps directory, and copied the .TIFF file there. The new "Offline" directory does appear in the xastir map chooser window, but the .TIFF file does not.

I have a feeling something didn't go right with the xastir installation.

And, the TNC hasn't shown up yet. The place I ordered from (Coastal Chipworks) sent me a message saying they would ship the next day in the order confirmation, but that day was the day before their cut off date for an upcoming vacation they mentioned on their website. My guess is it didn't take priority over packing for the vacation.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Could it be a .hidden file ?

I am really glad you tried it and kept the thread going.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Not sure. I'm still a complete linux newb, but I am picking up new things here and there every time I get a chance to mess with it.

I might try a fresh installation of raspbian and find a different xastir setup guide. My hope for all this is to put together a clear-cut "idiot's guide" procedure from unboxing to working APRS station outlined for anyone that wants to do the same. It seems like most of the RPi/xastir guides out there were done a few years ago when the Pi first came out, and enough has changed since then that the old instructions no longer work.

When the TNC finally gets here I will take pics of the build.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#40]
I just spent about an hour reading about Xastir maps.

I found the README.MAPS file and read that and this is above my pay grade. I am going to be unable to do anything with this until I get some help. I don't even understand the map types that they are talking about let alone downloading them and using them.

I am not even sure if the maps are actually on the Pi and I am just not enabling the right settings to see them or I have settings enabled that don't allow me to see the detail or whatever. I tried looking into the files where the maps are supposed to be located but I don't know enough about this whole thing to know if anything is there.

What I have running right now is OK since I know where everything is. I have been on APRS long enough to know where the various stations are that are displayed on my screen, not to mention I know the local geography, but having actual streets and cities marked on the display would be a nice touch and would be essential if I was out of this area and/or was trying to actually go to some location.

Is there any other APRS software for the Raspberry Pi ?  I am not giving up, just a question.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I just spent about an hour reading about Xastir maps.

I found the README.MAPS file and read that and this is above my pay grade. I am going to be unable to do anything with this until I get some help. I don't even understand the map types that they are talking about let alone downloading them and using them.

I am not even sure if the maps are actually on the Pi and I am just not enabling the right settings to see them or I have settings enabled that don't allow me to see the detail or whatever. I tried looking into the files where the maps are supposed to be located but I don't know enough about this whole thing to know if anything is there.

What I have running right now is OK since I know where everything is. I have been on APRS long enough to know where the various stations are that are displayed on my screen, not to mention I know the local geography, but having actual streets and cities marked on the display would be a nice touch and would be essential if I was out of this area and/or was trying to actually go to some location.

Is there any other APRS software for the Raspberry Pi ?  I am not giving up, just a question.
View Quote

http://sourceforge.net/projects/yetanotheraprsc/
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:03:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for that link!

I might give that one a shot before reinstalling raspbian. If it works I'll reinstall anyway just to make it as clean as possible.

The installation notes for YAAC indicate it requires java runtime environment to be installed so that will be a project in and of itself.

It would be great if we could just find a working image hosted somewhere that could be flashed to a card and plugged into the Pi.

444, I am in the same boat with the map. I recognize positions of known stations when looking at them on the map display well enough to get an idea of where things are situated. But, I want it to work completely.

I am not sure why the map didn't show up in the map chooser window after I installed it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks for that link!

I might give that one a shot before reinstalling raspbian. If it works I'll reinstall anyway just to make it as clean as possible.

The installation notes for YAAC indicate it requires java runtime environment to be installed so that will be a project in and of itself.

It would be great if we could just find a working image hosted somewhere that could be flashed to a card and plugged into the Pi.

444, I am in the same boat with the map. I recognize positions of known stations when looking at them on the map display well enough to get an idea of where things are situated. But, I want it to work completely.

I am not sure why the map didn't show up in the map chooser window after I installed it.

View Quote

I've had YAAV run through Openjdk in the past.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Ok, the TNC Pi kit showed up today. I already got a Bud Industries "Pi Sandwich" enclosure that has room for a daughter board, so it will have some room for the TNC. This enclosure was not designed for the Pi 2, but it will fit with a couple of minor modifications, and it beats not having any kind of cover at all.

I've been out all day so I haven't even started on the kit yet.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:34:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Also, going through the TNC Pi instruction manual there is a link to downloadable maps for Xastir here:

http://download.geofabrik.de/

These are supposed to be the same maps as the Cloudmade maps that are no longer available. They do appear to be updated regularly. I haven't had the opportunity to install one on the pi to see if it works with Xastir.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:47:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Funny, the linux and internet paths are similar…must be because the internet was based out of linux.

Raspbian is the easiest distro to learn because it's the most common. Most of the suggested linux distro's on this forum will be Debian based distros (Ubuntu, Mint). Personally I'm an ArchLinux fan but I wouldn't recommend getting into Arch until you have an understanding of how structures differ.
View Quote

The Internet was not "based out of linux".  GNU/Linux came along *long* after the internet was built on Honeywell, DEC, BSD and other things that all pre-date Linux by decades -- including real Unix, of which Linux is but a poor copy.  

file paths came about long before Linux was a gleam in Linus' eye.

"Linux" is a kernel.  It doesn't do anything with file paths, really.  GNU/Linux is the proper name of the OS, because without the GNU utilities, Linux is just a bunch of useless C code you can't even install or boot.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well, fine. I'll do a write-up on how I setup my Raspberry Pi B as an APRS I-Gate. I've been meaning to do it for a long time.

I just have to get up into the attic to get some pictures.
View Quote

awptickes, did you make a thread on this one yet?  looked around on the first couple pages, didn't see it.

also, had trouble finding this thread, since the title was changed.

figured out the title change, add this to subscriptions, so it doesn't disappear on me.  this is a good thread.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The Internet was not "based out of linux".  GNU/Linux came along *long* after the internet was built on Honeywell, DEC, BSD and other things that all pre-date Linux by decades -- including real Unix, of which Linux is but a poor copy.  

"Linux" is a kernel.  It doesn't do anything with file paths, really.  GNU/Linux is the proper name of the OS, because without the GNU utilities, Linux is just a bunch of useless C code you can't even install or boot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Richard is that you
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Ok, bit of an update. I got the TNC Pi kit assembled today. The soldering and cleaning took about 2 hours. I still have to test it and then install the ICs.

I was using a $10 soldering iron and lead free solder, so please excuse the sloppy job. I've done better before, but I think this will work ok.

I added a fish paper insulator since this end of the board will rest on the USB and ethernet ports on the Pi. Stuck it on with servo tape.

Also, the RPi 2 has a longer GPIO header than the original Pi and B revision. I checked the pinouts and it looks like the Pi 2 just added additional pins, and all of the necessary pins should still line up in the correct places. Unfortunately, the Pi 2 header has shifted a few MM inboard to make room for a mounting hole, so the boards will not stack perfectly. My recommendation is to get one of the cheaper original RPi boards if you plan to use it with this particular TNC, for the sake of easier compatibility with both the case and the header.

I will still need to test it, but I wanted to post my progress so far.

Here are some pictures of the fit, and why the insulator is needed. it should also be noted that the supplied standoff will not line up with any holes on the Pi 2. You could always just cut a piece of styrofoam from some packaging material to give a little support, or use a nylon standoff in one of the holes that lines up with a flat spot on the other board. As you can see, the overlap makes the pin header separate from the socket a little towards the front of the board, but it feels like it makes good contact. And you can see why the insulator is needed. (You need an insulator for all versions of the Pi.)

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I just ordered a couple of those cases based on your recommendation.

I have the  TNC-PI sitting on a Pi 2. I haven't tried it yet because I didn't have a DB9 connector and I didn't want to solder the leads to the board. However, I went to Radio Shack; yes our local Radio Shack is still open and in full operation. Anyway, I got a couple DB9s there and am going to solder them up tonight. (Actually solder one up, I bought a spare).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top