Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2015 11:07:54 PM EDT
The band seems to be in great shape, come join the fun!

I need to re-tune the antenna tuner when I move very far across the band and have forgotten several times.  Worked a few guys across the country now on about 25 Watts when the amp tripped off because I forgot to re-tune first.

I may just get up in the middle of the night and see if I can finally get Alaska...
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I miss my 160M dipole, but I'm so happy with the 80M OCF that replaced it I don't miss it that much

I've been thinking about rebuilding the 80M OCF into a 160M OCF in the Spring.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:30:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Crap, I keep forgetting that I made a nice 1/2 wave 160m dipole, but never got off my lazy ass to hang it.  Still in the garage.  Is it me or was 160m better last winter? Maybe I just spent more time in front of the rig last year.

I've been banging away on RTYY for past 15 min. for Robinson Crusoe Is. I worked them earlier on 17m. They haven't been very strong here in WV for me & my dipoles.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Daym..... No antenna for 160m...
I've been thinking about installing a full size horizontal loop at 50+ ft above ground. 50 feet above ground is way too low for 160m but I have no way to put it any higher. 25 years ago, I had a full size 160m, horizontal Delta Loop at 150 ft. It worked very well and was a lot quieter than a dipole at the same height.
Does anyone have experience with OCFD for 160 meters? Do you think it will work ok at a lower height (50-60ft)?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:02:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I think Elijah1 uses a horizontal wire on 160 and other bands.  Might ask him about it since I know he does a lot of DX with it.

Just tripped the amp again working KS and he said I was S9 +5 when I was running 25W.  He's 20 over here on my short Inverted-L transmit antenna and my Hi-Z receive array.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I think all you would need is a good 4:1 current balun to make an OCF dipole for 160m. You know that would be easier for me as well. You could just tune it  for 160m. I would have to look up the leg measurements. I have no idea how well it would work though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:23:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a relatively new ham exactly 2 miles North of me hitting me 40 over that I've never heard before.      Haven't talked to him but I see and hear him working stations up and down the band,.  Called for him and he responded, couldn't help not hearing me this close on 160.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think Elijah1 uses a horizontal wire on 160 and other bands.  Might ask him about it since I know he does a lot of DX with it.

Just tripped the amp again working KS and he said I was S9 +5 when I was running 25W.  He's 20 over here on my short Inverted-L transmit antenna and my Hi-Z receive array.
View Quote

Yea, an OCF dipole. 90' by 180' with a 4:1 balun.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Ran across the contest last night while working on something else, gave it about an hour before I had to go upstairs & made 30 some odd contacts that included Cayman Islands and Bahamas. Was using the ladder fed horizontal 160m FWL (551' @ about 75' average height).  It transitions from 4" ladder to the TS-590 via a homebrew 3 core 9:1 current balun.  It often sees use on all bands from 160m - 10m.  No external tuner required.

Nick
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yea, an OCF dipole. 90' by 180' with a 4:1 balun.
View Quote

For 160?

How high up?

I was eyeballing trees today but best I got is right at 100ft tall.  So add stretch to another tree top or go with OCF?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top