Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2015 10:21:05 AM EDT
I'm finally getting up to hanging the W8AMZ G5RV jr. that I have. I can get it at least 30' up on the low end and probably closer to 50' on the far end. I think it should be running mostly north/south which means running away from the house given the lot. The down leg will end up being over grass in the backyard. I really don't want the feed coax to run down to the ground at that point to protect it. Is there a problem with running the twin lead down, then turning the coax horizontally 10' or so above the ground? I realize I will have to tie off the drop line to keep straight.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not seeing a problem with your setup, but here's a MS paint of how I envisioned your setup:

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not seeing a problem with your setup, but here's a MS paint of how I envisioned your setup:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=72963
View Quote

Thanks!!  That's exactly it. I just wanted to make sure that the basically parallel coax wouldn't screw it up somehow.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#3]
At that distance, it will probably have little noticable effect.

If you would like to print a great circle map centered on your location, click here and follow the instructions. Knowing the radiation pattern of your antenna will show how it relates to the various land masses. HINT: Actual radiation patterns can differ quite a bit from the free-space ones shown in books!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#4]

You can pull the feed line away from the antenna at any angle as long as the twin lead is perpendicular. It could run straight out to the side if necessary. Bring it out and tie it to a rope off a near by tree or "T" post then run the coax to the shack. 73, Rob
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses!!  I got it hung but haven't run the coax into the shack yet. Maybe I'll get to that tomorrow. My weight is a rock. Looks a lot like the weight pilotman drew.

Or maybe I'll just drag the coax in the back door and try it.  

Gota run out to dinner tonight or I would try and finish it up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
just drag the coax in the back door and try it
View Quote

I would try this first, before drilling a hole through a tree/your house and making it permanent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top