Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2015 1:10:13 AM EDT
Especially when you want to break the 1911 out and pistol whip them.

Long story short, was discussing GMRS repeaters in a Facebook group. Someone asked about antenna height and one person states, 20 ft. Well, I corrected giving that was the definition of a small station (I guess with the pre-1989 rules a small station did not have to be filed where a station did), 20 ft above structure or tree the antenna is mounted to with a 5W ERP limit. Cited 95.51 and went on with my day. In another post (I hadn't realized I had replied to the exact same person) the statement was made 20 ft and 5W wouldn't get you nearly as far as a 70 cm setup would. Well, I commented about how most of the local 70 cm repeaters actually performed poorly compared to local GMRS repeaters. I basically stated that most of the GMRS repeaters were engineered (which they were) with DB commercial  antennas, good locations (along side some of the 70 cm repeaters actually) but many of the 70 cm repeaters weren't engineered as well (or if at all) and couldn't compete with the GMRS repeaters.

I guess he got a little butt hurt and started stiring the pot. Got himself deleted from the group by a mod then PM's me stating the following (am not going grammar Nazi on his ass, sorry), "you just identified your self as a idiot, get a real lic.or dont you have the brains ?" Well, after pretty much being called incompetent I decided to look him up on ULS. Found his amateur call and checked his FRN for other licenses.

What I thought was one of the funniest things because where he originally held a Novice (no-code Tech style) he had recently upgraded to technician…and they guy (me) he called incompetent not only holds a GMRS license, also holds a general class license and is a VE.

I decided to do what any good ham would do…send him a QSL card.

He more recently PM'd me his "qualifications" as such, "ar from a idiot, im licensed amateur and also a radio tech for motorola &GE , and Johnson, six years worth of school, makes me a idiot because I should get paid more than 125k a year thank god my wife's a superintendent of the school sysytem." He also asked my opinion on what I though a real license was. I'm just gonna refrain from replying until I send the QSL card.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:41:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
also a radio tech for motorola &GE , and Johnson
View Quote

This is where his 20ft/5W thing comes from, that's out of Part 90 LMR regulations.  Fixed stations beyond those limits have to be coordinated, if they're within those limits they are categorized the same as a mobile unit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Part 95 was similar back in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Anyone who's ever actually read Part 95A knows that it was hacked to pieces when the commission changed the rules in 1989. Full of info that is no longer relevant, references to sections that have been omitted and some not extremely well defined terms in some of the references.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]
For those who would like to know what the QSL card consisted of…

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Just let it slide.....you can't argue with stupid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top