Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 5:09:38 PM EDT
I got this at my house. Being that it doesn't have any knobs I figured the best people to turn to for help were the no-code hams of arfcom.

What do I have?

http://nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/ham/IMG_20141218_134712.sized.jpg
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
a $7500 radio?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]
You are a very bad man!

Did you just get it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
a $7500 radio?
View Quote

You'd think for that much money they'd include the knobs.

Congrats!  It's beautiful.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You are a very bad man!
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1416779/very-bad-man-o.gif

Did you just get it?
View Quote

Yes. I was planning on holding off until Dayton but they had a decent special running.

Now if they can just wait until Dayton 2016 to release something newer so I don't kick myself for not holding off as I had originally planned.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I got this at my house. Being that it doesn't have any knobs I figured the best people to turn to for help were the no-code hams of arfcom.

What do I have?

View Quote

A broken radio?  Can't change the frequency?  Just totally useless.  Sheesh!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Must. Not. Hate........ah, forget it, I hate you!

Watcha' gonna' hook it up to? A radio like that deserves the best!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Now you can see all the electric fences in the county in high def!

When are we raising the tower with the SteppIR on it?????

grats!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What do I have?

View Quote

You have more money than sense......just like me.

I bought the Flex 6500 on Black Friday and absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#9]
It has a key jack, so all is not lost. Maybe it's commanded by CW?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#10]
If they came out with a front panel I'd be tempted to get one

I have a Flex-1500 that sits on a shelf

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:01:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got this rigged up running on a 32 bit windows xp system running as a virtual machine on a decent linux machine. Such a kludge but I couldn't wait. I am in awe of its receive performance.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:49:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I've got this rigged up running on a 32 bit windows xp system running as a virtual machine on a decent linux machine. Such a kludge but I couldn't wait. I am in awe of its receive performance.
View Quote

Microsoft-only control software?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:50:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which Flex did you get?

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:03:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Which Flex did you get?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which Flex did you get?

6700. They threw in the GPSDO for free.

Quoted:
Microsoft-only control software?

Yes. But it seems it just takes someone writing software to work with the radio. Someone has built an iPad app to work with it. But I'm not an expert by any means seeing how I've only had 1 hour playing with the thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:52:32 AM EDT
[#15]
It looks like a button-less CB radio. I need a spare radio and will give you $1000 for it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I got one of those too.

I turn it on and I don't hear anything. I can't find the volume knob.
How do you know what frequency you are on and how the hell do you change it ? The little four way thing on the front must be the VFO ??
If I could figure out what frequency I was on, I know it would be accurate because I had to PAY $700 for the GPSDO.

It must be broken. I am tired of messing with it and I am going to shit can it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I got one of those too.

I turn it on and I don't hear anything. I can't find the volume knob.
How do you know what frequency you are on and how the hell do you change it ? The little four way thing on the front must be the VFO ??
If I could figure out what frequency I was on, I know it would be accurate because I had to PAY $700 for the GPSDO.

It must be broken. I am tired of messing with it and I am going to shit can it.
View Quote

There is a specific disposal technique for these.  Luckily for you there is one of these facilities near me.  Send it here, I'll handle the disposal for you - include a check for $500 as that's what it costs at this facility.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Stupid question...

I've not read the manual yet. And I've only tinkered with it for an hour or two... I can hear audio through headphones directly hooked up to the radio. Theres a speaker port on the back of the radio. But I'm using a computer with a nice sound system to control radio. How do I get the audio to play through my computer?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Probably adds the radio as another sound card.  

cat /proc/asound/cards in your linux terminal.

Not sure how that will map in the VB, I think you'll see it under USB devices.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Probably adds the radio as another sound card.  

cat /proc/asound/cards in your linux terminal.

Not sure how that will map in the VB, I think you'll see it under USB devices.
View Quote

Radio uses ethernet and a windows program to communicate.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Stupid question...

I've not read the manual yet. And I've only tinkered with it for an hour or two... I can hear audio through headphones directly hooked up to the radio. Theres a speaker port on the back of the radio. But I'm using a computer with a nice sound system to control radio. How do I get the audio to play through my computer?
View Quote

You need to setup DAX.

See this and this.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You need to setup DAX.

See this and this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stupid question...

You need to setup DAX.

See this and this.

Thanks. Looks like running this in windows xp is a problem too. Good thing this isn't a permanent solution
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Windows 7 would be my choice for setting up your new Flex 6700.

I run an 5 year old AMD Quad core @ 3.0GHz with a 8Gb of RAM and have no issues.

SmartSDR is much easier to set up than PowerSDR and  new SmartCAT and DAX work well with my ham software.

I am running FLDIGI, WSJT-X and CW Skimmer with zero issues.  I did setup separate profiles for CW, SSB and Digital and all of these programs run flawlessly.

I have read that people using onboard video cards have had some issues, but I am running an ATI card and haven't experienced any trouble.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Now if they can just wait until Dayton 2016 to release something newer so I don't kick myself for not holding off as I had originally planned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are a very bad man!

Did you just get it?

Nonsense!  

I have a 1500 and a 5000 and I see no need to buy a new version.  The two I have do what I Want quite well!

BUT those 6X series are nice fo-sho.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nonsense!  

I have a 1500 and a 5000 and I see no need to buy a new version.  The two I have do what I Want quite well!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are a very bad man!

Did you just get it?

Nonsense!  

Oh, hell yeah. I love my 3000. 3000's are plentiful and going for around $1100 on eham et al now. 5000's are not much more. If you are looking to dip a toe into the SDR world a 3000 would be a great way to do that. I can tell you I am never going back to knobified radios!

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I think all of them are nice But what I really don't like is having to be tied to a computer.

A control head with display would be a great add on

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#27]
And this is why I can't have nice things...

I've always complained of S9 noise on 80 meters and below and sometimes on 40m and up. Occasionally the bands are quiet. On 40m and up the noise floor is typically low.
Until I saw this I had no idea how bad 80m was!

http://nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/ham/Flex.png
http://nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/ham/Flex2.png

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:08:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Wall warts and other assorted switching power supplies have given me fits over the years.  

Cheap computer power supplies were always the worst offenders for me. Maybe your old XP machine is the culprit?

Sounds of RFI  is an ARRL link that might be helpful for you to figure out what you are hearing and help you track down the source.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top