Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2014 7:30:15 PM EDT
I'm trying to put together a backup solar power supply with my already battery backup for the radios.

I have my power supply feeding a PWRgate PG40S which is connected to a 100Ahr battery.  Normally the PG40S keeps the battery charged in the event of a power failure.  

Is there a way to connect my solar controller to this setup or do I need to completely isolate the power sources?  Perhaps I need to scrap or reuse the PG40S for another purpose.  West Mountain Radio tells me the PG40S can't be connected to the battery along with any other type of charger.  

I'm looking for ideas on how to build a system that is normally powered by A/C through a power supply; with a battery backup that is normally charged using the A/C current.  In the event of an extended power outage, I would use the solar panels to power the station and charge the battery.  Perhaps a simple isolation switch................ what solutions has the hive used?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.  In for info!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I think a simple switch to select charging sources would be the simplest.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Paging ECHOMANCER
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I just feed them both into the battery, since both are rated to handle the charging voltage.

Also, if you wire a second powerpole pigtail to the battery (you can use smaller gauge wire for this, too) that can be
a charging input and you don't need a switch, just plug in whatever source you want to charge with.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think a simple switch to select charging sources would be the simplest.
View Quote

For the OP's goals in the last sentence, I agree completely.

There are other options if you have other goals but they're not as simple or fool proof.  I researched this a lot this past summer and my goal was to have the batteries power my station and use 100% solar charging, but also have the option of charging with commercial or generator power if the Sun power wasn't enough at times.  I can switch either source on of off at will but they can also operate in parallel.  They work fine in parallel and the dominant charger takes control at the end.  In other words, the one with the highest float voltage will complete the charge because the one with a lower setpoint has already shut off by then.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I would nix the PowerGate (it effectively becomes an automatic switch between two supplies with battery charging)
I would connect the charge controller to your battery. (this takes an input DC voltage between 12 and 20 and charges a battery - most likely needs to get at least 13.8V, more is better)
I would connect your load to your battery.
I would connect your Power Supply to the charge controller (all the better if it is adjustable voltage, solar panel or PSU, both are current sources in the 12V range).

This way, no switches - you simply remove the PSU and plug in your panels if you don't intend on leaving them connected at all times.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#7]
dibs on the powergate
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless the charge controller is a high end unit with four stage charging, the PG40S will do a better job of keeping the battery healthy.  Lots of cheap Chinese junk charge controllers out there that do bulk charging ok, but suck at absorption and float.  You can forget equalization.  

B
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Let me make a suggestion, and one I do now.

The solar panel itself operated somewhat above 13.8 - 14.1 volts for charging your battery.  It is more in the 16 - 22 volt range.  

For the Powerpoles from the solar panels and input to the solar charge controller I use green and black, instead of red and black
like used for the rest of the system.  You can also rotate one or more of the Powerpoles 90 degrees to create a unique plug and
socket, but you lose the "genderless" connection type.  You also lose the ability to use regular Powerpole extension and other
cables/connections.

But something to think about, how to prevent plugging the wrong thing in in the wrong place.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#10]
The solar controller I have is a ProStar PS-30M made by Morningstar.  

So it sounds like a few are suggesting I use the solar controller simply as a battery charger (not using the load outputs), and feeding the solar controller directly with the DC power switch or solar panels depending on the situation.  Installing a switch or simply plugging in the source I need at the time.  Connect the load circuit directly to the battery.  Does anyone have any experience with the voltage booster made by MFJ model 4416B?  This would insure the correct voltage to the radio for an extended time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So it sounds like a few are suggesting I use the solar controller simply as a battery charger (not using the load outputs), and feeding the solar controller directly with the DC power switch or solar panels depending on the situation.  Installing a switch or simply plugging in the source I need at the time.  Connect the load circuit directly to the battery.  Does anyone have any experience with the voltage booster made by MFJ model 4416B?  This would insure the correct voltage to the radio for an extended time.
View Quote

I have the 4416B and the 4416BRC remote control.  I did setup a tap so that it would only boost when the IC-7200 is transmitting.   It works.  I got it because the powersupply I was using could not handle the peak output.  I eventually got a PowerWerx SS-30DV supply so I really don't need the booster except for when I am on battery.  I am planning to reconfigure some so that only the battery side is boosted.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The PS-30M is pretty decent.  But since it controls charging by PWM, I'd think it would dump a bunch of noise into the radio - easy enough to fix by turning off the controller.  I was getting noise into a TV during the day from a different, but comparable PWM charge controller.  Problem went away when I upgraded to an MPPT unit from Blue Sky.  

B

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#13]
This company sells powergates and a small solar charge controller.  At the bottom of the solar charger page there is a diagram showing the charge controller and the power gate both connected to the battery and working together. That setup would be great, no switching or changing connections to keep the battery charged.

solar controller

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This company sells powergates and a small solar charge controller.  At the bottom of the solar charger page there is a diagram showing the charge controller and the power gate both connected to the battery and working together. That setup would be great, no switching or changing connections to keep the battery charged.

solar controller

View Quote

I came here only to post that link.

I have the charge controller and the PWRgate from him.  All configured just like that picture.  Well, I don't have the booster yet, but that's on my post-Christmas list.  My PWRgate flaked out on me the other day and I pinged him to see if he had suggestions for fixing it.  He insisted on replacing it and shipped me one at no charge as long as I shipped the dead one back so he could figure out the problem.

I'll end up with another pair of the above when I build a box next year sometime.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Let me echo what Rob said... I have both the Powergate and the Solar Charge Controller from KI0BK, and they work
exactly as described.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
This is what prompted me to start this thread.  I wanted to connect the solar charger and the PWRgate to the battery together.  I decided to call West Mountain Radio about this set up, and they were the ones who said not to do it.  Maybe the guy I talked to didn't know, but it was the technical department so it caused me concern.

After thinking about this some, I'm going to treat the solar charging and battery as a separate issue.  Under normal circumstances the station will be powered using A/C through the power supply.  The battery will be kept charged with an A/C charger.  The solar panels only come out if the generator and A/C power both fail.  Simply switch or plug and I'm up and running.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I think that is your best course of action.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:35:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The PS-30M is pretty decent.  But since it controls charging by PWM, I'd think it would dump a bunch of noise into the radio - easy enough to fix by turning off the controller.  I was getting noise into a TV during the day from a different, but comparable PWM charge controller.  Problem went away when I upgraded to an MPPT unit from Blue Sky.  

B

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

B

I have the Morningstar Solar Sun Saver MPPT charge controller, and it is VERY HF noisy on 15 and up.  Best charge controllers for common ham applications (where you're not working with KW of arrays)and  the money are Genasun.  Small/Portable, light weight, weather resistant, MPPT, and RF quiet.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:18:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

solar controller

View Quote

I also have this controller for portable and it works well.   I would not hesitate to get another.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top