Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/29/2014 6:48:17 PM EDT
http://teespring.com/FoTime

Thanks to whoever it was that recommended teespring. $15 each. They are a little pricier because I kept the minimum order down. Depending how this goes we might be able to petition staff for a shirt with the ARFHAM logo.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Ordered!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ordered!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Order in!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Ordered.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't have one, the FCC tested me on the code.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sucks to be you
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Down for 2
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Does a fitted T shirt mean I should order one size larger than normal?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does a fitted T shirt mean I should order one size larger than normal?
View Quote

I did. Here is a sizing guide.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Ugh it's fitted? I didn't see that, wonder if I can change me size?

Never mind, it's right in the email receipt, couldn't be easier.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:43:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Ordered.  Unfamiliar with the blog, but the old guys will get a kick out of it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:52:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ordered.  Unfamiliar with the blog, but the old guys will get a kick out of it.
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/674857_Fo_Time_The_Other_Ham_Radio_Podcast_is_now_LIVE_Itunes_and_Spreaker_.html
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Done
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess we're both out on this one.

(Is there a Slow Code Extra version?)
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Although its not an officially sanctioned Fo Time product...I do think its pretty hilarious.  I also believe the no-coder the shirt is referencing is Me...everyone is welcome to wear
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the KNOW code version.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#17]
done...this will be funny as shit at the next ham club meeting....
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#18]
bump....come on guys man up I really won,t this shirt..
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Only 4 more needed.  Someone will step up.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Only 3 more needed to print!
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Just posted a link to this thread in GD.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I ordered one yesterday!
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I KNOW code too your point? I was licensed in 2010 makes me a 'no code'
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess you're out of luck, if you had to pass a code test.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#25]

IN

Said it needed 2 more.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point ?
The shirt doesn't work for me.
Sorry, I thought that was obvious.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My point ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My point ?

Did you read the description?

Doesn't matter if you are a 5 wpm warrior, 50 wpm speed demon, or have never pounded a key in your life. Whoever wears this shirt is thumbing their nose at those who would rather run off a new ham then welcome them into the hobby.

Being a "no code ham" isn't about knowing Morse code or not. It is in rebellion to those who would rather lecture you on how stupid you are for not knowing how to cut a dipole vs those who rather take the time and show you and pass down the knowledge.  

Until now "no code" has been used as a slur used to belittle people because they didn't enter the hobby sooner. Other countries dropped the code requirement long before we did, yet somehow we have gone downhill since while numbers of ham operators around the world continue to rise.

If you haven't seen the (hate to say it) abuse that is geared to new hams, you must be in a great area or associate with a good bunch. But judging by the quality and content of your post I have a feeling you have been around/active for a while and know exactly the type of people I am talking about.

This was my first ever HF QSO. I was in my mid 20s and home on Christmas leave from North Carolina. My uncle and I talked about radios over dinner and I told him about radios I was using in the Marine Corps. He took me to his shack and this was my introduction to ham radio. By some crazy stroke of luck it was recorded by a random person and put on YouTube.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#28]
To be absolutely brutally honest with you, I have never run into the type of person you describe.

Again, I am just being honest here: what I have run into frequently are people who have a victim mentality who invent things to get pissed off about.

Let me elaborate:  my primary mode is CW. I rarely do anything else. It's just what I enjoy.
Over the years I have had no end of people get an attitude with me because they ASSUME I look down upon them because they don't operate CW. And I never gave them any reason at all to believe that. I have gotten to the point that I no longer discuss my on the air activities at club meetings anymore because if I mention that I worked a DX station or whatever someone will make a comment. Something like: Oh, well excuse me. I only worked them on SSB. I am not a real ham I guess.
What the fuck ?

Now, its more like; oh you worked them, yeah that's great. Me ? No I have been to busy to operate.

Of course if they knew the truth they would assume I didn't want to talk to them because they weren't on CW.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
To be absolutely brutally honest with you, I have never run into the type of person you describe.

Again, I am just being honest here: what I have run into frequently are people who have a victim mentality who invent things to get pissed off about.

Let me elaborate:  my primary mode is CW. I rarely do anything else. It's just what I enjoy.
Over the years I have had no end of people get an attitude with me because they ASSUME I look down upon them because they don't operate CW. And I never gave them any reason at all to believe that. I have gotten to the point that I no longer discuss my on the air activities at club meetings anymore because if I mention that I worked a DX station or whatever someone will make a comment. Something like: Oh, well excuse me. I only worked them on SSB. I am not a real ham I guess.
What the fuck ?

View Quote

I know this is going to sound crazy, but those are the "know code" types I am talking about. Doesn't matter that they haven't used HF in a decade, or that they don't even remember a E from a T, they make it known if you stray from their path you are not worthy.

Phurba on here has a great story along these lines. Hopefully he shows up to tell it.  Also hope to see you at Dayton if you make it, I will listen to what DX you worked and share a beer.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Being a "no code ham" isn't about knowing Morse code or not. It is in rebellion to those who would rather lecture you on how stupid you are for not knowing how to cut a dipole vs those who rather take the time and show you and pass down the knowledge.  

Until now "no code" has been used as a slur used to belittle people because they didn't enter the hobby sooner. Other countries dropped the code requirement long before we did, yet somehow we have gone downhill since while numbers of ham operators around the world continue to rise.

If you haven't seen the (hate to say it) abuse that is geared to new hams, you must be in a great area or associate with a good bunch. But judging by the quality and content of your post I have a feeling you have been around/active for a while and know exactly the type of people I am talking about.

This was my first ever HF QSO. I was in my mid 20s and home on Christmas leave from North Carolina. My uncle and I talked about radios over dinner and I told him about radios I was using in the Marine Corps. He took me to his shack and this was my introduction to ham radio. By some crazy stroke of luck it was recorded by a random person and put on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C86gxXIhvFY

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point ?

Doesn't matter if you are a 5 wpm warrior, 50 wpm speed demon, or have never pounded a key in your life. Whoever wears this shirt is thumbing their nose at those who would rather run off a new ham then welcome them into the hobby.

wow thats sad introduction
Thats embarrassing for the ham community
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#31]
So how many shirts are still needed?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So how many shirts are still needed?
View Quote

None, I ordered 2.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am glad to hear that you have not experienced it.  I don't have a "victim mentality" but I am very observant.  I have seen and heard the behavior many times in the last year.  Luckily most of the local hams I have met are great people and welcome new hams into the fold.  Online, not so much.  I have joined a bunch of ham forums that claimed to be the place for hams to learn, socialize, etc.  What I did not see were signs saying "new hams need not apply", but they really should be posted as such.

The amount of information I have learned from those forums or Facebook groups has been minimal.  Instead I witnessed new hams ask a basic yet legit question and then immediately get chastised or insulted. The key players almost always resorted to saying things like "this hobby has gone to hell since the code requirement was done away with", or "its the CBers that have ruined the hobby".  Occasionally there are a few people that step up and answer the question but the attacks are enough to make most new hams walk away.  I refuse to support forums and groups like that so I just hit the unsubscribe button and move on if the moderators allow the behavior to continue.  

Not only does this behavior happen online, it also happens on the air.  I listen more than I transmit.  You say you hang out in the CW mode primarily, I spend my time in voice or data modes. I hear plenty of the same above in voice, which is kind of ironic.  But it does happen quite a bit on certain bands and frequencies. I just spin the VFO and move on.

Personally I like the shirts making fun of SCWolverine.  He has done a lot here to help new hams get started in the hobby.  If helping new hams get started is ruining the hobby, then he is doing a good job at it.  He has spent a lot of time producing shows on the types of operating I like to experiment with such as QRP, portable HF, and prepping for EMCOMM.  I also listen to other podcasts like HamNation and Ham Radio Now etc.  While good, they are really directed to established hams in some ways. They also niche in other areas of operation that I am not always interested in.  

So.  Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt applies.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#34]

I am glad to hear that you have not experienced it.  I don't have a "victim mentality" but I am very observant.  I have seen and heard the behavior many times in the last year.  Luckily most of the local hams I have met are great people and welcome new hams into the fold.  Online, not so much.  I have joined a bunch of ham forums that claimed to be the place for hams to learn, socialize, etc.  What I did not see were signs saying "new hams need not apply", but they really should be posted as such.

The amount of information I have learned from those forums or Facebook groups has been minimal.  Instead I witnessed new hams ask a basic yet legit question and then immediately get chastised or insulted. The key players almost always resorted to saying things like "this hobby has gone to hell since the code requirement was done away with", or "its the CBers that have ruined the hobby".  Occasionally there are a few people that step up and answer the question but the attacks are enough to make most new hams walk away.  I refuse to support forums and groups like that so I just hit the unsubscribe button and move on if the moderators allow the behavior to continue.  

Not only does this behavior happen online, it also happens on the air.  I listen more than I transmit.  You say you hang out in the CW mode primarily, I spend my time in voice or data modes. I hear plenty of the same above in voice, which is kind of ironic.  But it does happen quite a bit on certain bands and frequencies. I just spin the VFO and move on.

Personally I like the shirts making fun of SCWolverine.  He has done a lot here to help new hams get started in the hobby.  If helping new hams get started is ruining the hobby, then he is doing a good job at it.  He has spent a lot of time producing shows on the types of operating I like to experiment with such as QRP, portable HF, and prepping for EMCOMM.  I also listen to other podcasts like HamNation and Ham Radio Now etc.  While good, they are really directed to established hams in some ways. They also niche in other areas of operation that I am not always interested in.  

View Quote

Well put and couldn't have said it better myself USNDOC!!!

In a hobby that's often taken WAY too serious, this is just the kind of stuff we need.

Just placed my order for one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Ordered.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Oh what the hell. One more on order. Might get chuckle or two at the next club meeting.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#37]
P
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I agree with you 100%.
I have found (like you) that the various online ham forums are full of total assholes. I got on a few of them over the years and quickly stopped going there.
I am not a new ham, so maybe I wasn't paying attention to that part of it. Again, I don't think that was the issue: I think a majority of those guys are just straight up assholes to everybody all the time.

I was talking about on the air or at the local club level. I have been a member of a few clubs, both on the air clubs as well as local clubs. Everyone I know goes out of their way to help new hams. At our local clubs we have given nearly every new ham at least some free equipment. We have had a number of local guys that died and had the club distribute ALL of their gear to club members. Other people buy a new rig and give their old one to new members. Not to pat myself on the back but I have given away at least four rigs and an amplifier to new guys in our club. I can't tell you how many antenna parties I have attended.
We try to get every new ham not only licensed but on the air.

Same goes for the on the air clubs I am active in. Two are the SKCC and FISTs.
We do everything possible to get new members active on the air. I have sent two guys, keys because they said the couldn't afford one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Trying not to drift the thread (I have a habit of doing that).

The only time I've run into the stereotypical asshole ham in person is the president of the first ham club I belonged to. The stereotype fit. Hated no-coders. Didn't think Techs should be allowed access to vanity calls. The list went on. When asked why I didn't reup my membership I let them know.

On the other hand hams on the whole are generous to a fault. The local club has a large and getting larger stash of gear donated by SK. Rather than sell it we're looking at a process of giving it to new hams. The homebrew community in particular has an attitude of "my junk box is your junk box". Being the FNG in the Glowbugs group I half expected a few barbs but quite the opposite. Some of these guys were drinking buddies with Tesla yet haven't hesitated to offer advice and suggestions in the best Elmer tradition.

As for the t-shirt, think it will be funny to those with a sense of humor. Best one I saw at the club meeting said, "Back when I was your age Pluto was a planet."

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#39]
We got 'em. The shirts are being made.

As for rude old-timers, the only time I got serious shit was when I checked in with the YLs while running portable.

I said I couldn't give a QTH because I was running portable.

Some jerk griped about new no-code Extras and back in the day, yada yada yada.

I shot back, "Sounds like words spoken by a guy 10 years my junior sitting in an air conditioned shack. I'm 62 and humped my rig up a mountain top and strung out my own wire antenna in a couple of trees somewhere on the WV/PA line and don't know where I actually am, hence no QTH. Thank you for showing me the courtesy and brotherhood due someone new to the hobby. Out."

"I'm a no code General," someone chimed in.

"If the FCC hadn't dropped the code requirement there wouldn't BE a hobby. It's the preppers and others that saved it.  I've been a ham since '78."

"Me, too! I'm a no code extra."

Before the dog pile could get too far out of hand net control jumped in.

Frankly I thing that most OLD hams don't like the snobs very much, either.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#40]
you know, this thread, the shirt, podcast, EMCOMM Box Thread, AK47 box, and Moar wouldn't even be here if it hadn't been for ol' faithful...AR_Jedi....

Yep this really is all his fault.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#41]

I Order 2 of them. that makes 21 shirts order!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#42]
That put us over the required.  I got the email this morning saying that they would be printed.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That put us over the required.  I got the email this morning saying that they would be printed.  
View Quote

me, too.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I guess you're out of luck, if you had to pass a code test.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Too late to get in on this?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I think it's open till the 10th of Dec
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Does it come in 5xl?

I need that on my hamabbout at the next hamfest.

Oh wait that's the Code guys.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Does it come in 5xl?

I need that on my hamabbout at the next hamfest.

Oh wait that's the Code guys.
View Quote
Heh; actually, I'd love to get one, but seeing as I'm a giant fatass work in progress (dropped 50 in the last 3 months, but still have plenty to go before I can fit into a fitted 3x ) I'll have to pass on the first run.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:07:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point ?

I wish I could understand more... I must be one of those dirty no code VHF+ hams.

Quoted:
you know, this thread, the shirt, podcast, EMCOMM Box Thread, AK47 box, and Moar wouldn't even be here if it hadn't been for ol' faithful...AR_Jedi....

Yep this really is all his fault.

It really is, isn't it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top