Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 10:03:10 PM EDT
I work for a college.  Just to monitor things I'd like to be able to hear their channel.  I asked the head of security for their frequency and she pretty much ignored me.  Doesn't change the fact that I'd like to listen.

Here's the thing, another ham in my area hooked me up with their frequency, but after listening for a few days in my office I hadn't heard a thing on either of the two channels.  To boot, on Friday, I was talking to the nurse on campus (who has a radio) and the channel actually was directly linked to their phone line.  Meaning when you call campus security it goes right to their radios when they answer.  

Is any of this ringing any bells?  How do I grab the frequency to listen to it?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I work for a college.  Just to monitor things I'd like to be able to hear their channel.  I asked the head of security for their frequency and she pretty much ignored me.  Doesn't change the fact that I'd like to listen.

Here's the thing, another ham in my area hooked me up with their frequency, but after listening for a few days in my office I hadn't heard a thing on either of the two channels.  To boot, on Friday, I was talking to the nurse on campus (who has a radio) and the channel actually was directly linked to their phone line.  Meaning when you call campus security it goes right to their radios when they answer.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

I'd look it up on the FCC database. Can be a bit of daunting task though. My University has something like 80 licenses currently active with the FCC.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd look it up on the FCC database. Can be a bit of daunting task though. My University has something like 80 licenses currently active with the FCC.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that's what the ham did.  And I switched to both of the two frequencies on my 5r.  Nothing...not one transmission was caught even though it's a pretty busy channel.  

Does the phone line direct link tell us anything about the frequency or their setup?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Tones needed?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Tones needed?
View Quote

What do you mean? Just to listen?  Isn't that usually for transmitting?  I mean I was planning on programming it in anyway in case of an active shooter or something similar.  But my captain is most likely going to let me register my radios with our county dispatch so I'd be way above the college level as far as emergency communication permission is concerned.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The newer Uniden scanners have a "Close Call" feature.  Turn that on and it will tell you the frequency that someone nearby is transmitting on, and store it for you too if you want.

You could detect them the same with the proper antenna and a frequency counter or spectrum analyzer but that's getting a little advanced.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you tried looking them up on http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]
When I tackle finding a new frequency, I use of one several methods.

First, databases. Google search on the service and location, check radioreference, and FCC. 90% of the time one of these will turn up the frequency
or a discussion about the service where the frequency is mentioned.

Second, step-by-step frequency scanning with an educated guess on the band. Antenna lengths usually give away
if it's VHF, UHF, or 800 MHz. If you're somewhat close to the area, you can crank up the squelch at little to help
filter out the weaker stations.

Third, using a frequency capture device (Optoelectronics Scout or Uniden's Close Call.) A frequency counter will work
as well but old-school counters usually don't lock the frequencies in. There's a lot of chinese Scout knock-offs available
now that are pretty cheap.

Last, somewhat related to #2 above, is firing up a spectrum analyzer. Thanks to RTL-SDR, anyone can do this for $25 now,
but in the old days I ran a R7000 and a AOR spectrum display.

The only things I don't get when I try are CDMA spread spectrum, and thanks to the spectrum analysis I know even when
I'm dealing with those.

I'm going to gamble that your college is using a UHF or 800 MHz frequency and very little digging will turn it up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:28:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What do you mean? Just to listen?  Isn't that usually for transmitting?  I mean I was planning on programming it in anyway in case of an active shooter or something similar.  But my captain is most likely going to let me register my radios with our county dispatch so I'd be way above the college level as far as emergency communication permission is concerned.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tones needed?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Ummmmmm...derp?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:47:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy $20 freq counter, ask nurse friend to transmit something real quick, profit.

Profit could also determine they are using spread spectrum 900mhz. In which case have fun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm willing to bet it's not really a radio at all. They maybe dispatched by cellphone/Nextel type thing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Conversely it is not unusual for licenses to lapse and fail to get renewed.  Eventually they disappear from the database.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Follow the suggestions above.  Remember that they probably have several channels.  Once you narrow down what to listen to then cut an antenna for that frequency/band.  High gain,  directional antennas and a high vantage point will help you catch more transmissions.  It is possible you were already monitoring the right frequency but not having the right antenna made their low power transmissions undetectable to you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#13]
few things

the head of security has no idea - some radio sales place programs and sets up the radios most likely

What kind of radio do they carry? That's your best place to start - look up the radio and the capabilities and that will narrow your scan

We use MOTOTRBO - the only way you're listening is on a moto radio with the capability or SDR via computer - no scanners will decode it.

if you'd like to PM me the school (if you're comfortable doing that) I can see if I can find anything out beyond that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Follow the suggestions above.  Remember that they probably have several channels.  Once you narrow down what to listen to then cut an antenna for that frequency/band.  High gain,  directional antennas and a high vantage point will help you catch more transmissions.  It is possible you were already monitoring the right frequency but not having the right antenna made their low power transmissions undetectable to you.
View Quote

security will most likely be on one channel - if they have a van service they may have a second - there may or may not be one or two other channels used very infrequently
if your school has a police department (Act120 officers) they will most likely have as second active channel

Facilities may have one or two channels

you're most likely looking in the 450-500mhz range depending on the age of the equipment.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#15]
So a little update on the specific HT we're dealing with....

Motorola XPR 6550

Any ideas on how to grab that frequency?  Is the process any different than the previous advice given?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Motorola XPR 6550

Any ideas on how to grab that frequency?  Is the process any different than the previous advice given?

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Motorola XPR 6550

Thanks

-Emt1581

From the /\/\ website

Available in UHF, VHF and 800 Mhz frequency bands

Get a freq counter. But that is a DMR radio, so you are going to need more than a Baofeng to listen to it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

From the /\/\ website

Get a freq counter. But that is a DMR radio, so you are going to need more than a Baofeng to listen to it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Motorola XPR 6550

Thanks

-Emt1581

From the /\/\ website

Available in UHF, VHF and 800 Mhz frequency bands

Yup, most likely TRBO.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:41:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Edited for OPSEC after thread derail.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why's that?

A friend offered me a counter.  And by having the nurses radio to scan it shouldn't be too hard.  But what sort of radio (HT) will I need short of spending a couple hundred (or whatever their radios go for)?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Best/easiest is a $20 rtl dongle and dsd.

Or maybe one of the connect systems HTs. However I'm not sure how well they interop. Zap zap would probably know.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why's that?

A friend offered me a counter.  And by having the nurses radio to scan it shouldn't be too hard.  But what sort of radio (HT) will I need short of spending a couple hundred (or whatever their radios go for)?

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why's that?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Google the model number of the radio.  If it's a high end digital/trunking radio, then you will need a scanner type radio that can decode that, or a dongle and appropriate software.  Most likely it's just a FM radio that almost any HT/scanner can listen to.  Again, you will need an antenna for the right frequency to monitor from any distance.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Best/easiest is a $20 rtl dongle and dsd.

Or maybe one of the connect systems HTs. However I'm not sure how well they interop. Zap zap would probably know.
View Quote

From talking with a bunch of people, they do okay. Audio is a little low (modulation or lack of Xpander circuits) to every one using Moto radios. They don't have a lot of the bells and whistles that TRBO radios have (Roaming I believe is not supported for example).

Either way, to listen to a TRBO network on either a scanner or HT, one would be looking at spending a couple hundred dollars at least. I wouldn't recommend a HT if there are no amateur TRBO repeaters around as they are single band radios.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Google the model number of the radio.  If it's a high end digital/trunking radio, then you will need a scanner type radio that can decode that, or a dongle and appropriate software.  Most likely it's just a FM radio that almost any HT/scanner can listen to.  Again, you will need an antenna for the right frequency to monitor from any distance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why's that?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Those specific radios do MotoTRBO - no scanner will receive and decode - the RTL-SDR dongle can be setup to do so with a decent computer behind it
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Those specific radios do MotoTRBO - no scanner will receive and decode - the RTL-SDR dongle can be setup to do so with a decent computer behind it
View Quote

Wow!  I've only been into ham radio for close to a year now but never in my reading have I encountered something that was so expensive/difficult to do!

Seems like, short of buying one of the radio's they use...which is apparently really expensive...AND knowing exactly what frequencies they use or switch between...AND having it professionally programmed...this is a no go.  

Again, a first.  

Usually it's...no problem...here's how to rig it cheaply.  I guess this is the exception to the rule.

Thanks though

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wow!  I've only been into ham radio for close to a year now but never in my reading have I encountered something that was so expensive/difficult to do!

Seems like, short of buying one of the radio's they use...which is apparently really expensive...AND knowing exactly what frequencies they use or switch between...AND having it professionally programmed...this is a no go.  

Again, a first.  

Usually it's...no problem...here's how to rig it cheaply.  I guess this is the exception to the rule.

Thanks though

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, a first.  

Thanks though

-Emt1581

No as said before you can legally listen to them with a $20 SDR dongle.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

this

RTL-SDR dongle and some software will get you there....

assuming they're actually using MotoTRBO - but if they're doing things beyond the scope of a 2 way radio (text,phone patching) it's most likely they are
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

this

assuming they're actually using MotoTRBO - but if they're doing things beyond the scope of a 2 way radio (text,phone patching) it's most likely they are
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

But still no transmit capability (in case of emergency) right?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#28]
nope - in that case you'll have to get a radio
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
nope - in that case you'll have to get a radio
View Quote

Alright.  Well I'll let it go for now but if I get tenure I'll definitely invest in one...and by then it'll be on to the next biggest and greatest thing that's even more expensive.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

-Emt1581
View Quote

I would hope if it were an emergency you would just pull your cell phone out and call the appropriate agency.

If for some reason there is no cell infrastructure I think the campus security is near the bottom of the list.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would hope if it were an emergency you would just pull your cell phone out and call the appropriate agency.

If for some reason there is no cell infrastructure I think the campus security is near the bottom of the list.
View Quote

There are some areas that can be odd/dead zones around campus.  But simplex an HT should do a little better.  And it would just be to give security a heads up where the code or active shooter is.  The guy sitting at a desk can hang on the phone with 9/11.  I'll be busy rendering aid or trying not to get shot.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#32]
This thread went from what could have been a informative discussion on digital modulation to using a HT in an active shooter situation.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This thread went from what could have been a informative discussion on digital modulation to using a HT in an active shooter situation
View Quote

Actually I said from the start the purpose was to listen and communicate ONLY in case of an emergency.  I just threw two that I figured qualified at you.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Actually I said from the start the purpose was to listen and communicate ONLY in case of an emergency. I just threw two that I figured qualified at you.

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread went from what could have been a informative discussion on digital modulation to using a HT in an active shooter situation

Actually I said from the start the purpose was to listen and communicate ONLY in case of an emergency. I just threw two that I figured qualified at you.

-Emt1581

Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

**********ETA*********

It looks like I missed this. I know I overlooked it or I would have thrown iamfromtheinternet.jpg days ago

Quoted:
Quoted:

Tones needed?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Check my third post there gcw.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Check my third post there gcw.

-Emt1581
View Quote

Yes and I edited my post before your prompt.

Thing is this. Without a firm understanding of the network of which you want to associate you are more likely to do more harm then good. The last thing anyone needs is someone jamming a first responders net just because they have the capability. There are people that build and maintain radio systems for a living. Our tax dollars fund those systems because they work, and working matters when people's lives are on the line.

I will talk all day about building a system to test in a lab and so that one can understand the ins and outs. However when that learning experiment goes outside and causes harm to human life, I am punching out.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thing is this. Without a firm understanding of the network of which you want to associate you are more likely to do more harm then good. The last thing anyone needs is someone jamming a first responders net just because they have the capability. There are people that build and maintain radio systems for a living. Our tax dollars fund those systems because they work, and working matters when people's lives are on the line.

I will talk all day about building a system to test in a lab and so that one can understand the ins and outs. However when that learning experiment goes outside and causes harm to human life, I am punching out.
View Quote

Do you by any chance work for a school or some branch of emergency services?  

I do on both counts.  And I can say with certainty that if something serious happens, you don't hang on the phone/ht/etc. and "jam" the line.  You key up, give maybe a 5 second transmission of location and situation and then address the issue.  At least that's how I've dealt with the last few hundred EMS calls that have come my way.  If I've keyed up for more than 5 seconds at a time in the last 15 years I'd be shocked.  Only time that happens is when calling in a hospital report and that has a specifically designated channel for it.  And if someone broke into that channel in a panic communicating some life or death situation, I'd certainly let them finish as what I'm doing is typically more of a courtesy to the hospital than anything else.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#38]
No please teach me proper radio communications.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't understand.  Are you saying you do or do not work/have involvement with schools or emergency services.  No need to be sarcastic if that's where your request is going.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don't understand.  Are you saying you do or do not work/have involvement with schools or emergency services.  No need to be sarcastic if that's where your request is going.

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

No I don't work with schools or emergency services.

I use radios to call in air, artillery, and naval gunfire.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No I don't work with schools or emergency services.

I use radios to call in air, artillery, and naval gunfire.
View Quote

Not much chance of someone breaking the line to call in a stroke or some other emergency right?  

Seems we're talking from two completely different backgrounds.  I'm talking about what's relevant for me.  Doesn't seem like it'd be an issue for you to really focus on.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:30:35 AM EDT
[#42]
My take on the radio system you have described is if they want you to listen or talk on it they would issue you a radio.  It sounds like a somewhat secure comm system.  Designed to reduce the chance of eavesdropping or interference from unauthorized users. It's called control, and it usually works.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I do on both counts.  And I can say with certainty that if something serious happens, you don't hang on the phone/ht/etc. and "jam" the line.  You key up, give maybe a 5 second transmission of location and situation and then address the issue.  At least that's how I've dealt with the last few hundred EMS calls that have come my way.  If I've keyed up for more than 5 seconds at a time in the last 15 years I'd be shocked.  Only time that happens is when calling in a hospital report and that has a specifically designated channel for it.  And if someone broke into that channel in a panic communicating some life or death situation, I'd certainly let them finish as what I'm doing is typically more of a courtesy to the hospital than anything else.

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-Emt1581
Does the school actually want you on their system....or do you just think they do?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top