Drudge Article

Mentions radios.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#1]

According to the exercise, 100,000 people were instantly killed; a wave
of overpressure took down buildings for a half-mile radius and did
damage for up to two miles.
View Quote

It only damages buildings for two miles, but kills 100K!!

Dang, they really are packed in there like sardines!

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#2]
What I love about some of these disaster scenarios is that the office running them is usually too damn close to the event to actually be effective should it really happen.  I did not get a good feel for the location of the EOC in the article but something that large would probably destroy that office or make getting the staffers to it near impossible.  Not to mention the staffers would be personally involved in the event.  When people are personally involved they are less effective.  

I have mentioned several times to our folks that if something big happened that the command center would actually be better run from the next town over if they were not directly involved.  

It is good to see that radios were mentioned but given they are talking about getting word out to the public and the article was written by CBS radio... They mean standard AM/FM receivers.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#3]

These rigs are "EMP Proof".....tubes for the win.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Collins_S3_Line_FSc_090326.jpg

View Quote

I don't know what that does, but it looks AWESOME.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Collins_S3_Line_FSc_090326.jpg

It allows you to tell your buddies that the 'John has a long mustache' and the 'chair is against the wall'
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
According to the exercise, 100,000 people were instantly killed; a wave of overpressure took down buildings for a half-mile radius and did damage for up to two miles.

New York City, Ground Zero is Times Square.  Sounds about right.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Takes up about 20x more space than it needs to No really, those old tube rigs are sexy and all, but they take up a LOT of room, and suck down a good amount of juice. Modern radios do a lot more, with precise frequency control and very little drift(virtually none compared to an old tube rig), and do it in 1/5 the space or less of ONE of those four boxes in the picture.

That said, tubes are fun. Odd tubes are even funner, just ask my Gonset Communicator with the freaky eyeball

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#8]
The experts seem to agree that a nuclear detonation is a less likely scenario than a dirty bomb.  Despite the Internet and advances in technology, it is still difficult to produce a working implosion device.  Timing is critical not to mention needing sufficient quantities of Plutonium.  However, a conventional bomb covered with Cesium-137 (which is probably easier to obtain from medical sources than plutonium - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia_accident) would leave a toxic mess with a half-life of 30 years.  Cobalt-60 is nasty too but is far more "hot" than Cesium-137.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It allows you to tell your buddies that the 'John has a long mustache' and the 'chair is against the wall'
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You owe me a keyboard dammit.......

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top