Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2014 10:30:13 PM EDT
I bought a new Jeep Wrangler 4 Door this weekend and gave my wife my Jeep Liberty
(She needed a vehicle with 4WD and she's also an Amateur Radio Operator).

So now I need to figure out the mounting for the Antenna (144/440).
The top is Fiberglass and I also have the soft top so roof mounting is pretty well out.

I could mount it on the fender like I did on the Liberty but It would have to
be on the driver-side since the AM/FM antenna is on the passenger side.
One interesting photo I saw was where the antenna was mounted Inside the fiberglass top.

Any Ideas from Other Jeep Owners?

Thank you

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on the Jeep!!   Wave - TJ owner here.  I'd say mount it on the back end somehow at least that keeps it away from the engine,occupants, and the AM/FM antenna.
For the TJ there is no perfect solution either. The largest flat metal plane would put an antenna right above the engine and all it's RF noise.  

I plan to make a NMO mount similar to this CB mount from FireStick.  The nice thing with NMO is I could run a 1/4 wave for in town and switch to a 5/8 wave when going any distances.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with this Rugged Ridge mount on my JKU.

I had to dremel off some of the powder coat to get good ground contact, but once that was done I mounted a NMO
through the holes and was good to go. There's a little bit of detuning due to the spare, but it's not very bad.

I also have an insta-trunk, and that provides a nice big flat ground plane if you wanted to install a NMO through it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a pair of Teraflex Antenna mounts on my Jeep.

You pop off the taillight and bolt it in between. I've got one for my CB, and one for my 2M.

Previously, I had the CB mounted to the factory bumper, and a short 2M antenna mag-mounted to the top of the wheel well in the back. Which worked fine, but it got in the way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not a HAM guy, but if the antennae is similar to a CB's, then use a Teraflex mount like this.  

Not mine

It mounts right to your tire carrier and running the cable through the vent behind it is really easy.  

I have a CB antennae mounted on my Jeep with one.  

Mine

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:22:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I just have a hole drilled through the bumper. Not the best but it works.

Kind of hard to see in the picture but here ya go anyway.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:51:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Scuff up the underside of that roof and bond some copper mesh to it with a coat of resin.  Instant ground plane!  Well, provided that you actually ground it to the antenna, that is.  Maybe also solder some braids along the edges so you have conductors sticking out that can be bonded to metal where available.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:07:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Pussies...

Also

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the Ideas.

I'm thinking in the rear is probably my best option since the roof
is out and it should put it farther away from the other electronics.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's a simple, cheap mount that's on my jeep that works excellent.  The "mount" is a piece of angled metal that I had in my nuts and bolts bin.  Granted, it's only for a CB antenna that's put in use up in the mountains, but you might be able to get ideas.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been putting these on JKs…pair with a Larsen NMO 2/70. Firestik made something similar for the YJ/TJ's…I've put one on a JK that we though was going to have a 2x4SR on it (heavy antenna).

Did I mention they are like $5 from Tessco or Hutton?

It doesn't matter whether it's for CB or VHF/UHF. I've found some of the best, low stress mounts for Jeeps are the Larsen NMO series. I run a NMOQB on the roof of my XJ for APRS. I run a NMO27B on a hood channel mount for CB. I'm expecting the 2x4SR  on the spare tire carrier to break off here eventually.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#11]
This one is interesting

Since mine is the 4 door version (the picture is of the 2 door version)
it would have a lot more room between the antenna and the roll bar
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#12]
This one looks Better

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This one is interesting

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131021&d=1339465358

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This one is interesting

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131021&d=1339465358

I'd like to see that on an analyzer since it looks like a perfect candidate for coupling into the roll bar.

I like that.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Not to hijack but what's everyone using for antennas on the light brackets?  I'm looking for a dual band, probably need something no ground plane...
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not to hijack but what's everyone using for antennas on the light brackets?  I'm looking for a dual band, probably need something no ground plane...
View Quote

NMO 2/70…it's ground plane dependent though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm using the Diamond NR770HBNMO at the moment. Haven't had any issued but the reviews of recently made ones
have been a little spotty.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'm not a HAM guy, but if the antennae is similar to a CB's, then use a Teraflex mount like this.  

View Quote

Not mine

It mounts right to your tire carrier and running the cable through the vent behind it is really easy.  

I have a CB antennae mounted on my Jeep with one.  

Mine

I have the same mount for a CB antenna. I like it since it doesn't do any irreversible changes to the vehicle, and the SWR isn't perfect but it is acceptable with a short antenna that doesn't extend past the roof. I'll bet a steel 102" whip would have excellent SWR with this mount. Still, it does flex a bit with longer antennae so I'm not comfortable putting a really long one on there for every day driving.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm using the Diamond NR770HBNMO at the moment. Haven't had any issued but the reviews of recently made ones
have been a little spotty.
View Quote

Mine is not new but I have 2 and they blow everything else I have tried away. Doesn't need a ground plane either.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been putting these on JKs…pair with a Larsen NMO 2/70. Firestik made something similar for the YJ/TJ's…I've put one on a JK that we though was going to have a 2x4SR on it (heavy antenna).

https://avalanche.tessco.com/productimages/250x250/49030.jpg

It doesn't matter whether it's for CB or VHF/UHF. I've found some of the best, low stress mounts for Jeeps are the Larsen NMO series. I run a NMOQB on the roof of my XJ for APRS. I run a NMO27B on a hood channel mount for CB. I'm expecting the 2x4SR  on the spare tire carrier to break off here eventually.
View Quote

This is what I use too, with a Larsen. I get the worst feedback though. I have no idea where the RFI is coming from.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is what I use too, with a Larsen. I get the worst feedback though. I have no idea where the RFI is coming from.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://avalanche.tessco.com/productimages/250x250/49030.jpg

How close are you to the antenna?

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#21]
HF mounting

L Bracket on brake light frame. Works pretty well there.

Another L on the 3rd brake light. I had a 10 meter antenna on there hooked to an X9000 Syntor and it worked extremely well. I switched it over to a small dual band due to the height.

For HF this is mounted just to the plastic and a coax cable is split out inside with the hot to one of the screws and the ground braid to a bolt inside. You would think it would be flimsy but it's not. It has handled a 12 foot whip at highway speeds for years.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top