User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked DX Spotting Here (Page 23 of 59)
Page / 59
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Clown_Gun:

Not hearing those at my QTH in WA.  But I just made my first contact with Florida on 14.200 so maybe conditions will improve before I have to head out to work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Emoto:
9A0HQ Croatia 14.220
OF2HQ Finland 14.282

Not hearing those at my QTH in WA.  But I just made my first contact with Florida on 14.200 so maybe conditions will improve before I have to head out to work.

I didn't realize you are out west. Yeah, although the Croat had a decent signal here in MA, the Fin was not strong, so I am not surprised you couldn't get them. I routinely pick up european stations without much trouble and Florida is always strong here (maybe because they are all retired with big linear amps?), so I get excited when I can reach anyone out your way.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 2:41:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clown_Gun] [#2]

I didn't realize you are out west. Yeah, although the Croat had a decent signal here in MA, the Fin was not strong, so I am not surprised you couldn't get them. I routinely pick up european stations without much trouble and Florida is always strong here (maybe because they are all retired with big linear amps?), so I get excited when I can reach anyone out your way.
View Quote
Location makes a big difference!  Most of what I'm hearing today is CA and NV.  FL came in strong for a minute so I tried and got that one.  No DX so far.

Conditions are funny today, as in "amusing."  I keep hearing all these stations getting cut off in mid-transmission, one after another...  It's like the plot of a really bad horror story.  Or a Nicolas Cage movie.

eta:  Worked 15-meters for the first time.  Also heard activity on 12-meters but my antenna doesn't tune there.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 3:00:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brundoggie] [#3]
Thanks.  I had to smile when he called me by name and added -san to the end.  There was another JA station I wanted to try but he was fading so badly I didn't bother.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4Madness:

Congratulations! I've never even heard a Japanese station before. Sorry to hear about your other issues.
Thanks.  I had to smile when he called me by name and added -san to the end.  There was another JA station I wanted to try but he was fading so badly I didn't bother.

I know JA's are a treat for you mainland guys but they are so easy out here they are a pain in the ass when I call CQ.  Had this conversation one time after exchanging signa strengths and names:

JA- "OK what island are you on?"

ME-  "Hawaii"  (I live on the Big Island)

JA-  "Yeah, yeah, I know Hawaii...what island?"

ME- "I live on the island of Hawaii"

JA-  "Not Hawaii, what island in Hawaii"

ME- "Hawaii, the island's name is Hawaii island"

JA- (getting frustrated) "I know, I know...what island?"

ME - "Oahu"

JA- "OK, thank you, 73"
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

ME - "Oahu"

JA- "OK, thank you, 73"
View Quote

Should have said Cuba.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]

I know JA's are a treat for you mainland guys but they are so easy out here they are a pain in the ass when I call CQ.  Had this conversation one time after exchanging signa strengths and names:

ME - "Oahu"

JA- "OK, thank you, 73"
View All Quotes

Congratulations! I've never even heard a Japanese station before. Sorry to hear about your other issues.

ME - "Oahu"

JA- "OK, thank you, 73"

some people
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting side-effect of this IARU contest is that there are so many stations calling, that I am not running into pile-ups and have added 5 countries I didn't have before, without a lot of effort.  Perhaps they will even confirm, who knows.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 7:47:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#9]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
ahh, is that what's going on, on 20m?   it's wall to wall callsigns on FT8
View Quote

Yes, it is on all(?) frequencies: http://www.arrl.org/iaru-hf-world-championship

I am not participating in the contest, and I don't do FT8, but I have made phone QSOs on 10M, 20M, and 40M today pretty easily. Added 7 countries that I did not have, over a couple of sessions today. As long as you can tell the contest participants which ITU Zone you're in, they're happy.

ETA: ITU Zone map: https://www.mapability.com/ei8ic/maps/ituzone.php
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting side-effect of this IARU contest is that there are so many stations calling, that I am not running into pile-ups and have added 5 countries I didn't have before, without a lot of effort.  Perhaps they will even confirm, who knows.
View Quote

Awesome! I've added the following new countries today:

Turkey
Martinique
Latvia
Bolivia
Denmark
Moldova
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Turkey
Martinique
Latvia
Bolivia
Denmark
Moldova
View Quote

Awesome, the only one of those I have is Denmark.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Turkey
Martinique
Latvia
Bolivia
Denmark
Moldova
View Quote

I want a Moldova QSL card that looks like this

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#13]

I want a Moldova QSL card that looks like this
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fXYzotyV_7w/TbXdaG3WvJI/AAAAAAAAAKk/dby18-QDghI/s1600/moldova_sucks.bmp
View Quote

Good one!
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:34:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#14]

Awesome, the only one of those I have is Denmark.
View Quote

Thanks. I'm at 96 countries, with today being the 10-week mark of my HF career. Sadly, only about 3/4 of those have been confirmed so far. I was on vacation in the Smokies for 5 days earlier in the week and missed my radio time -- during some of the best solar measurements since I started.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RED_5:

ahh, is that what's going on, on 20m?   it's wall to wall callsigns on FT8
View Quote

I think it's CW and phone only, no digital modes.  I said "I Think" because the rules only discuss CW and SSB.  They didn't make any mention of data modes at all so I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:44:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#16]
Just got UN1HQ in Kazakhstan on 14.286 within about a minute!

EDIT: Just in time, too! Lightning and heavy rain just hit and I had to disconnect everything.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got UN1HQ in Kazakhstan on 14.286 within about a minute!

EDIT: Just in time, too! Lightning and heavy rain just hit and I had to disconnect everything.
View Quote

That station is part of the IARU contest.  The "HQ" denotes it's a national radio club facility, such as W1AW would be in the USA.

You're lucky, they will likely confirm the QSO.  I have a lot more contacts there than I do confirmations.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I ran into an unusual station this morning.  8N0OLP is a special event station for the Tokyo Olympics and their QRZ page states:

All the QSL cards will be sent to you via the Bureau automatically.
You don't need to send us your QSL card.
However, if you would like to receive our QSL card directly,
please send us your QSL card directly with SASE.

I've never run across an SES that sends EVERY contact a QSL through the bureau.  They are going to be sending a BUNCH of cards!

There is also an implied question there.  It states that if you want to receive a card via direct to send them an SASE.  How can we, in the USA, send an SASE with postage that will be accepted by the Japanese postal service?  I ask because I worked a Canadian SES a while back whose QRZ page said the same thing.  I sent him an email asking for clarification but never got an answer.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:39:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#19]
Originally Posted By SACraig:

That station is part of the IARU contest.  The "HQ" denotes it's a national radio club facility, such as W1AW would be in the USA.

You're lucky, they will likely confirm the QSO.  I have a lot more contacts there than I do confirmations.
View Quote

Pretty much all the stations I got tonight had "HQ" suffixes, as I specifically targeted them even if I already had confirmations from those countries.

As for the Tokyo station that will send every QSO a card via the bureau, I saw at least on HQ station's page say the same tonight (EM5HQ).
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Pretty much all the stations I got tonight had "HQ" suffixes, as I specifically targeted them even if I already had confirmations from those countries.

As for the Tokyo station that will send every QSO a card via the bureau, I saw at least on HQ station's page say the same tonight (EM5HQ).
View Quote

Figures.  I worked 9 of them but not that one.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 12:31:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#21]
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 3:18:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I love the IARU contest!  Tonight I got France, Germany, Czech, and Philippines!
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Finally got another DX contact.  DY1T in the Philippines (sexy voice )
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 12:59:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#24]
You guys getting the Philippines have got it going on. I saw a couple of stations spotted last night and couldn't hear either one. I was up until around midnight and got up at 5:30 AM this morning to try for a Japanese station. I had to go out with a flashlight to turn my inverted-V (which involved climbing a woven wire fence twice), yet I still never heard a single one. I got V31HQ and SI9YL and went  back to bed at 7:30 AM.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, a QSO with the far east would be REALLY cool.

Turns out that my QSOs with Lebanon count as asia.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#26]
OH0SCA is working split listening on 14.255 and responding on 14.250.
He is on an island between Sweden and Finland.
Activation from  Brando Island (part of the Aland Islands group IOTA EU-002) starting July 11, 2021 by Adrian KO8SCA
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:44:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#27]
Originally Posted By cjk:
Activation from  Brando Island (part of the Aland Islands group IOTA EU-002) starting July 11, 2021 by Adrian KO8SCA
View Quote

Got him on the first try as soon as I walked in from work just now. Thanks!

I love split mode and don't know why more of the in-demand DX don't use it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#28]
How do you log/confirm a QSO when it was in split mode?
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:21:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#29]
View Quote

Right or wrong, I log the frequency I'm listening on. Confirmations only need the band, not the exact frequency.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

There is no requirement to keep a log these days but I still do.  That said, the reason for a log originally was to keep track of every emission your radio made.  For that reason I've always logged the transmit frequency and noted it as a split transmission in the comments.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#31]
You guys getting the Philippines have got it going on. I saw a couple of stations spotted last night and couldn't hear either one. I was up until around midnight and got up at 5:30 AM this morning to try for a Japanese station. I had to go out with a flashlight to turn my inverted-V (which involved climbing a woven wire fence twice), yet I still never heard a single one. I got V31HQ and SI9YL and went  back to bed at 7:30 AM.
View Quote

I worked the Philippines during the contest, but forgot to log it :(
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:

I worked the Philippines during the contest, but forgot to log it :(
View Quote

Check eQSL.  If he happens to send an unsolicited QSL to your call eQSL will ask you to confirm it and you can get all the QSO information from there.  If you don't have one you'll have to set up an account there, of course.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Not DX however K9R is on 14.316 at 07/14/21 02:56Z and he is strong into Middle Tennessee.  It's a Special Event Station for the Red Skelton Museum.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 1:03:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By cjk:
View Quote
I saw his call come up on the SpotCollector this morning and was hoping I could try for a contact.  But it appears the best times for DX in my area happen when I'm sitting here at work.  Ah, well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#35]
14.190 EA6/EA#HSO Balearic Islands (Spain) is on. Mallorca.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SACraig:
 How can we, in the USA, send an SASE with postage that will be accepted by the Japanese postal service?
View Quote

They are callled Green Stamps and they go INSIDE the envelope when you mail it to Japan.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#37]
HZ1TT  in Saudi Arabia on 14.193
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#38]
HZ1TT  in Saudi Arabia on 14.193
View Quote

MEGA pile up!
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#39]
14.262 LA1B  Norway. No pile up yet.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 6:03:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#40]
14.262 LA1B  Norway. No pile up yet.
View Quote

Got him during the IARU championship last weekend. It must be nice to be on the radio. We are in the middle of a thunderstorm with the heaviest rain I've seen in quite a while. I'm having withdrawals waiting for it to pass. The band has been horrible for me the last few days, with an enormous noise floor.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#41]
HZ1SK from Saudi Arabia on 14.155
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#42]
OH0SCA/8 Finland 14.200 No pile up.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Take the "/8" off and you have the callsign of the DXpedition to the Aland Islands.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 2:33:22 AM EDT
[#44]
DK8DV, Bremen Germany

Already have the QSL card made out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 7:27:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#45]

Take the "/8" off and you have the callsign of the DXpedition to the Aland Islands.
View All Quotes

I am not sure how the slash call signs work. When I plug it into QRZ I get a guy out of NY, but then he has a link to this arctic circle Finland thing.

ETA: Tooling around 20M after that, I tried to respond to someone far off (I forget where) who couldn't hear me and faded away, then a very strong signal came in and said they could hear me fine, so we started talking and had a fairly long QSO. Turns out he is only EIGHT MILES away from me and the VP of the amateur radio club in the town next to mine. Emailed me a bunch of info. Nice guy.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Correct.

the /8 means he is operating in Northern Finland, though.

Bet your QSL cad is Finland.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 3:52:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#47]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

Correct.

Bet your QSL card is Finland.
View Quote

Yeah, if he got him as /8. I got him the other day without the /8, so hopefully I get an Aland Islands card.

I've been trying for two days to get my 100th DX country. The band has been pretty noisy for me and I called a Qatar station this afternoon for probably an hour until he went QRT. And I can't hear the Albania station because he is dead nuts on 14.230 -- right on the SSTV frequency.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

Correct.

Bet your QSL cad is Finland.
View Quote

I sent him an email asking. Will see what he says.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#49]
EA3JE Spain on 14.228 rn.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#50]
EA9ACD in Ceuta & Melilla on 14.238
Page / 59
Tacked DX Spotting Here (Page 23 of 59)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top