User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That went together fast!  Looks great!    This explains why you weren't on the IRLP/Echolink net last night!  LOL!

I received the PAE heatsink yesterday from one of our Arfcom brothers to try out and compare to the others.
View Quote

Yup I was busy putting it together after a 200 mile back roads motorcycle ride all over NoVA.  I think you will like the PAE heat sink. Just FYI use the long scew for your filters

Just made my first QSO. N3BUO in Texas. 10w on 20m, and he was calling CQ for the ITU contest.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Just got W100AW and YV1KK in Venezuela

Also I am crying tears of joy. I knew I wanted to flash my firmware with the beta release to try out the "fast play" mode. I figured I would have to use my Windows virtual machine or an actual icky windows box

Nope. I went to download the utility and there it was in all of its tarball glory. A native Linux utility, and the best part was I didn't even have to compile it

I am all smiles right now.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It went together pretty well. I have a few screws and washers left over, but I guess that just saves weight or it is because Elecraft sends you extras/spares (is that so hard for others to do?)
View Quote

Congrats!!

Save those extra screws and washers.  They are spares for when you build your next Elecraft kit (and you will).  
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#4]
You mean, they actually acknowledge that people don't use windows?

Gasp.

Guess who's next for a kx3? *sigh*
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Gasp.

View Quote

Do it!

Right now I am listening to some awesome tin foil on 80m. I have all the power saving stuff in place and can hear all the stations clear as day. I am drawing .164mA at 13.2v, that is right around 2W!
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Do it!

Right now I am listening to some awesome tin foil on 80m. I have all the power saving stuff in place and can hear all the stations clear as day. I am drawing .164mA at 13.2v, that is right around 2W!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gasp.

Do it!

I found him too. He's having a "town hall" meeting but as far as I can tell he's the only one there.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I found him too. He's having a "town hall" meeting but as far as I can tell he's the only one there.

View Quote

If you are near the top of the band it sounds like only one, because each person takes 15min haha
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you are near the top of the band it sounds like only one, because each person takes 15min haha

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah he kept saying he was going to 40m to bring someone back to 80m so they could have a 2 way conversation for his "town hall" meeting lol.

He's back now exposing the government bullshit. Now he's asking for women to crawl under the table and "take care of him". He's funny even with nobody else there.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nah he kept saying he was going to 40m to bring someone back to 80m so they could have a 2 way conversation for his "town hall" meeting lol.

He's back now exposing the government bullshit. Now he's asking for women to crawl under the table and "take care of him". He's funny even with nobody else there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either way I am going to start listening to 80m more often

Also  I wish someone would have informed me about the "mon" function in the KX3. I spent 10 min thinking I was getting RFI back into the shack.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 12:12:37 AM EDT
[#10]
He's still on, it's like listening to a radio version of General here lol. Oooh he got one now.
3.839. Captain Dave

But back on topic. I really wanted to build an elecraft kit but I wanted to get on the air first. Now I might have to do a K2 now that the pressue is off to make sure it actually works.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#11]
The K2 is a full blown kit kit. It isn't for the light hearted. I would also make sure you have a good set of test equipment.

For a kit to get your feet wet I would look at Youkits, qrpkits, or the 4 state qrp club.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#12]
My latest accessory came in

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Do the end plates make it hard to make adjustments?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do the end plates make it hard to make adjustments?
View Quote

Pushing buttons, no. The far right knob (VFO B, OFS, menu select) was hard at first. I wanted to pinch turn it and that wasn't working. Now I just use my right thumb to roll it.

After using it I don't notice it anymore. The sides are worth it IMO. The cover that snaps in is nice and my paddles fit inside nicely.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I keep fighting the urge to get a KX3.....but I am getting weaker by the minute.

I just don't think I would get much use out of a QRP rig. It sure looks neat the way you have it set up though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Soon I will be adding the amp so there goes QRP
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#17]

See your tuned into the party freq. Nice!

KX3 is on my short list.

Looks great gcw.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Just got another email from Elecraft. A product has been shipped
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

More words about this please.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new K4?  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I enjoy the radio as is, a little extra power can never hurt.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Save those extra screws and washers.  They are spares for when you build your next Elecraft kit (and you will).  

Told you.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice!  

...and I thought it was going to be the XG50, since you had mentioned the temp compensation procedure.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nice!  

...and I thought it was going to be the XG50, since you had mentioned the temp compensation procedure.
View Quote

I still need to do the temp comp. I haven't had any big issues with it though. Yesterday I did over an hour of JT65 at 10w. I did drift a couple cycles according to BD. However like the video showed I never got over 50c.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Told you.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Told you.  

Now it is time to start saving for little shack stuff I have been wanting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I still need to do the temp comp. I haven't had any big issues with it though. Yesterday I did over an hour of JT65 at 10w. I did drift a couple cycles according to BD. However like the video showed I never got over 50c.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!  

Congrats on the new amp, gcw!  Don't buy the XG50, Brundoggie has it now and you can use it when he's finished, if you like.  I still copied all your TX's 100%, so it wasn't a big problem.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#27]
That would be awesome!

I have been reading up on the temp procedure and think that might be what I need.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That would be awesome!

I have been reading up on the temp procedure and think that might be what I need.
View Quote

I'll try and get my testing completed in the next couple of days and then pass it on to you.  Your address in QRZ correct?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'll try and get my testing completed in the next couple of days and then pass it on to you.  Your address in QRZ correct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That would be awesome!

IM inbound
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow!  Looks great!  And it went together pretty fast, too.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I guess I need to get that end plate modeled soon.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Damn your mailman is good. Getting you your package with no readable address on it. Mine can't even seem to find the box.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#35]
I have only played with it a little so far but have been very happy. I really like the built in antenna switch. There are also some mounting holes that I hope to put to use soon.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Love how he carved out his call (OE2ATN) in Morse code at the bottom!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I've got mine on order and am LOVING it that there is such great info here - it will make my build so much easier!!!
Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:01:31 AM EDT
[#38]
gcw; What is sitting under your laptop?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
gcw; What is sitting under your laptop?
View Quote

I have one even older than that.   Second gen I think, because it has WeFax and the parallel port but not the MBX.   Which would make it about 30 years old (or slightly more than half my age)!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top