Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2014 8:45:40 AM EDT
Ordered the KX3 this morning.

I used one at the VA qso party and thought it was a good radio. Then during field day it was confirmed.

While AR-Jedi and Bigdaddy are partially to blame, most of the fault is on Echomancer.

Package 1 PAE heatsink

Package 2 Side plates and cover

Package 3 Faceplate and serial number
They forgot to put this in the box. They emailed me that day and mailed it out. It beat the radio haha. Serial number is in the 6k, guess they have been selling a few

Package 4 The radio has come!

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on your new rig!

I wish you guys would quit buying those friggin things!

Note to myself: I don't need another radio, I don't need another radio, I don't ....

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the dark side.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I used one at the VA qso party and thought it was a good radio. Then during field day it was confirmed.

While AR-Jedi and Bigdaddy are partially to blame, most of the fault is on Echomancer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Congrats! It's a great radio.

Quoted:
Congrats on your new rig!

I wish you guys would quit buying those friggin things!

Note to myself: I don't need another radio, I don't need another radio, I don't ....

If you ever want to try one out you know where to find one (somewhat) close to you.
Come on...give it a try...all the cool kids are doing it...the first QSO is free.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats, gcw!  

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#5]
You're welcome

BTW, Field Day overview video should be done by Friday :)
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You're welcome

View Quote

Sweet. Hopefully you can edit my ramblings into something at makes sense

While I was at it I add the 2m module (doesn't ship until September). Wayne posted on the email reflector that he has got 4-5W out of it. Since the idea of the radio (for me) is SOTA type stuff. 5W and my Arrow ontop of a hill would do pretty good. Now I am having second thoughts. I am going to call to confirm with them, but it looks like the module doubles the current draw.

The KX3 draws around 200mA and can get down to 150mA. They say with the 2m module current draw on RX is around 300-350mA. Unless that is only while in 2m operation, or there is a menu option to disable it while on HF I don't think it fits what I want the radio for. I will report back on what they say.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Congrats. Hopefully we can get what we discussed working. :D
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

While I was at it I add the 2m module (doesn't ship until September). Wayne posted on the email reflector that he has got 4-5W out of it. Since the idea of the radio (for me) is SOTA type stuff. 5W and my Arrow ontop of a hill would do pretty good. Now I am having second thoughts. I am going to call to confirm with them, but it looks like the module doubles the current draw.

The KX3 draws around 200mA and can get down to 150mA. They say with the 2m module current draw on RX is around 300-350mA. Unless that is only while in 2m operation, or there is a menu option to disable it while on HF I don't think it fits what I want the radio for. I will report back on what they say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're welcome

There is.  Welcome to the cult.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#9]
So the 300mA draw is only on VHF?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats on joining the club!  Hopefully I can work you summit to summit one day!
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Congrats on joining the club!  Hopefully I can work you summit to summit one day!
View Quote

That would be awesome.

BTW do you have anymore pictures of your nalgeen case for the kx3?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That would be awesome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be awesome.

Here is what I have.  I can certainly take more if you let me know what you are interested in seeing.  They run about $18.00 on Amazon.

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So the 300mA draw is only on VHF?
View Quote

I would imagine so. Mine only draws 150 or so ma on receive. So about 150ma additionally for the VHF on top of the HF. The menu on mine does have the 2M module on/off, but I don't yet have a module.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#14]
i hate you all. i would love to have one but i just cant pull the trigger on a $1000 radio that is only 10w. i still want one though. the wife would KILL me though if i did order one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
...the wife would KILL me though if i did order one.
View Quote

We won't tell her, trust us.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, what radio
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

right now i am pretty pissed at her. i had my radio, tuner and PS on top of my battery charger and inverter in a box, well, it seems she had a can of paint that leaked into the bottom of the box. imagine 1/2-3/4 of an inch of latex paint in the bottom of a box. radio, tuner and PS are ok except the cord for my power adapter for my tuner is inside all that pain as is my inverter and my battery charger. i am in the process of putting my hurricane power box back together for the year and went to get everything together and that is what i found. i am NOT HAPPY right now but on the good side i did finally brake down and buy a battery tender Jr for the hurricane box so at least i can charge my battery. to bad i wont be able to power anything because my inverter if now glued to the bottom of a cardboard box.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got off the phone with Elecraft. They confirmed that the 300mA draw is only on VHF. When the radio is in HF mode the 2m module is powered off.

That makes me a happy camper.

That combined with the Arrow antenna could make for a decent mountain top rig.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
radio, tuner and PS are ok
View Quote

No they aren't. They are ruined and need to be replaced. It is her fault and she should buy you a new KX3 to replace them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No they aren't. They are ruined and need to be replaced. It is her fault and she should buy you a new KX3 to replace them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
radio, tuner and PS are ok

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

update, battery charger will need to be taken apart to remove paint from inside the cooling vents and it will need new clips since they ripped right off. i still cant get the inverter to budge. im more pissed about the inverter than the charger since its a cheap walmart charger and didnt charge to the voltage i want it to. so far the battery tender Jr is getting the job done.

update #2, inverter is toast. i am NOT taking that thing apart to get all the paint out of it even if i could get the paint from around it. i did get some off the bottom and found corrosion so its shot. need to make a run and grab a new one i guess.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Buy this too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#22]

I was close but decided a solar setup would be more useful at the moment. I have thought about selling my Youkits to help fund it but not set on the idea.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#24]

I ordered one of those Sigg cases, but didn't like the lack of clearance lid to bottom.  My KX3 with Side KX end plates would bow the lid out, without any additional padding top or bottom.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#25]
You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I am excited. I think I am going to get two of those condor water pouches. One for the radio and one for the battery/power cables.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Dear lord that is sexy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Dear lord that is sexy.
View All Quotes

Yea it is
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Stop it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#30]

I've wondered if that is actually waterproof...
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Something I'm not going to find out with a $1300 radio.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Welcome to the KKKK!

(KX3 Kool Kids Klub)
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I was going through my emails a little while ago and noticed I ordered two paddles. That is a problem because I am just now learning how to send with one hand, much less two.

Called them and they apologized and that the package was on it's way out the door. They went and pulled them and said they will be refunding my card. Great service.

Also the side plates shipped. The heat sink guy is out of town (understandable for the 4th) but sent me an email saying he would ship as soon as he was home next week.

The plan is coming together
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#34]
"I love it when a plan comes together."
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something you might find out the wrong way with a $1300 radio...
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Even if it was, the few I saw now have an antenna connector out the side.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 12:00:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It is a standard Sigg Box, and they have do have a thin gasket in the lid.  I have one, and would say it is highly water resistant, but not waterproof.  Under normal use, water won't get in.  Submerge it in a lake, and you will likely find a leak.  These boxes also dent very easily.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#38]
I had looked at the sigg box but decided against it due to digital work.  The heat would build up under the faceplate unless you used a fan etc to ventilate.  Running a fan would take some juice that I want to use for transmitting.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Package 1 in OP
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It is a standard Sigg Box, and they have do have a thin gasket in the lid.  I have one, and would say it is highly water resistant, but not waterproof.  Under normal use, water won't get in.  Submerge it in a lake, and you will likely find a leak.  These boxes also dent very easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know, if I ever decide to go this route. It would mainly need to be rainproof when closed.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Package 2 and 3
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#42]
3 packages and still no radio. OP fails to deliver.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
3 packages and still no radio. OP fails to deliver.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Package 4 The radio has come!

It went together pretty well. I have a few screws and washers left over, but I guess that just saves weight or it is because Elecraft sends you extras/spares (is that so hard for others to do?)

There is plenty of thermal compound on the heat sink and PA. Right now I am running off of battery power and everything seems to be working. I still need to calibrate the filters, but that sounds like a project for tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#45]
An update after playing with it all night (the radio you pervs).

The receiver is amazing it pulls out so much. The ergonomics are really nice but the side plates kinda get in the way of a couple operations, however they are worth it.

So far my only gripe has to be the power of the audio amplifier. It is just so quiet that you have to leave it cranked up or use an external speaker.

Last night I was running of new energizer AAs. I had the radio running for a couple hours before I talked on it. I heard some guys on 40 finishing up a QSO, so I sent my call. He came back with my prefix and QRZ? I sent it again but half way through the batteries gave out

Also the CW decoder is amazing. I have used other decoders but the just throw a lot of Es and Ts out. I listened to 3 different rag chews and read the whole thing.

It is also really neat to use it for learning to send cw.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Get a amplified PC speaker to help the weak audio.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Remember that with thermal compound less is more. Generally apply to both mating surfaces and use a razor to remove excess-only filling the voids!

Kinda makes me wish I was brave enough to tear my radio apart to use compound on the PAs.

Did you remove coating on the external case for the heatsink?  After reading more I decided it wasn't strictly necessary.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Get a amplified PC speaker to help the weak audio.
View Quote

There is one in the last picture.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Remember that with thermal compound less is more. Generally apply to both mating surfaces and use a razor to remove excess-only filling the voids!

Kinda makes me wish I was brave enough to tear my radio apart to use compound on the PAs.

Did you remove coating on the external case for the heatsink?  After reading more I decided it wasn't strictly necessary.
View Quote

Even less makes a mess

I took the finish off of the outside case. It is thick, really thick. Once I got it smooth I put compound on both surfaces and then spread it with a credit card. The amps were a little more tricky just because I didn't want to make a mess.

Bring it over sometime and we can put it together.

I put the whole kit together in less than 2 hours with a screwdriver and pair of needle nose pliers.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#50]
That went together fast!  Looks great!    This explains why you weren't on the IRLP/Echolink net last night!  LOL!

I received the PAE heatsink yesterday from one of our Arfcom brothers to try out and compare to the others.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top