Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 9:19:51 AM EDT
I work with a newer Amateur Radio OP and he is looking very serious at the KX3.

He asked my opinion and I told him I have the K3 and really I really like mine,
and that I have only heard good things about the KX3.

He is looking at eventually getting the KX3 and the Matching Amp.

He is also thinking about getting the tuner and I told him if it were me
I would put a tuner into both units (KX3 and the Amp) for maximum flexibility.
since he wants it for both a Base and a Portable while camping etc.

I want to steer him in the right direction.

Any Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it is great advice. It is in the upper end of the price range for a good 100w radio. For a couple hundred less you can get a TS-590 but that isn't much of a /p radio. Essentially you get two radios with one. There are some extra cables but you can make your own to custom fit the base instillation.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't know if you saw this....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/673626_Guerilla_portable__Afghan_style.html
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, good advice.  I like mine a lot.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I love mine.  There is a lot you can do with the radio and it is very full featured.  One thing I really like is I not only have the radio as I bought it, but also any future features that they push out through updates.  I know this is one radio where I will never wish I had purchased something else.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I like mine, but it's not without its quirks.

By necessity, the user interface is kind of wonky - Entering numbers is accomplished by pressing a combination of buttons and knobs scattered all over the front panel.

As with all their other radios, Elecraft has taken the nanny-state approach to transmit frequency coverage - i.e., it only transmits where one of their software engineers decided it would transmit.

Would really like to see some sort of illumination for the front panel - and another 10 watts or so of RF output (even if it meant going to Li-Ion or LiPo for the internal battery pack). That would also put it within spitting distance of driving the KPA-500 linear to full output - barefoot. Currently, it's working hard to push 250 watts out of the linear.

The audio output through the built-in speaker is wimpy and buzz-prone. With headphones, it's superb.

The combination of SDR and a very responsive tech community is wonderful - In the short time I've owned the radio, I've already seen some major feature and minor performance upgrades.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Elecraft limited the transmit frequencies in order to get FCC certification. It has nothing to do with a "nanny state" mentality of their software engineers.

If you have a legitimate need they will unlock the radio with a software patch, just like FlexRadio does with their rigs.

For me all I had to do was email them a copy of my USAF MARS license.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Elecraft limited the transmit frequencies in order to get FCC certification. It has nothing to do with a "nanny state" mentality of their software engineers.

If you have a legitimate need they will unlock the radio with a software patch, just like FlexRadio does with their rigs.

View Quote

I never really had a problem with rigs being limited to ham bands only,
It helps me in case I screw up. I have no reason to transmit out of band.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's more than one way to "get FCC certification".

The fact that other manufacturers manage to do it without firmware-locking their products tells you everything need to know about Elecraft.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

They never asked for my MARS license, just sent me the unlock program when I asked.

It's a very small program too, very easy to email.

ETA: That being said, I love my KX3 and don't regret the purchase .

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The fact that other manufacturers manage to do it without firmware-locking their products tells you everything need to know about Elecraft.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What manufactures do this? Other than the cheap Chicom HT's I can't think of anyone that sells gear like that.

The KPA500 amp is also firmware locked to inhibit transmit from 26 thru 28 Mhz for FCC certification too.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What manufactures do this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What manufactures do this?

A lot of Icom and Yaesu gear isn't firmware-locked. Typically, "opening up" the radio involves removing just a couple of diodes.

Remove cover, de-solder or clip diodes, replace cover, and you're done.

3-4 minutes, tops.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:57:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please take it to another thread.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I was looking hard at the KX3 when I started out (a short 2 months ago) but comparing prices versus features the KX3 lost out to an IC-7200 and separate tuner for me.  Of course it doesn't help that I am "frugal" and would probably not take it out of the base station.  If he likes the price versus features then he should go for it.  This advice is worth just exactly what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:29:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was looking hard at the KX3 when I started out (a short 2 months ago) but comparing prices versus features the KX3 lost out to an IC-7200 and separate tuner for me.  Of course it doesn't help that I am "frugal" and would probably not take it out of the base station.  If he likes the price versus features then he should go for it.  This advice is worth just exactly what you paid for it.
View Quote

I tend to be frugal as well, but the portability, ability to do digital modes w/o a computer won me out. I plan on doing SOTA activations pretty heavy when I get back as Montana is virtually untouched as far as SOTA and I want the most capable portable I could get, for me, that was the KX3.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I tend to be frugal as well, but the portability, ability to do digital modes w/o a computer won me out. I plan on doing SOTA activations pretty heavy when I get back as Montana is virtually untouched as far as SOTA and I want the most capable portable I could get, for me, that was the KX3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you done a SOTA op at you current location yet?

You would certainly create a pileup on the air if you did.

Also send Elecraft you pics of your radio in use. I bet they would get a kick out of that also!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Have you done a SOTA op at you current location yet?

You would certainly create a pileup on the air if you did.

Also send Elecraft you pics of your radio in use. I bet they would get a kick out of that also!
View Quote

I'm sure it would cause more of a pileup than I normally do.

No SOTA for me here, I get out & about, but not on any mountains.

I could send Elecraft some pics from my guerrilla portable expedition, they might like those.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I could send Elecraft some pics from my guerrilla portable expedition, they might like those.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm sure they would love some of your pictures!

Quoted:

I went through the same thought process and ended up with a 7200 as my base station as well. The feature set for the money was hard for me to beat. I am now seriously considering a KX3 in addition to the 7200 for the summer months of me getting out and portable while camping/hiking/etc. the both seem to be very good at what they do, but it really comes down to the same questions that are always asked in these threads: "How do you plan to operate?" "What is your budget?" "What is you experience level?"
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#18]

I went through the same thought process and ended up with a 7200 as my base station as well. The feature set for the money was hard for me to beat. I am now seriously considering a KX3 in addition to the 7200 for the summer months of me getting out and portable while camping/hiking/etc. the both seem to be very good at what they do, but it really comes down to the same questions that are always asked in these threads: "How do you plan to operate?" "What is your budget?" "What is you experience level?"
View Quote

SOTA sounds like fun in a masochistic way.  Had not heard of it when researching the radios at that time.   There are a couple peaks near me that are listed in the database that supposedly have not been activated.  Looks like I will need to do more reading.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was looking hard at the KX3 when I started out (a short 2 months ago) but comparing prices versus features the KX3 lost out to an IC-7200 and separate tuner for me.
View Quote

I ended up getting both.

IMO, the IC-7200 is considerably more user-friendly - but the KX3 is a LOT easier to carry around...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:37:05 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Quoted:

I did the same. Although for me, I am not concerned so much with portability as I am survivability (i.e. after hurricane).  The KX3 is still intriguing to me, but digital modes leaves me cold. To me, if I want to use a computer, I can just send e-mail.  I am too many years in commercial radio to let go of my watch or voice transmissions

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:12:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I did the same. Although for me, I am not concerned so much with portability as I am survivability (i.e. after hurricane).  The KX3 is still intriguing to me, but digital modes leaves me cold. To me, if I want to use a computer, I can just send e-mail.  I am too many years in commercial radio to let go of my watch or voice transmissions

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the beauty of the KX3, no computer needed to recieve or transmit Psk31 / RTTY, both of which have a better signal / noise ratio for assured comms than voice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

SOTA sounds like fun in a masochistic way.  Had not heard of it when researching the radios at that time.   There are a couple peaks near me that are listed in the database that supposedly have not been activated.  Looks like I will need to do more reading.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't know that I would be as interested in SOTA if I lived in MT. Y'all have some big ones out there! From time to time I get winded climbing the stairs out of mom's basement.
No seriously though, it looks like a very fun time. My wife is interest in giving it a try as well so that is a good thing. I figure that we can use the kids like pack goats!
Top Top