ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
Military
Posted: 3/30/2014 4:05:43 PM
[Last Edit: 3/30/2014 6:18:36 PM by K9-Bob]
I know there are a number of guys running the Elecraft KX3 QRP radio. I found a nice, but somewhat pricey custom heat sink that a Canadian ham is building and offering for sale.

Here is a blog link that has a good closeup of the heat sink. http://www.aerodynes.fr/2014/03/26/heat-sink-for-the-kx3/

VE7FMN - Fred Meier has a listing on QTH.com if anyone is interested. Just search for his call sign on the QTH website and you will find his ad.

I hope this helps those looking for a heat sink for their KX3.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell
gcw
The mark of an educated mind is one that can...
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2014 4:38:28 PM
That looks pretty nice. Sucks you have to spend another $100 to do digital modes with it though.
robmkivseries70
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2014 5:57:39 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By gcw:
That looks pretty nice. Sucks you have to spend another $100 to do digital modes with it though.

I have to agree, but given the price of the rig it's not too bad. 73, Rob
De-funding Obama Care, by this Congress or the next!
K9-Bob
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2014 6:03:58 PM

If I owned the KX3 I am absolutely certain that I would buy this heat sink.

The guy even rounded off the sharp edges and the powder coat looks top notch.

As with all things you often times get what you pay for.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell
BigDaddy0004
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2014 6:25:42 PM
[Last Edit: 4/13/2014 7:30:18 PM by BigDaddy0004]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
http://www.aerodynes.fr/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/IMG_20140325_152422-1024x757.jpg

I like the look of this heatsink very much and may consider getting one for my KX3. Thanks K9-Bob for the tip.
Worf: No! Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects. (dreamily) And claw at you.

The Sphinx: When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack.
gcw
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2014 6:29:09 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
http://www.aerodynes.fr/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/IMG_20140325_152422-1024x757.jpg

It does like great. Way better than the other DIY attempts that are out there.
Mr_Harry
"Yams"
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2014 6:48:45 PM
Nice, and really not that bad considering it is custom machined.

You get what you pay for

Thank God I had the privilege to serve.
K9-Bob
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2014 6:49:07 PM
I am very tempted to buy a KX3 radio, but I really can't justify the cost. I don't think I would really use a QRP rig all that much.
Mr_Harry
"Yams"
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2014 6:53:04 PM
I am very tempted to buy a KX3 radio, but I really can't justify the cost. I don't think I would really use a QRP rig all that much.

I'm pretty much the same way
BigDaddy0004
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2014 6:58:12 PM
[Last Edit: 3/30/2014 7:51:41 PM by BigDaddy0004]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Mr_Harry:

I was going to buy the KXPA100 amplifier recently, but since I already have and like my 7200, I decided to wait a while.
Worf: No! Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects. (dreamily) And claw at you.

The Sphinx: When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack.
gcw
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2014 7:01:58 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Mr_Harry:

I have plans on getting one before summer. I have used one with the KPA100 amp and it was a nice setup. I have somethings that I don't like but the pros outweigh them.

K9-Bob
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2014 8:33:40 PM
Originally Posted By Mr_Harry:

I have plans on getting one before summer. I have used one with the KPA100 amp and it was a nice setup. I have somethings that I don't like but the pros outweigh them.

http://a.pomf.se/ejkcdr.jpg

What were the things that you didn't care for with the KX3 ?

BigDaddy0004
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2014 8:48:32 PM
I've been looking into these heatsinks the last couple of days, and here's another one that's had some favorable reviews on the KX3 Yahoo group.

Mr_Harry
"Yams"
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2014 11:20:12 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By BigDaddy0004:
I've been looking into these heatsinks the last couple of days, and here's another one that's had some favorable reviews on the KX3 Yahoo group.

http://home.comcast.net/~gregbell/Elecraft KX3 Heatsink N8WTT.jpg

I like that one better

I would think to other one would catch on things

Brundoggie
ARFCOM Code Name: The Walrus
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2014 11:44:44 PM

Nice, just placed my order.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." - Charles Darwin
robmkivseries70
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2014 12:42:14 AM
Are you guys putting "thermal compound" in between the new and old heat sinks? 73, Rob
K9-Bob
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2014 12:49:18 AM
[Last Edit: 3/31/2014 12:57:13 AM by K9-Bob]
Here is another interesting link about KX3 cooling

http://blog.danegardner.com/2014/03/elecraft-kx3-heatsink-upgrade.html

Caution: Thermal compound is conductive, so use it with caution. If not you might let the smoke out.
MCSquared
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2014 2:15:34 AM
I know there are a number of guys running the Elecraft KX3 QRP radio. I found a nice, but somewhat pricey custom heat sink that a Canadian ham is building and offering for sale.

Here is a blog link that has a good closeup of the heat sink. http://www.aerodynes.fr/2014/03/26/heat-sink-for-the-kx3/

VE7FMN - Fred Meier has a listing on QTH.com if anyone is interested. Just search for his call sign on the QTH website and you will find his ad.

I hope this helps those looking for a heat sink for their KX3.

If I bought this one I'd buy it w/o the powder coating and anodize it black myself. The powder coating is $35.

Having said that, the other heat sink listed look much better and doesn't add bulk to the KX3.

Any reviews?
BigDaddy0004
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2014 8:41:57 AM
[Last Edit: 3/31/2014 9:48:27 AM by BigDaddy0004]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Brundoggie:
Originally Posted By BigDaddy0004:

Me, too. Estimated delivery: Thursday, Apr. 3.

The cost of this one was $85 + $5.80 shipping = $90.80 Delivered. Payed with PayPal... no extra fee. Made in USA.

The cost the one K9-Bob linked to was $55 + $37.25 Matte Black Powder Coating + $5 Quick Screw and Wrench Set + $18.75 Post and Packing to Lower 48 Without Tracking = $116 Delivered.
Post and Packing to Lower 48 With Tracking adds another $10. PayPal adds 3%. Made in Canada.

Originally Posted By robmkivseries70:
Are you guys putting "thermal compound" in between the new and old heat sinks? 73, Rob

Rob,
Haven't got that far yet, but I did read a little bit about that on the KX3 Yahoo group. Stay tuned.

gcw
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2014 9:34:30 AM
Originally Posted By gcw:
Originally Posted By Mr_Harry:

http://a.pomf.se/ejkcdr.jpg

What were the things that you didn't care for with the KX3 ?

It is nothing really related to the KX3 itself but the options that are offered. For a radio that I spend $1000 on I would like them to include a microphone. By the time you include the options like a tuner, side plates, heat sink, interface cables you get pretty close price wise to a new TS590. I know they are two different animals but it is just an eye opener.

I would like to play with the SDR side of the KX3 some more because I think that might put it over the top.

Overall it was an amazing radio with a pretty intuitive menu and buttons for all the common things.
robmkivseries70
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2014 10:33:01 AM
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:
Originally Posted By BigDaddy0004:

Me, too. Estimated delivery: Thursday, Apr. 3.

The cost of this one was $85 + $5.80 shipping = $90.80 Delivered. Payed with PayPal... no extra fee. Made in USA.

The cost the one K9-Bob linked to was $55 + $37.25 Matte Black Powder Coating + $5 Quick Screw and Wrench Set + $18.75 Post and Packing to Lower 48 Without Tracking = $116 Delivered.
Post and Packing to Lower 48 With Tracking adds another $10. PayPal adds 3%. Made in Canada.

Originally Posted By robmkivseries70:

Rob,
Haven't got that far yet, but I did read a little bit about that on the KX3 Yahoo group. Stay tuned.

Thanks BD I wasn't sure if the heat sink was "bolt on" or replaces the existing heat sink. 73, Rob
K9-Bob
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2014 1:03:44 PM
[Last Edit: 3/31/2014 1:04:42 PM by K9-Bob]
You must remove the original heat sink in order to install the new larger one.

Also take some time and read the second blog link I posted.

It goes into detail of one ham's experiences with using the larger heat sink. He talks about using thermal paste and a thermal pad to improve the heat dissipation of the new larger heat sink.

What was interesting about this was that he was able to run his rig at 10 watts output for extended periods of time with no issues.
robmkivseries70
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2014 4:22:15 PM

It goes into detail of one ham's experiences with using the larger heat sink. He talks about using thermal paste and a thermal pad to improve the heat dissipation of the new larger heat sink.

What was interesting about this was that he was able to run his rig at 10 watts output for extended periods of time with no issues.

Thanks K9, that answered my questions.
Rob
aa777888-2
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2014 9:50:01 PM
Arctic Silver 5 is the best thermal compound available. We use it on high power amplifier heatsinks and thermal testing shows that it consistently results in temperatures several degrees lower than any other compound we've tried. You can get it at Gigaparts.
Mr_Harry
"Yams"
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2014 10:06:27 PM

It is nothing really related to the KX3 itself but the options that are offered. For a radio that I spend $1000 on I would like them to include a microphone. By the time you include the options like a tuner, side plates, heat sink, interface cables you get pretty close price wise to a new TS590. I know they are two different animals but it is just an eye opener.

I would like to play with the SDR side of the KX3 some more because I think that might put it over the top.

Overall it was an amazing radio with a pretty intuitive menu and buttons for all the common things.

Ham radio has typically been a semi expensive hobby.

With Elecraft in particular it is the Customization that makes
them appealing; If they add all the extras then the price goes up.

I have absolutely no use for an internal tuner so for my K3 that is a $300 option that I did not need to buy.
But with other radios I had to pay for that option to have never used it.

As far as Microphones, those are another thing where a lot of people use headsets
or desk mics etc and the hand mic becomes another thing they paid for but never use.

As far as Elecraft as a whole, yes there stuff is pricier but people like it and are willing to pay the price.
Mr_Harry
"Yams"
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/31/2014 10:08:45 PM

Actually Heat is the biggest issue, if you can keep it cool that can go for a long time.

I have a DEMI transverter and the heat sink is about 10" x 7" for a 35 watt unit.

Previous Page
Page:  / 3
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED