Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 39
Posted: 11/6/2013 7:03:07 PM EDT
NET INFO
Friday 6PM PST to 7:30 ish. ANY of the nodes below will get you into the net.

AllStar 46535
IRLP Reflector 9257
Echolink Conference *DCF-ARC*

The ARF-COM IRLP/Echolink/AllStar Net will be held on IRLP Western Reflector 9257. This IRLP reflector is linked to Echolink Conference Server *DCF-ARC* 336037 full time. Also, ALLSTAR 46535 is connected 95% of the time.

Echolink user's just have to click on "Node Types", then "Conferences", then scroll down the list to "DCF-ARC". Click/tap DCF-ARC and then Connect.

IRLP user's, just come in on 9257.

Any and all hams are invited to check in but we are looking for the guys that are new to the hobby to get involved. If you unfamiliar with Echolink, google Echolink on your PC or go to the I/Play store and download the app. You need to register on their web site and get your call validated before it will work.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

The reason for the wanting to use a "bridged" channel is to make it easier for those that don't have a controllable IRLP node near them. They can of course come in through Echolink.

Those of us on HF have our own nets and places to go, but this net would give the newer Tech class guys/gals here on ARF somewhere go as well. Check it out, check in and have fun.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck. About 5 years ago, we had a regular echolink net. Until it became irregular. Then ceased to exist. I still have the echolink favorite list somewhere....
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]

There is so many new hams here, I was just thinking it would be something available for them and well as everyone else.

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Entirely worth a try. But it hasn't lasted long in the past. Even our weekly HF nets have been pretty hit and miss. Heck, i haven't checked in for weeks.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I would try, though I work 3pm to 11pm with my days off moving over one day per month... So I would only get to play for a couple months per year.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm game.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm interested.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:11:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Well I guess there will be a need to help some of the newer hams find their way to the conference/reflector. Let me work up a video explaining how to connect via IRLP and or Echolink. I'll come back and post a link a little later.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Honestly I would start out on echolink by itself then move to something connected to rf. Let the new guys that have had little to no time in front of a mic a chance to figure out protocol and all. And sometimes talking about some stuff that you do not want everyone to hear what you are trying can be nice too. You can set up an echolink conference and have it only allow approved callsigns.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly I would start out on echolink by itself then move to something connected to rf. Let the new guys that have had little to no time in front of a mic a chance to figure out protocol and all. And sometimes talking about some stuff that you do not want everyone to hear what you are trying can be nice too. You can set up an echolink conference and have it only allow approved callsigns.
View Quote

THIS. Also, there's a smartphone app to allow you to use Echolink when you're not near a radio for those who work late. I would like to get in on this because my HF antenna is currently inop and I have missed out on the ARFnets in the past.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd give it a try.  I know very little about Echolink though, other than I've used it on my phone to access the local 2m repeater if I'm out of town or forgot to charge the HT.

Maybe I could learn what else it can do.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

this is a good idea....

echolink ONLY... let the new people get past hitting that button and knowing what to say
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

this is a good idea....

echolink ONLY... let the new people get past hitting that button and knowing what to say
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is a good idea....

+1
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a fairly new tech and have echolink install.  
I would be interested.  Wednesday and Fridays evenings works.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Another tip. Rotate net control operators. Set up a schedule and have a different guys take a rotation as net control. Have a guy be backup in case the primary net control cannot run the show. If someone wants a preamble for running the nets let me know I have a few already worked up from other nets I help run.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Does this mean I would have to actually talk?

I don't even have my Mic plugged into my radio.

1087 contacts in my log and only 3 were on voice
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Another tip. Rotate net control operators. Set up a schedule and have a different guys take a rotation as net control. Have a guy be backup in case the primary net control cannot run the show. If someone wants a preamble for running the nets let me know I have a few already worked up from other nets I help run.
View Quote

Jazzemt is the first alternate controller.  

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Does this mean I would have to actually talk?

I don't even have my Mic plugged into my radio.

1087 contacts in my log and only 3 were on voice
View Quote

Check in through the chat box on Echolink and just say hi.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on the day of the week sure. I am up to my neck in CCW classes for Illinois at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#20]
So how do you get a roster of who is in a conference?
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I did a quick Echolink video to show some of the guys that dont know about Echolink how to get it started. You can download it on your phone from the play store or I store. Video is up loading now and I will post a link after I get back from the "reading" room.  

http://youtu.be/GSh2LJaHjsM

View Quote

Is that a picture of subnet sleeping in the background there?
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I did a quick Echolink video to show some of the guys that dont know about Echolink how to get it started. You can download it on your phone from the play store or I store. Video is up loading now and I will post a link after I get back from the "reading" room.  

View Quote

I CAN SEE MY AVATAR FROM HERE!!!'

good video!
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 3:07:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

If you talking about a net, roster's will be made from the check in list at the beginning of the net.

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 3:08:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#25]
So its like a chat room? How is it HAM related (since they want your license)?
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Echolink can be used via repeater to link around the world

we're just taking the RF part out to make it a bit easier and less intimidating
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Basically it's a VOIP server that you have to be a ham to use. And some places connect that server to radios so you can use their network from a repeater.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I would be interested in trying.  It is friday night, is there a node that would be used?

Goneunderhill
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you talking about a net, roster's will be made from the check in list at the beginning of the net.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it was more the 3/200 or whatever the conference can hold.  I didn't see a clean way to see who the "3" were.  Might be a dumb question but its all I've got right now.

Were we planning on giving this a shot tonight?

As an aside that is some good cw work there too scooter
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#30]
If this is a go for tonight, I'll try and check in. No promises, the timeframe requires a very quick departure from work, good traffic and an understanding family when I get home to get into the shack that quickly. If it's a go, please post conference or node # or whatever.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Timeframe?

I will have to install echolink somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#32]

When I started this thread I was figuring taking in some input and getting the word out for a week and starting this net next Friday. BUT, if some of you want to start it tonight, log in to the "DCF-ARC" Conference server on Echolink. If you want to come in on the IRLP side, Reflector 9257.
I was thinking next friday, the 15th would be a good start day, but today can sorta be a trial run in a round table format to give some a chance to introduce themselves.

Friday at 5:30 PM PST, 8:30 EST

Check in with your call sign, SLOWLY AND PHONETICALLY

When called by net control, keep transmissions to 2 1/2 min, and pause 3 seconds between transmissions.

Topic is OPEN
I'll be logged in around 5:00 if anyone wants to come in a little early for a pre-net chat. If your new to a net format and would like to ask a question, this would be the time to do it. I just ask that the channel be cleared a few min before 5:30 for the star of the net.

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By CaptainSkullet
No it was more the 3/200 or whatever the conference can hold.  I didn't see a clean way to see who the "3" were.  Might be a dumb question but its all I've got right now.

View Quote

The "3" would be the number of people logged into the conference. That number will go up and down and the call signs are listed in the right side of the echolink window.

Yes, I'm considering tonight a rehearsal for the start of the net next week on the 15th. I'll be logged in at 5 and we can start a round table at 5:30. Think of this as a meet and greet.  

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

If this is a go for tonight, I'll try and check in. No promises, the timeframe requires a very quick departure from work, good traffic and an understanding family when I get home to get into the shack that quickly. If it's a go, please post conference or node # or whatever.

View Quote

No rush, when ever you like just call for a late check-in if were are past the first round. Tonight might be 3-4 check-in's with the late notice so we'll be on the 2nd round by 5:40.

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok working on it.

You have this linked to both echolink and IRLP? Do tell.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Ok working on it.
You have this linked to both echolink and IRLP? Do tell.
View Quote

NARRI has a few "linked" IRLP / Echolink conference's. I asked Kent Johnson from narri if we could use one of them for a net so it would be easier for people to get into. Either IRLP or Echolink. We also have a D-star reflector channel were can use if needed.
I got into ham radio back in the 80's and quickly fell out of the hobby. Now 25 years later, I just got back into it and with all this cool stuff at our disposal, it's a blast!

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I should be home about 8 central (6 pacific)
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I have the favorite added and will try to check in on the drive home. Should be interesting.

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The "3" would be the number of people logged into the conference. That number will go up and down and the call signs are listed in the right side of the echolink window.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By CaptainSkulletNo it was more the 3/200 or whatever the conference can hold.  I didn't see a clean way to see who the "3" were.  Might be a dumb question but its all I've got right now.

I was on he I phone app and it didn't have the ride side of the window.  That Makes sense now.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Logged in and monitoring. Don't currently have a mic though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#41]
in on my phone - for some reason my computer doesn't always like me swapping between my mic jack (for digi) and my onboard mic (for talking).... this works just as well
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Logged in as well.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Less than 10% copy on net control.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Same here.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Logged into the net via Raspberry pi server  
ETA:
Net control breaking up very bad
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Still going?
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#47]
If anyone needs to know the node ID it is 336037

Everyone is on the air tonight in Hampton VA on 147.525 mhz with a PL of 74.4 on RX and TX
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#48]
IRLP is doing WAY better
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
IRLP is doing WAY better
View Quote

Its doing fine now. I got solid copies now on Echolink.

This is pretty cool, this little echolink node is working great with the UV-5R and SVXlink on the Raspberry Pi.  

If anyone ever wants to jump on my link the node number is 621856
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Sorry, got a phone call....but be back next week
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top