Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2013 8:07:28 PM EDT
Has anybody got any information on this antenna?  I saw it in this month's QST in a full page ad on page 12.  Looks like it's full coverage from 1.8-30MHz, with a tuner built in to the antenna base (!). Apparently fully ruggedized, waterproof (submersible, even) and "affordably priced."  Googling doesn't net me much info on it, and I couldn't find anything on the US distributor's website (http://cntlwire.com/

I've no idea what price this thing is going to weigh in at, and I'm tempted to email the distributor to find out.  

More links:
Manufacturer's site on the antenna: http://www.stealth-tele.com/plugins/custompages/detinf.php?id=374&id_categories=155
Brochure from the UAE website of the manufacturer: http://www.stealth.ae/plugins/custompages/PDF/9310.pdf

More info:

• CONTINUOUS 1.8 TO 30 MHZ COVERAGE

• 200W PEP SSB POWER HANDLING

• 0.5 sec FAST AUTOMATIC TUNING

• SENSITIVE AND EFFICIENT

• USB PROGRAMMABLE INTERFACE

• ONLINE FIRMWARE UPGRADABLE

• EASY TO INSTALL ON ANY VEHICLE

• RUGGED AND WATER PROOF DESIGN

• Frequency Range: 1.8 to 30MHz TX/RX

• Power Rating: 125W PEP CW/data, 200W PEP SSB Voice

• VSWR: Typical Less Than 1.5:1, 50Ohm

• Tuning Speed: 200 Channels Memory tuning Less Than 0.5s

• Power Consumption: 90mA static/1.3A tuning, 11-15VDC - supplied from transceiver

• Interface: UHF socket/MIL-DTL5015, 7-pin/TTL and serial via USB/CPS

• Operating Temperature Range: -25°C to +45°C

• Environmental: Dust and Vibration protection, water ingress to IP 68

• EMC EN 61000

• Size and Weight: 100x100x840(2490)mm/3.9x3.9x33(98)inch, 5.2kg/12lbs

According to the QST ad, it's compatible with all HF transceivers.  I'm not sure what that means exactly, but it apparently you program the antenna via USB with the transceiver, mounting system, and adapter cable.  It also says "upcoming new radios are on-line supported at no charge."

I had a very strong "Shut up and take my money" urge when I saw the ad, did anybody else?  Any insight?

Edit: here's the ad from QST:
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 2:30:46 AM EDT
[#1]
That thing looks huge mounted on the jeep in the brochure.  Find out how much it is and post back.  I'm betting that the price will make your eyes water as in "OMG!  That's a lot." high.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't looked at the brochure yet. My bet is you could buy a Hi-Q for less money and have better performance and handle more power. The Piranha Hi-Q is just as rugged.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#3]

THIS^ i agree with the previous post

Ive looked at some of their stuff before, specifically the "SUPER SKYRIDER™ HF Mobile NVIS Magnetic Loop Antenna" and it runs about $5000

Their stuff is  for commercial and government applications where money is not an issue.  

Their mobile NVIS could be built for a very small fraction of the cost.

Here is a link to that one
http://www.stealth-tele.com/plugins/custompages/detinf.php?id=372&id_categories=156

There is tons of screwdriver type antennas out there for small and mobile HF setups...
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I looked too.  The ad says affordable priced.....  It looked cool till I saw how huge it looked. Nothing stealth about it if it were on my Rav 4.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I've dispatched an email to Continental Wireless inquiring about the price.  I'm sure it'll be into used car territory, but I'll post the answer here when I get it.  

As far as the size, I don't think it's much larger than the big screwdrivers I've seen, and it'll (allegedly) tune 160M with the 8' whip.

I like the physical design of this unit over screwdrivers, since all the moving parts are internal.  To my eye, a screwdriver antenna just looks like a giant failure point waiting to happen.  Hi-Q antennas are better, but still cost a fistful of C notes.  I'm very interested to see how the price of the 9310 compares to a similarly performing Hi-Q.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#6]
OOOHHHHH!  It comes in multiple models and there's even an NVIS Loop model!

Multiple Models!
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OOOHHHHH!  It comes in multiple models and there's even an NVIS Loop model!

Multiple Models!

Nice find, I couldn't locate anything on that site.  I think that model 9400/9420 is the SkyRider NVIS loop mentioned above, by strictlyb, costing $5000.  

I think the 9320 is for maritime HF, and the 9300 would be for miltary/government HF, and I'm not sure what the 9360 is for.

Here's the model numbers matched with the names/freq ranges from this site:

9300 HF Mobile Autotune Whip Antenna 1.5-30 MHz 200W

9310 HF Mobile Autotune Whip Antenna HAM Radio 1.8-30 MHz 200W

9320 HF Marine Autotune Whip Antenna 1.6-30 MHz 200W

9360 HF Mobile Autotune Whip Antenna 1.6-30 MHz 200W
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Their mobile NVIS could be built for a very small fraction of the cost.

Except that, as best I can tell, there is no other small loop autotuner on the market.  MFJ has a manual loop tuner, but the nature of small loops is that the bandwidth is miniscule and would require retuning with even small changes in frequency.

I've suggested to LDG that they make a loop autotuner.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I looked too.  The ad says affordable priced.....  It looked cool till I saw how huge it looked. Nothing stealth about it if it were on my Rav 4.

I don't really care about the looks, but it looks less ugly than my Tarheel screwdriver. "Affordably priced" military antenna can be a few thousand dollars for some wire. Affordably priced on the civilian market means something entirely different. I'm looking forward to seeing which version of affordable they end up going with.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#10]
How about an Icom auto tuner and an 8 ft whip?
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#11]
This type of antenna is very popular among the Australian commercial HF ALE network crowd. It appears very similar to both the Codan and Barrett products. Typical Codan pricing (Australian):

http://www.lakecomm.com.au/hfant&acc.html

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This type of antenna is very popular among the Australian commercial HF ALE network crowd. It appears very similar to both the Codan and Barrett products. Typical Codan pricing (Australian):

http://www.lakecomm.com.au/hfant&acc.html

Codans require a Codan radio though. This poorly named Stealth is usable for any HF rig. I want one BAD........

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Do want.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Sexy doesn't mean jack shit if there's a giant 50 ohm carbon resistor inside there.  

I want to see the schematic on this
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Tacticool Antennas
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I will take my hi-q 5-160 any day over that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:21:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sexy doesn't mean jack shit if there's a giant 50 ohm carbon resistor inside there.  

I want to see the schematic on this

I can't speak to the "Stealth" antennas, but the Barrett and Codan equiv's literally have antenna tuners inside their bases. They simply laid them out in an elongated fashion as opposed to a big square box. I couldn't find a pic of the Codan but I've seen inside one. Here's a pic of the Barrett (the top PCB--ignore the other PCB at the bottom):

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a reply back this morning.  The 9310 goes for $1495, plus the mount (they didn't say how much the mount costs), plus shipping from Continental Wireless.  That's right about what I was expecting.  Now to wait for some early adopters to test drive it for me
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#20]
That ain't as bad a price as I thought.

I did stumble across a link that discussed their NVIS roof mounted half loop. The post was from 2 years ago and the quoted price was 5 grand. They make you use their roof rack and mounts. In my case their roof rack will not mount on my intended vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I did stumble across a link that discussed their NVIS roof mounted half loop. The post was from 2 years ago and the quoted price was 5 grand. They make you use their roof rack and mounts. In my case their roof rack will not mount on my intended vehicle.

The roof rack is the ground plane for the half loop.  Small loop performance is impacted a lot by changes in surface resistance, corrosion and the like so the rack would be a critical part of the system.  It's likely copper or even silver plated.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I also came across some pics of the rack being fabricated. I will post them later today when I am more awake to backtrack my searches. It maybe copper plated before painting but looked like typical mild steel roof rack.

Quoted:
Quoted:

The roof rack is the ground plane for the half loop.  Small loop performance is impacted a lot by changes in surface resistance, corrosion and the like so the rack would be a critical part of the system.  It's likely copper or even silver plated.

Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#23]
No, there is no giant carbon resistor inside
Here some videos on youtube:
9360 Frequency tracking and memory tune
Manufacturer company presentation video part 1. On 2:33 shown first 9360 protoype
Manufacturer company presentation video part 2
Stealth Telecom on Facebook
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Manufacturer company presentation video part 1. On 2:33 shown first 9360 protoype

That's really interesting. It's different than the Barrett. It looks like a large adjustable air core inductor run by a linear actuator.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

See a lot of traffic to your website from arfcom did you?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got a reply back this morning.  The 9310 goes for $1495, plus the mount (they didn't say how much the mount costs), plus shipping from Continental Wireless.  That's right about what I was expecting.  Now to wait for some early adopters to test drive it for me

I'm sure it a good product but $1,500 price sticker would not be considered affordably priced in the HAM radio community. It appears to be a base loaded antenna which is theoretically less efficient when compared to a center loaded Hustler or Tarheel mobile verticals.
Fast tuning and rugged design are the biggest and most important features of this antenna. Perhaps Stealth-tele could include a logo - "1/2 second tuning. When seconds count, other antennas are just minutes away"
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I won't be trading in my TARHEEL II

LOL
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

LOL

I might trade my Tarheel 100A in on one. I'd really like the NVIS roof rack but the cab on my truck isn't big enough.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

I might trade my Tarheel 100A in on one. I'd really like the NVIS roof rack but the cab on my truck isn't big enough.

No, but you could post out your bed like some work trucks do to carry scaffolding/ladders!
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 5:32:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

No, but you could post out your bed like some work trucks do to carry scaffolding/ladders!

My taco doesn't have any stake pockets or I would have done that already
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

My taco doesn't have any stake pockets or I would have done that already

Time to get your welding merit badge?
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#32]

I'm sure it a good product but $1,500 price sticker would not be considered affordably priced in the HAM radio community.

If the antenna is a VERY good antenna, I dont see that price being a show stopper.  Heck a screw driver can set you back $600, plus a couple hundred for a controller, $100 for a mount.. Even a whip with a quality tuner will run you $500 for a tuner, a couple of hundred for a quailty whip (not a cb whip) and $100 for a mounting system...  

Yes this would be an antenna for a serious ham who wants a durable antenna...

Gary

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I saw one these antennas this morning. A guy was driving a newer Jeep Wrangler with the antenna mounted on his front bumper, just like the one on the pictures. It looked slick, nothing like my nerdy looking Tarheel screwdriver. Too bad he was driving in the opposite direction. I would love to see it closer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm keeping an eye out for one for when I get some money. I have a truck that needs a radio installed in it
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I was told by a competitor, (Barrett Communications), that that stealth antenna was just under 2K for the antenna and base mount.
I would love to have one on the front of my F-259 Super Duty, for my FT-857D.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I saw another one at the Charlotte Hamfest today.  It was mounted on the rear bumper of an older model SUV. This must be the sign from above.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I saw one these antennas this morning. A guy was driving a newer Jeep Wrangler with the antenna mounted on his front bumper, just like the one on the pictures. It looked slick, nothing like my nerdy looking Tarheel screwdriver. Too bad he was driving in the opposite direction. I would love to see it closer.

This one?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/68921_447821828620109_736264003_n.jpg
He wrotes:"I carried on a 20 minute 40 meter QSO all of the way home tonight with several hams ranging from Florida, Maine and Ohio. Great signal reports. I haven’t been able to do that for a long time" (source)
New video "Stealth 93-series mobile HF antennas inside look"
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 3:35:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I saw the ad in QST and I have to admit it looks impressive.  Unfortunately, it costs more than my loaded FT-897D (w/ FT-30B, MH-59, YF-122C, INRAD #720).
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#39]
The video was REALLY cool.  This isn't just another mobile antenna, it's a precision piece of gear and as such commands a higher price.  I will say that the antenna makes the Jeep look small, and I would call it anything but stealth!

Question, are there variable whips available or just one?

Link Posted: 3/28/2013 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#40]
I want one for my F250, wonder if I could do a Kickstarter and get it funded?

course I'd need a radio too....  

I have a Hugh-Jass camper cover on the rear of my truck and a 4 door Cab so there is plenty of space to advertise/display this and the roof rack product with a truck wrap if the company is looking for a promo vehicle
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Question, are there variable whips available or just one?

Also available NVIS kit
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/420495_394175647318061_1761828230_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/421189_10152125291175487_2089423356_n.jpg

Preliminary list of accessories here
List of mounting systems here
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#42]
That thing does look cool but I already have a tuner and I could buy a hell of a whip and mount for the $900 difference.  Is there any reason to believe this antenna would perform any better than any other whip & tuner?  
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#43]
MSRP Price Guide

I'm thinking about mounting one to my raptor...
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Any discounts for AR15.com members?
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Thanks guys...

The base is heavy

Need to figure precisely how I'm going to mount it on...
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#46]
No you did not!!!!! I hate your face!
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Meh - Just slap it on a hitch drawbar, mount it in your hitch receiver with a good electrical bond, and call it a day...

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/raptor/IMG_1888.sized.jpg

Meh - Just slap it on a hitch drawbar, mount it in your hitch receiver with a good electrical bond, and call it a day...

Its one of the options I'm considering but It would need to be mounted high enough to clear the tailgate. There is a mark on the antenna base they want above any metal surface.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#50]
I'd suggest you pretend your truck is really a car, and use a GOOD ball mount in the left rear fender.

Good ball mount?  Maybe an original GE Master or even a MasterMobile mount, as they're both solid and not just a shell.  Of course, they're both out of production for YEARS now.  

ETA:  That antenna is really too expensive, a good Texas Bugcatcher will work as well, probably better at a fraction of the cost!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top