Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2012 3:42:01 PM EDT
Due to the price of Svetlana 572B tubes, they are out of the equation. So that leaves it to some flavor of 811A, or some other veriety of 572B. I've heard the Svetlana's are pure gold, but the chinese 572's aren't all that great. So, is it worth it to spend a little more for a set of 572B (non svet) or just get a quad set of 811A's from RF Parts?

Amp is an AL-811H. Currently running the factory 811A tubes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The Chinese 572B's are not the end of the world.  I would try to find some NOS 811A's from Cetron or RCA.  If those are unobtainable then get the Taylor 572B's from RF Parts.  It is their house brand of Chi-Com tubes but at least they test them before they sell 'em.

I'll dig through by tube stash and see if I have anything good.  I may have a quad set of both.  Who the hell knows

ETA: Here are some on flee bay.  The price isn't too hateful.  Of course my tube sticker shock has been screwed up ever since I bought an Alpha it takes a pair of 3cx800a7 tubes.  BTW this is a pair of Chinese ones.  I bought two pair of NOS eimac
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah... I've seen some of those pricey tubes. Insane...It's nice to have a little extra power, but unless I start hemmoraging money, there's no way I'll ever be at that level. For what I need, the 811H works.

I know I've heard the svetlana 572B tubes are great, and the Cetron/RCA 811As as well. But the off brand 811a and 572bs i haven't heard much about.

My only concern with buying NOS is whether they are still good. Naturally, a reputable sellerwill have a good warranty, But I've had enough bad Ebay experiences to buy tubes from just any seller.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yeah... I've seen some of those pricey tubes. Insane...It's nice to have a little extra power, but unless I start hemmoraging money, there's no way I'll ever be at that level. For what I need, the 811H works.

I know I've heard the svetlana 572B tubes are great, and the Cetron/RCA 811As as well. But the off brand 811a and 572bs i haven't heard much about.

My only concern with buying NOS is whether they are still good. Naturally, a reputable sellerwill have a good warranty, But I've had enough bad Ebay experiences to buy tubes from just any seller.

If you are worried about bad tubes, buying on ebay or at a hamfest isn't for you...  I would recommend buying some Taylor 572b's from RF parts and be done with it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you are worried about bad tubes, buying on ebay or at a hamfest isn't for you...  I would recommend buying some Taylor 572b's from RF parts and be done with it.

Well...I've heard horror stories. And this is my first tube operating device.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well...I've heard horror stories. And this is my first tube operating device.

Horror stories abound.  No just because people are crooks, but because vacuum tubes are unstable by nature.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a matched set of 572b and be done with it. They will last for along time.
811 tubes are not as beefy as 572s but they generally last a long time as long as they are mounted vertically and not abused a lot.
I've melted my share of 811 while running a home built amp. Back then 811s cost next to nothing. LOL.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
So far, I haven't nuked the 811A's, so I must be doing something right.

I don't mind spending a little more for some 572B's from RF parts, as they seem to be more durable. Anyone done the swap before? Some sites say drop in, others have elaborate alignment and procedures.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#8]
The AL-811H is a well designed amplifier.  Its big draw back, and real benefit, is the weak link being the power supply.  The supply will turn things down if you get to over driving the tubes.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Have we all forgotten that this is ARFCOM? There is only ONE correct answer:

Get Both!

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 5:18:05 AM EDT
[#10]
RF Parts matched set of Taylor 811A. Done.

AL-811 three tube unit owner here.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 5:41:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have we all forgotten that this is ARFCOM? There is only ONE correct answer:

Get Both!

Well, I already have the factory 811A tubes, so I guess the "arfcom" answer is 572B.

all in all, looks like i'm leaning towards the 572B. Gonna have to wait till after the holidays. If it's Taylor/chicom 572Bs, or Svetlana for ~$50 more, I may pony up for the Svet. But we'll see...As mentioned, the amp works great as is. But i'd like to to have a spare set on hand, just in case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top