Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2012 7:06:23 PM EDT
Was trying to use DM780 for a BPSK-63 QSO on 2m.  Please see the pic below, w/ my terrible lines and circles.  Is this considered splattering?  ALC wasn't complaining, and I was only driving about 25w.

Is this anything to be concerned about?  My digital experience is all HF, and in Contestia / Olivia, w/ just a smidge of MT-63, where I don't usually see much of anything outside the bounds of the bandwidth allocated.

granted, this is much narrower, but it just doesn't look right.

Thoughts?

ETA:  Somehow quad-dup'd the pics.

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#1]
How much power you pushing?
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Were you showing any ALC action? Power doesn't matter as long as there is no ALC.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 1:57:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Were you showing any ALC action? Power doesn't matter as long as there is no ALC.
Yeah. What he said.

Pic looks fine to me. Compare your screenshot to examples here.

And BTW. My only exposure to PSK31 on 2m is through a repeater. You doing simplex? How is the range? Details please.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 3:47:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks fine to me and he says no ALC problems.

Hope you're doing SSB and not FM.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#5]
25W SSB Simplex to a station about 80mi away.  ALC was all green, no red.

We didn't actually make contact on BPSK-63, because I dropped the ball and didn't switch modes soon enough.  We were able to make an Olivia QSO though...

Thanks, guys.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
25W SSB Simplex

Cool

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hope you're doing SSB and not FM.

FYI you can run any AFSk (soundcard) data mode over FM. The only caveat is the receiving station has to let you know if you're over modulating your signal.  There's no ALC meter to watch

I've experimented with SSTV, PSK31, MT63, and AFSK RTTY over FM.  They all work.

When deciding on an interface if you can get one with the 6 pin din for your HF rig, you'll be able to also use it with an FM transceiver that has a 6 pin din port for a TNC.  

LM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top