Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2010 9:07:45 AM EDT
OK, so I admit it, I was PSK31 "Challenged".  I could not get that darned mode to work for me using HRD & DM780.  Weird thing was I could use DM780 to decode CW just fine, but I just had no success with PSK31.  I chalked it up to the QRP power level and the Crappie pole wire antenna initially.  Then when I upgraded the antenna to the Carolina Windom, I hoped that would help, but it didn't. Turns out that I was the main problem, imagine that!  Finally played around with how to reply to CQ's and WHAM!.... first successful PSK31 QSO with a station in CA, nearly 2k miles away with 10 watts.  And I missed a reply to one of my earlier CQ's because I couldn't figure out how to respond to it.  That one I missed was a Cuban station.
I'm OK now....the medicine's kicking in.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I saw you on there earlier today. I looked up the callsign on QRZ and noticed the shack pics looked familiar. Your signal looked pretty good from here. I made a couple of QSOs. One to Maine and other to Florida. I need to get a CV-I cable so I can control my radio and actually use HRD instead of just the DM-780 part of it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think I saw you on there earlier today. I looked up the callsign on QRZ and noticed the shack pics looked familiar. Your signal looked pretty good from here. I made a couple of QSOs. One to Maine and other to Florida. I need to get a CV-I cable so I can control my radio and actually use HRD instead of just the DM-780 part of it.

Yep, that was probably me.  I'm messing around with the Remote Server setup so I can control everything from my netbook from anywhere.  Remote-controlled HF radio from the couch or bed....God Bless America!  

I got one of the CI-V cables from G4ZLP.  No problems controlling the rig.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad you got it working. I operated canoe mobile today and picked up ME and ND. Tried catching Honduras but it didn't work out. I'll try to post some pics later.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Turns out that I was the main problem, imagine that! Finally played around with how to reply to CQ's and WHAM!

Might I be so bold as to ask... just how were you, uh, malfunctioning?
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#5]
So, I was looking in QST last night and found this thing:

June 2010 issue, p. 63.

VSC-X Wireless Serial Cable  

www.vsc-x.com

Shut up!  I'm thinking!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Turns out that I was the main problem, imagine that! Finally played around with how to reply to CQ's and WHAM!

Might I be so bold as to ask... just how were you, uh, malfunctioning?

Let's just say I should have RTFM....again.  

ETA:  I also read your 3 articles about PSK31 on K9ZW's blog.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Hope that didn't confuse you.

Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:47:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am easily confused, that's true.  
Now that I've had some success and have become more comfortable with operating this mode, I do think my max of 10w is borderline for the current conditions.  What power level do most of you folks use when operating psk31?  Any other QRP operators care to share their experiences?  I get the feeling, as with QRP SSB phone, that I'm still at a disadvantage when trying to bust through a pileup with 10w.  Not impossible, but more difficult.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad its working, took me awhile also to get it going.  

Now my problem is I get HRD crashes and BSOD after awhile.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Now that I've had some success and have become more comfortable with operating this mode, I do think my max of 10w is borderline for the current conditions.  What power level do most of you folks use when operating psk31?

Most guys run 20 - 25 watts.  Any more than that and you are wiping out the band for other users.  If you were to run 75 - 80 watts you would be a hated person, and be labeled a "lid".

I've done Italy, Switzerland, Spain, Azores, Canary Islands, and to the bottom tip of Argentina on just 25 watts PSK31 on either 40 m or 20 m.  Trust me on this, 20 - 25 watts is plenty.

Here's the real trick... set the RADIO to 100% power (with a 100 watt or more transceiver).

Set your TX audio out in the computer so that you are only putting out 20 - 25 watts with the radio.  Whatever level, you want absolutely no, nada, zero, zip, nyet ALC indication at all.  Then you will get nice compliments on your clean, narrow signal.

If you aren't making a contact at 25 watts, increasing power is not likely to help.  With a 100 watt SSB radio you will exceed the capability of the radio (about 40 watts) before you could make a difference on the other end of the QSO.  

I've seen as many as 15 - 16 simultaneous users in the narrow bit of bandwidth around 7.035 mhz  (mostly international users), 7.070 mhz (mostly USA), and 14.070 mhz.  Remember, even on 80 or 40 meters, all PSK31 is using UPPER Side Band only.

Link Posted: 8/9/2010 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So, I was looking in QST last night and found this thing:

June 2010 issue, p. 63.

VSC-X Wireless Serial Cable  

www.vsc-x.com

http://www.vsc-x.com/media/VSC-X2.jpg

Shut up!  I'm thinking!!!

We use those radios in our products. The work great. The 900mhz XTEND radios work very well too!
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am easily confused, that's true.  

Now that I've had some success and have become more comfortable with operating this mode, I do think my max of 10w is borderline for the current conditions.  What power level do most of you folks use when operating psk31?  Any other QRP operators care to share their experiences?  I get the feeling, as with QRP SSB phone, that I'm still at a disadvantage when trying to bust through a pileup with 10w.  Not impossible, but more difficult.

I run about 25-30 watts. I did make a QSO to Munich, Germany with only 18 watts yesterday.

Link Posted: 8/11/2010 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#13]
My li'l ole 10w snagged me my first DX PSK31 contact to Cuba.  Just after heavy T-Storms rolled thru area.  Nothing super exotic yet, but still DX.  

ETA:
DM870 Question:  How do you operators that use DM780 send your text?
Send (F1) key to send your text as it is being typed?
OR
Auto (F2) key to send your text all at once, after it's all typed?
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OR

Yes. For me it really depends. I try to use macros that are more personal so I may start out with some "canned stuff" but while it's sending I'll be typing a personal response to their last transmission or something.

If I know what I have to say is short I'll just type it and then send. If it's going to be long I'll start sending and type as it goes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My li'l ole 10w snagged me my first DX PSK31 contact to Cuba.  Just after heavy T-Storms rolled thru area.  Nothing super exotic yet, but still DX.  

ETA:
OR

I have 8 or 10 macros set up ("canned" messages), but also a generic macro.  (not exactly, but you get my drift)

Here are a few:

CQ CQ CQ de <my call sign> <my call sign>
pse k
<stop><erase>

CQ CQ Your Call Your Call de <my call sign> <my call sign>
CQ CQ Your Call Your Call de <my call sign> <my call sign>
<stop><erase>

Your Call de <my call sign>
Thanks for your call.  My name is _____   _____
Your RST: 599  599  How copy?
My QTH is _____________   ____________
Grid:  ______  ______
Latitude:  ______*N
Longitude: ______*W
BTU  Your Call de <my call sign>
<stop><erase>

My generic macro:

(room to type other comments)

BTU, Your Call de <my call sign>
<stop><erase>

Thank you for the nice QSO and I hope we can do so again soon.
Please QSL direct QRZ.com address or eQSL.cc.
73 to you and your family,
Your Call de <my call sign> sk
<stop><erase>
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks AFM!
Home with the kids today, so a little early afternoon radio play time.  
10w PSK31 got me a nice QSO to Bonaire, Curacao (Neth. Antilles).
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#17]
One of our club members has been seeing how many PSK31 QSO's he can make with only 1 watt.

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I can start this macro:

BTU, Your Call de <my call sign>
<stop><erase>

... and as it starts, begin typing after the call signs, and generally am able to stay ahead of transmission.

Then I stop typing, it transmits the BTU, etc.

So, that's how I handle the non "canned" responses.

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
One of our club members has been seeing how many PSK31 QSO's he can make with only 1 watt.

1 watt QRP PSK31 QSO  

Quoted:
So, that's how I handle the non "canned" responses.

I'll try that.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#20]
But then, I'm a fast typist.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top