Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2017 5:17:50 PM EDT
I am wanting to go after stripers on the kayak and have not fished for them yet. I have been looking hard at the Penn squall 30 or 40 and the Abu Garcia AMBASSADEUR C3-6500STSPC STRIPER SPECIAL. I went to basspro yesterday and put my hands on both but the Penn was the larger size and was really to big for what I want but was very light which I like. I am wondering if anyone uses the Penn 30 or 40 and would it be to big? The Abu Garcia is a great looking reel, compact, tough and is similar to what I learned on but a bit heavier than the Penn, not much. I plan on using an uglystik gx2 and fishing picwic lake in TN. Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated or tell me what your setup is. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Never tussled with landlocked striper but have plenty of experience with their salty brethren from a kayak. The wonderful thing about kayak fishing is that you can scale down your gear because you and your boat provide extra drag. Personally, I'd go with the Abu out of those choices however I have looked at the Squall but in the 15 size. I would tell you to check out the 15 or MAYBE the 20 size squall. Personally, I use either a REVO Toro NaCl, or an Avet SX depending on which setup i bring out. Spinning gear, nothing larger than a Stradic FJ5000. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I never thought about the kayak as part of the drag. I was looking hard at the squall 15 or 20 but I couldn't find one anywhere to put my hands on one. So I went with the abu Garcia. Now I am hoping everything gets here by this weekend to get out on the lake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top