Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2015 9:26:33 AM EDT
Looking at entering the fly rod arena to fish for panfish/trout/bass around the Midwest and maybe out west.

Orvis has a few I'm considering and want some thing quality but not crazy priced. $300ish would be ideal(or less is great too)

Other than medium or moderate rod type and reel size (looking at a 2)

What else should be considered. I prefer a 4 piece for backpacking in placed as well unless there is a large disadvantage.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an expensive 5 weight Diamondback rod with Orvis reel that I bought many years ago - but frankly I'd rather fish with my inexpensive, ultralight Cabela's rig that I got on sale.  I think that you can get a nice combo for $150 or less that will do everything you need it to do.  I do recommend a good quality line though - better lines will float better and will slip through the guides easier.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#2]
IDK about being an expert fly fisherman, but I have been flinging that stuff for 25 years in Colo and FL.

A 5 weight is pretty much the all around rod, 8.5-9' long with a floating weight forward line.
Unless you are gettting big 10# bass,  that is what you want.

Nothing wrong with the 4 pc rods, I have a few.

Orvis is good gear, but their low end stuff is chinese made.   But those little fuckers in china can make a decent rod.   A good starter rod/reel combo can be found for 150.00 or so.   Get some tapered leaders with a 6 to 8 lb tippet, no longer than your rod.

Check with these guys for deals.  I have bought from them and they are GTG.
reelflyrod.com
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a bit dated so I don't know much about current manufacture rods.  Orvis always struck me as being overpriced rebranded gear.  Good marketing though.  Convienient for one stop outfitting.

I built all the rods I use from blanks.   Mine are all Loomis imx blanks, and one St. Croix.

I don't do any panfish.  For trout though in western rivers I use a 4 wt. 9' fast action rod, unless its windy or we're fishing heavy junk, then I use the 6 wt.  For bass/pike I use my 8 wt.  I built a 7'6" 2 wt.  Its fun for smaller fish in calm weather using dry flies and very fine tippet.

Iirc Temple Fork Outfitters made pretty decent entry level rods.  St. Croix rods are decent as well, my 6 wt. is built on a legend blank and was quite a bit cheaper than the Loomis stuff. I like the Loomis blanks a lot more though, just never got around to rebuilding the 6.

Sage, Loomis, Winston, Scott are good higher end rods.   I believe all of them make a medium price point rod.

I seem to have gone 2, 4, 6 , and 8 wt in my line up.   My son in law uses a 3, 5, 7 set up.   I built his 5 on a Loomis imx blank as a gift to get him fishing.  Its a nice setup.

My flyshop used to say buy the best line made, the best rod you can afford.  Whatever you have left buy a reel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Review of 29 different 5 wt rods.  Several sub $300 rods rated pretty well.

5 wt rods
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Redington is my go to. Have a Tempt 4wt and a vapen black. great value for the money. but honestly, look at cabelas rods. I had a couple when I first started fly fishing, but still use them because they feel nice, and wont go into shock if they break in my backpack. The cabelas actions tend to be faster than on the norm, but I use a fast action rod to cast bass flies.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Found a nice local setup that was practically new.

Its Epic Boost rod with Orvis Battenkill III reel.  

Came loaded with new Rio line and backer.  

Visited Orvis in Bellevue WA when I was there and got one of their packs/fly box/catch and release net/tools/etc.

I know they arent the cheapest to load up but the guy who helped me sounded like he had been around the block and flies a float plane/guides out of the store.

Looks like Im set. Ive been watching videos but need to get out on my yard and practice.

I plan to head to the black hills yet this fall and hope to get on their ponds to try it all out!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Update -

Well Im hooked on this stuff. Yet another grossly expensive hobby but its by far my favorite thing to do.

I went out my first trip to the black hills and banged around not knowing a thing. I scored a small brook trout but that was it.

Then I had the opportunity to go steelhead fishing @ the Brule river in WI after extending a work trip. I got setup by a Cabelas old school fly fisher.  I ended up with a Cabelas LSI 8wt 9ft rod/Lamson Waterworks Liquid Reel
He directed me to a guide up there who was great and taught me a ton.  A steelhead would have been a awesome bonus but I took away alot of learned skill from it.

Recently I went back out to the hills with my new found knowledge and got a guide for the day there.  He further critiqued my skillset and we were rolling in fish in no time.  I even hooked up with a huge rainbow but panicked and snapped the line(pinched down on it rather than let it take drag).  I went out 2 days after without him and had 15+ fish days taking my overall career catch to 50+ fish.

I ended up swapping the Orvis Battenkill click style drag reel for a Sage 2200 series II. Much more my style i think.

Just got shipping notification that my new Tenkara Teton rod is on its way too for when  I need a pocket size fishing setup

All that aside I have a upcoming trip to the mayan riviera and will be fishing ascension bay for permit/bonefish/snook/etc.  I am fricken stoked

But this leads me to a need for a nice salt or all water type setup.  That said I looked at selling my Cabelas LSI that I barely fished and might send it on its way in hopes of combining the role of a steelhead rod with a saltwater gamefish rod.

Enter the Sage One or Orvis Helios 2. Probably a 9wt 9ft setup.  

So my question is it seems you could do both with one of these rods but nobody really comes out and says it.  They are both all water rated but the last thing I want is to have a tarpon snap a rod that cant handle the abuse.

Any feedback on trying to use one rod for both effectively?

Edit- I fent and got a Sage One 9ft 9wt. After reading alot it seems to be a good do all rod if that is a thing. At least light to medium salt plus steelhead
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...All that aside I have a upcoming trip to the mayan riviera and will be fishing ascension bay for permit/bonefish/snook/etc.  I am fricken stoked...
View Quote

You are going to LOVE it.  I was in Punta Allen three weeks ago and it was beyond incredible. Which lodge are you headed to?

You know about the rule for your first Permit right? Gotta eat a scorpion

Seriously though, did anyone tell you not to try to drive down and to take the water taxi?
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You are going to LOVE it.  I was in Punta Allen three weeks ago and it was beyond incredible. Which lodge are you headed to?

Seriously though, did anyone tell you not to try to drive down and to take the water taxi?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...All that aside I have a upcoming trip to the mayan riviera and will be fishing ascension bay for permit/bonefish/snook/etc.  I am fricken stoked...

Awesome I am only down for a day with Victors Fly Fishing Club. Otherwise Im staying in Akumal with friends.

Ive never been and got my Sage 1 9ft 9w with 4210 reel today.  I also got Reds fly  assortment for the bay which is all the main stuff needed for the area.  

Im kicking around a second rod as a backup/cuda rig so I can toss as needed. Maybe a Sage Salt or Motive Salt 7 or 8wt 9ft.

Hard to know how much to bring for only 1 for sure day on the water.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#11]
A 9wt might be a little light for poon. Should be fine for the rest. I lust after your One and I've heard great things about the Salt. My guide buddy just picked one up. I really need to see if I can get one with his pro discount.

I generally run a 8wt and I just upgraded from Sage reels to Hatch. Really love the Hatch.

My FW combo is a Sage Response 5wt with the 1850 reel.

It's definitely addictive. I just started a few years ago and have 6 or so rods and countless reels.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Awesome I am only down for a day with Victors Fly Fishing Club. Otherwise Im staying in Akumal with friends.

Ive never been and got my Sage 1 9ft 9w with 4210 reel today.  I also got Reds fly  assortment for the bay which is all the main stuff needed for the area.  

Im kicking around a second rod as a backup/cuda rig so I can toss as needed. Maybe a Sage Salt or Motive Salt 7 or 8wt 9ft.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't connect with a Cuda on the fly but when the wind/storms kicked up we crushed them on spinning rigs with Cuda tubes.

Most valuable thing you can do ahead of your trip is practice your double haul, ideally into some serious headwinds. But you know,  we can all always use more gear

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A 9wt might be a little light for poon. Should be fine for the rest. I lust after your One and I've heard great things about the Salt. My guide buddy just picked one up. I really need to see if I can get one with his pro discount.

I generally run a 8wt and I just upgraded from Sage reels to Hatch. Really love the Hatch.

My FW combo is a Sage Response 5wt with the 1850 reel.

It's definitely addictive. I just started a few years ago and have 6 or so rods and countless reels.
View Quote

I got it new in tube with warranty card etc for 550 on ebay which was a pretty killer deal and the 4210 was 200 with 200ft of 40lb backing so Im 750 in for a pretty solid setup. I have Bonefish quickshooter 9wt line coming for that one.

Looks like Im going to do the Motive for a 8wt 9ft.

We have plenty of wind in SD to practice casting into. If only I can man up to brave the single digits this week and do it.  

Any other tips/things i should bring?  Would you mess with a backup or second rod or just go light with 1 for a single day of fishing?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool man. The Motive looks sweet also. I need to see if the shop has them. I only saw the One and Salt last week but they moved to a new location and are still setting up.

I always carry multiple rods rigged differently. It's come in handy. Since I'm usually in the flats I'll have one rigged for topwater and the other with a clouser, crab, shrimp, etc. One time I was out and on the forward cast half the damned rod went flying. I thought the sections came apart but the rod had snapped. Still no idea what happened but if I hadn't had a fallback rig my day would've been done. On my ID trip in August I had four rods (three fly one spin).
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cool man. The Motive looks sweet also. I need to see if the shop has them. I only saw the One and Salt last week but they moved to a new location and are still setting up.

I always carry multiple rods rigged differently. It's come in handy. Since I'm usually in the flats I'll have one rigged for topwater and the other with a clouser, crab, shrimp, etc. One time I was out and on the forward cast half the damned rod went flying. I thought the sections came apart but the rod had snapped. Still no idea what happened but if I hadn't had a fallback rig my day would've been done. On my ID trip in August I had four rods (three fly one spin).
View Quote

Well after readying a 2014 8wt shootout blog which did a great write up on all top models I ended up getting a Orvis Helios 2 flextip rather than the motive.  I scored it new in tube for $500 which is $50 more than the motive for alot more rod(they run 900 usually).  

I was going to just pick up another 42XX Sage reel but popped on a used Hatch 7 Plus Finatic that ended shortly after the rod.  

Thus making what was originally my secondary rod more expensive than my first setup.

A $75 rental fee which prompted me to bring my own gear has turned into a $2500 ordeal.

At least Ill be set for steelhead and future trips
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#16]
And so it begins.

I've heard good things about the Helios also. Good job on the Hatch!
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:59:12 AM EDT
[#17]
D@mn, where did you pick up a Helios 2 for $500? That's a screaming deal
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:05:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
D@mn, where did you pick up a Helios 2 for $500? That's a screaming deal
View Quote

Ebay. With warranty card. Same with the Sage One.

Just picked up a new Sage Pulse 5wt 9ft the other day too from Cabelas for a new trout rod.

Was out in the Black Hills Tuesday this last week and nailed 15-20 mainly browns but also a nice brookie and a few rainbows.

Nothing huge but still fun for a casual afternoon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top