Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2015 10:34:21 PM EDT
Moved to Florida recently. Would like to know of a decent but cheap rod/reel to use to to cast into the ocean from the beach... beer in hand. Nothing special, just to basically do something while I enjoy a cold one on the beach. Like John Snow, I know nothing [about fishing].

So, any suggestions for a total package of less than $100?
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are starting out to test the sport, an Ugly Stik bigwater (10ft) will work good. Either the combo or pair it with a Quantum Optix 60 with braid or mono. Add an assortment of hooks/weights and you'll be set.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]
check craigslist. You're sure to find someone selling surf rods. I wouldn't get anything under 9 feet, and medium heavy rod. You want it to be able to hold that weight.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]
You can get away with going cheap, but don't go too cheap... primarily on the reel. I've wasted more money on cheap saltwater reels that lock up after their third use, and I cleaned them religiously. I've had fantastic luck with PENN Fierce reels. They are very reasonably priced and I have not had one out of the 7 that I own fail yet.

Go for an FRC6000

http://www.basspro.com/Penn-Fierce-Saltwater-Spinning-Reels/product/10209996/

I have really liked Bass Pro's house brand "Offshore Angler" rods (not so much their reels). I also own many of these, haven't failed me yet. Pair up that PENN Firece 6000 with a 10 footer and you've got a great versatile surf combo for about $105 before tax.

http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angler-Power-Plus-Spinning-Rod/product/30663/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top