Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2014 11:17:51 AM EDT
I have taken my daughter fishing several times and she seems to be enjoying it enough to warrant her own rod and reel.

Right now she's been using my ultralight spinning reels but I've been casting it and letting her hook the fish and reel them in.  I thought it would be easier for her to learn and more enjoyable if I bought her one of the nicer small Zebco reels and a decent rod to go with it.  Or should I just buy her a quality spinning reel and put in a little more time teaching her to use it?  I want to keep it fun and interesting and not something that seems like work.

Any tips, suggestions or advice?

ETA:  Daughter is 6 years old.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#1]
You are on the right track. ... Yes. Closed face, push button, spin reel for the next few years. Most likely until 12-13..ish.
Kids loose interest easly. They loose it faster when the technical aspects interfere with just plain having fun.
A higher end closed face reel will keep tangles and other technical  casting, retrieving issues to a minimum.
Main thing to teach is pull up, wind Down and not to reel while no line is comming in. That causes the line to spin up to a point where you will have problems.
You know your kid better than anyone. Swap back and forth with your reel as they gain confidence and skill. You will know when when they are ready to move up for good. Best Fishes..
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
My daughters first open bail went right into the river with her first cast , stick with basic push button.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
push button till they get the cast...unless dock fishing (dropping bait straight down)

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]
As everyone stated, closed face zebco with a pole about as tall as she is.

I just got my son this setup and its been working great for him, he's 5

I think his was an ugly stick, nothing special, but hes 5 and it works just fine

rod reel combo was only about $20

have fun
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Will a Zebco 33 platinum last 6 years of light to moderate use if it's well cared for?  The reason I ask is I would like to pass it down to my son when my daughter steps up to a spinning reel.  

Are there any other brands to consider in the $30 range?  There are a lot of them out there but all have very mixed reviews that I can only assume are due in part to spincasters mainly being used by people new to fishing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Amazon has some nice zebco kid's combos.  Comes with a small container with hooks, swivels, weights, plastic bait, 3 floats.

Kids love it.  About 20 bucks.  Already caught fish with one.  Kind of fool proof.

They also have already had numerous entaglements with trees, as they like to go outside and practice casting.  In fact, as I type, there is one hanging in the tree behind the house.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amazon has some nice zebco kid's combos.  Comes with a small container with hooks, swivels, weights, plastic bait, 3 floats.

Kids love it.  About 20 bucks.  Already caught fish with one.  Kind of fool proof.

They also have already had numerous entaglements with trees, as they like to go outside and practice casting.  In fact, as I type, there is one hanging in the tree behind the house.  

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61nb6iqDy2L._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

How do those cast?

The last thing I want to do is hand her a rod that hangs up mid cast.  I like the idea of the combos but I want to make sure she has something that she will be able to use without getting frustrated.  I haven't found a spincast reel on Amazon that didn't have several 1 star ratings and it makes me a little nervous about buying one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I would stick with the push button stuff as well, no need to get to elaborate, I got my Son a descent rig I guess around the age of 13 or so, they are still kids and tend to break stuff easier than most
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep go with an inexpensive spincast. Zebco, Shakespeare,etc. There are many choices.
For what it worth try to get her a "stiff" pole. A slow action "whippy" rod is more difficult to catch fish with for the little ones.
Get some plastic practice weights so she can practice casting in the back yard. They sell these anywhere fishing tackle is sold.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How do those cast?

The last thing I want to do is hand her a rod that hangs up mid cast.  I like the idea of the combos but I want to make sure she has something that she will be able to use without getting frustrated.  I haven't found a spincast reel on Amazon that didn't have several 1 star ratings and it makes me a little nervous about buying one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61nb6iqDy2L._SL1500_.jpg

How do those cast?

Good point.  But these cast well so far.  And the fellas like to cast them very often.  In fact that is mostly what they do.  I've used them also and they cast quite fine.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#11]
no let go of button, no spool lock..... it won't lock up on her cast unless she button releases.  IIRC....

the first unconscious person I ever saw in Davie, FL was slinging a zebco into a culvert mouth to make big sinker splashes... (bullet type sinker)    He let go of button...sinker came around and hit him in the back.  He got hit and rolled around on ground for two seconds and then went lights out.  I was 7 years old.  "how do I explain dead friend to parents" was going through my head when he woke up about 37 seconds later!

good luck.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
no let go of button, no spool lock..... it won't lock up on her cast unless she button releases.  IIRC....

the first unconscious person I ever saw in Davie, FL was slinging a zebco into a culvert mouth to make big sinker splashes... (bullet type sinker)    He let go of button...sinker came around and hit him in the back.  He got hit and rolled around on ground for two seconds and then went lights out.  I was 7 years old.  "how do I explain dead friend to parents" was going through my head when he woke up about 37 seconds later!

good luck.

View Quote

While she won't be slinging anything with enough weight to knock someone out, safety glasses have now been added to my list of required PPE.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Will a Zebco 33 platinum last 6 years of light to moderate use if it's well cared for?  The reason I ask is I would like to pass it down to my son when my daughter steps up to a spinning reel.  
View Quote

it should last that and then some. before my wife and daughter learned to use a spinning reel I was buying old 33's at garage sales. they usually just need cleaning and some lube
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top