Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2012 3:22:43 PM EDT
I have used spinning reels all my life. My gear is old and tired, zebco Rhino rod and a mitchel 440A spinning reel at least 25 years old. I need a reel with the crank on the left side. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#2]
What are you fish for?
What type of bait, live or artificial?
How much money do you want to spend?
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#3]
get you a bait-caster.

practice, practice, practice until it's an extension of your arm.

you will LOVE it

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless you fish ALOT with heavy baits and have a good amount of time to spend learning how to cast, get a spinning setup.

I have my bait casters and love them.  I use them a lot, but honestly, i haven't found a single thing that bait casters can do, that i can't do with a quality spinning reel.

Line twist isn't that big of a deal and can be easily minimized.  Also, i don't find casting distance to be much greater with the casting gear.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have used spinning reels all my life. My gear is old and tired, zebco Rhino rod and a mitchel 440A spinning reel at least 25 years old. I need a reel with the crank on the left side. Any suggestions?

What's wrong with your Mitchell?  I have two Mitchell 300s that are over 50yrs old and work fine.  Damned things just wont wear out so I have a really good excuse to get a new one

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
get you a bait-caster.

practice, practice, practice until it's an extension of your arm.

you will LOVE it

+1

Love a baitcaster.  Nothing matches the control and power.

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Unless you fish ALOT with heavy baits and have a good amount of time to spend learning how to cast, get a spinning setup.

I have my bait casters and love them.  I use them a lot, but honestly, i haven't found a single thing that bait casters can do, that i can't do with a quality spinning reel.

Line twist isn't that big of a deal and can be easily minimized.  Also, i don't find casting distance to be much greater with the casting gear.

What about distance/location advantages of baitcasters?

I currently fish primarily on a lake with little cover, so distance/location casts aren't that important. I use a spinning setup.

I fished with a baitcaster when I was younger. I don't own a baitcaster now. I imagine if I start fishing in tight places, I'd consider buying a baitcaster.

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#8]
It all kinda depends on where you are fishing and the conditions, well at least for me. If I am fishing on beach in the surf and its windy like most times then I will use a spin cast, if I am offshore and I need the extra line or in the bay anywhere then the baitcaster. It is all situational for me. cant really go wrong with either, I just like the extra line bc's hold
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a baitcast guy but use spinning reels quite a bit.
Overall a GOOD QUALITY spinning rig is more versatile. Shimano and Diawa make some nice reels at many different prices levels.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#10]
The Pflueger President is the best bang for the buck spinning reel hands down.  Should only be $60 at most stores.  I also like the Shimano Symetre.
If you like reeling with your left hand there are not many options to choose from in bait casters.  I do have  a couple Diawa Black Max reels that are set up for lefties. They work pretty good.  I don't ever cast them though I only use them for bottom bouncing trolling because they have flippin switches and I set up the lefty on the left and a rod with a right reel on the right.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Shimano or Gander Guide Series.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Shimano Stradic, they make em in just about any size you'd need
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Spinning FTW!!

Just kidding
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Bait caster put some cheap line on it and practice in the yard at some buckets until you have it down
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I switched over to bait casters about 13 years ago and never looked back. Still use spinning for weightless rigs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#17]
If you fish with live bait, spinning all the way.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#18]
What exactly are you fishing for and how are you fishing for it? Live bait? Artificial? Im a die hard Bass fisherman and about 90% of the time you will find a baitcaster in my hand. Spinning rods have their time and place as well though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Get both.

Both have there place.  I'm proficient with both, but tend to fish more with a spinning rod. IMO, I tend to get a better feel with spinning rods while fishing plastic worms and small jigs. They are my confidence baits, and use them more than anything.

I use baitcasters also, but for heavy work or fast action baits like buzz baits, jerkbaits, top waters, or  large spinnerbaits.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#20]
tough to beat any Shimano.

depends on the $$ you want to spend and how serious you are about fishing.

Bass Pro has some pretty decent combo's
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I have both but I prefer spinning setups.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I prefer spinning reels. Most spinning reels come with the handle placed on the left and can always be moved to the right side if need be. If you ever plan on selling your reel, the market is smaller for left handed casting reels.

I currently use all Shimanos; 3 Stradics and they work like charm.. Just imported a Japanese Domestic Shimano to experiment with too...
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#23]
In the spirit of ARFCOM, GET BOTH!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top