BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 84
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreenGiant:

Aye! I have.  If it is "chance", Life is beginning to Imitate Art a Bit TOO Closely!  The similarities between DCB's "fiction" and Reality were already there and Lebanon isn't exactly the Sinai Desert, but Damn, it sure is geographically CLOSE!

DCB, are you sure you don't have a Mr. Fusion powered DeLorean sitting in your garage?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GreenGiant:
Originally Posted By FIELD_MP:
Anyone picking up the similarity between the beginning of this story and the events of the past few days in 'Southwest Asia'?

Aye! I have.  If it is "chance", Life is beginning to Imitate Art a Bit TOO Closely!  The similarities between DCB's "fiction" and Reality were already there and Lebanon isn't exactly the Sinai Desert, but Damn, it sure is geographically CLOSE!

DCB, are you sure you don't have a Mr. Fusion powered DeLorean sitting in your garage?

Time and time again, I told DCB to hurry up and finish before life overtook the book.

Lots of things have happened since then - seemingly straight out of the imagination of our illustrious author.

Hate to say it, but . . . THAT'S NOT GOOD!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I am trying to find this in print so I can read it.  I don't know if I am just over looking it someplace or is it only for kindle and apps like that? If it's available in print where do you order it from on line?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Audiobook please
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ghost-1:
I am trying to find this in print so I can read it.  I don't know if I am just over looking it someplace or is it only for kindle and apps like that? If it's available in print where do you order it from on line?
View Quote
There is no print form....yet.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 3:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By highstepper:
Finally bought it.  Been supremely busy the last few months.  Looking forward to reading it and finally reading the ending!

Thanks again DCB!
🤠
View Quote

Ok, I finished this evening...

All I can say is: OUTSTANDINGLY WELL CRAFTED!!!  Very much enjoyed!  

SE-QUEL!

SE-QUEL!

SE-QUEL!

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:32:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BIgDAM:
View All Quotes

Well alrighty then I guess I'll just have to keep watching out for it to be printed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Well alrighty then I guess I'll just have to keep watching out for it to be printed.
View All Quotes

The kindle app for you phone should be free. No reason to wait.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#8]
DC called to talk FALs last night...that was fun!
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Been off of the site for quite awhile, work, papermills in general are a mistress. DCB,, I see it has made it to fruition ? Good looking knife, a powder named "casenite" I believe may be the problem, as the machinist trade taught me many things about metals (a lot has been forgotten !) saw files made at the "Nicholson factory" back in my early 30's. Just a thought.

BLG
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Checking in with my fellow Librarians. Appears DC’s book continues to move towards non fiction.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mnmiv:
Checking in with my fellow Librarians. Appears DC's book continues to move towards non fiction.
View Quote

Unfortunately I can't disagree...
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Checking in. Anyone heard from DC lately?
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Coontrapper:
Checking in. Anyone heard from DC lately?
View Quote

Is there a request?

It is coming on 'forge season'.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

Is there a request?

It is coming on 'forge season'.
View Quote
Yeah I've got a coil spring just begging to get whacked a bunch.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:
Yeah I've got a coil spring just begging to get whacked a bunch.
View Quote

Bragger...
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Any word on a sequel? Short story? New artifacts?
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 7:04:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#17]
Originally Posted By last_crusader:
Any word on a sequel? Short story? New artifacts?
View Quote

At the rate things are going, I'll be surprised if we don't see something similar to the Sinai nuke in the news.

Maybe I missed it.  We've already seen the riots and people on fire.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#18]
That reminds me...who wants stickers?

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#19]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vccpjz2q2hrz1e/incaseof.jpg?raw=1
View Quote

With the correct quote?
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

With the correct quote?
View Quote

None for you!
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:16:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#21]

None for you!
View Quote

Lol.

Lmk where to send PayPal or crypto. Lol

Have you been up to anything exciting?  I Know it isn't forged, but I'm currently working on this.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:17:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#22]
Double tap
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

I’m in for stickers
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:37:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coontrapper] [#24]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A couple pictures from a recent New Mexico trip. I did not kill the elk, I was guiding and another guide and his hunter scored
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Awesome!

I live in an area with a couple of elk heards but I haven't ever tried for one. I probably should some day.  It looks like a lot of work to get one processed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 2:09:09 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

I’m in. Cost?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Lol.

Lmk where to send PayPal or crypto. Lol

Have you been up to anything exciting?  I Know it isn't forged, but I'm currently working on this.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG1349_JPG-1619015.JPG
View Quote

Nice.

I finally got the vac tank and pump and stabilized a bunch of scales.  So weird to watch that stuff boil.

Now I can finish up the handle on the Bowie I have been working on forever.  Not sure what I will do after that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#28]
If ya want a sticker, just pm me your address.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Wasn't Silvia a prosecutor?

Kamala = Silvia?
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice parallel. I always thought she was a vat-grown clone of the one in charge of the great Texas fire.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Final reveal later this week...

Link Posted: 10/13/2020 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 11:42:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: highstepper] [#33]

Final reveal later this week...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mlv4v5kfz0tu56d/hbclamp1.jpg?raw=1
View Quote

That’s gonna be a nice toast butterer....
In for reveal.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#34]
This knife is for a guy I don't even know.  Process that.

But he sent me a message via FALfiles more than 10 years ago saying, in essence "I want one of the first knives you make.  I will pay you what it is worth."

It was longer than that.  And more emotional.  He was there...when I needed someone to be there.

Well, we will see...very soon...what it is worth.  I am already eyeballing the flaws and trying to decide what commas I can fail to hammer.

DC and I have discussed this ad nauseum.  There is a disconnect here.  The unique maker does not know how to price his wares.  The buyer does not know what might be bought.

What is the value of the Musso Bowie...made...because of...this...thread?

A book?

A sequel?

Perhaps 'only' a friendship?

No.

We are talking about coins.  Coins made to hand to those that might also make coins.

Link Posted: 10/16/2020 1:31:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#35]

Well, we will see...very soon...what it is worth.  I am already eyeballing the flaws and trying to decide what commas I can fail to hammer.

DC and I have discussed this ad nauseum.  There is a disconnect here.  The unique maker does not know how to price his wares.  The buyer does not know what might be bought.

We are talking about coins.  Coins made to hand to those that might also make coins.

View Quote

You cannot put a monetary value on emotion.

I think your last line might sum that up the best.

From a strictly material perspective,

I think it's a "maker"/craftsman mentality to undervalue what you make.

We can see our flaws, despite the effort that we know that we put into it.  We hate the flaws, even if nobody else even sees them or knows to look for them.  We know where they are and how they got there.

In my journey, I'm appreciating the efforts of other craftsmen a lot more.  I'm also learning the significance of etching your name in the steel of a tool that has the potential to be useful a couple of generations from now. It's a big responsibility, making something for people who don't exist yet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#36]
In my journey, I'm appreciating the efforts of other craftsmen a lot more.  I'm also learning the significance of etching your name in the steel of a tool that has the potential to be useful a couple of generations from now. It's a big responsibility, making something for people who don't exist yet.
View Quote

I had a legit maker contact me a long time ago when I posted a very early knife I made.  This was back on dejanews IIRC.

At any rate he was adamant that I needed to get and use a stamp or etch so I could mark my blades.  His reason was "Your knives are good enough people will keep them and trade them.  Leaving them unmarked confuses the market, and they could get incorrectly attributed to makers of similar styles.  Potentially wounding their brand."

I decided I didn't want that on my conscience, and bought a stamp.  I use an etcher now.

The part in bold cannot be overstated.  I had never thought about it until I made a wedding ring for a friend and a different friend pointed out that it was likely to become an heirloom.  That messed me up, emotionally.  I had to deal with thinking about the ring's journey through time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#37]

I had a legit maker contact me a long time ago when I posted a very early knife I made.  This was back on dejanews IIRC.

At any rate he was adamant that I needed to get and use a stamp or etch so I could mark my blades.  His reason was "Your knives are good enough people will keep them and trade them.  Leaving them unmarked confuses the market, and they could get incorrectly attributed to makers of similar styles.  Potentially wounding their brand."

I decided I didn't want that on my conscience, and bought a stamp.  I use an etcher now.

The part in bold cannot be overstated.  I had never thought about it until I made a wedding ring for a friend and a different friend pointed out that it was likely to become an heirloom.  That messed me up, emotionally.  I had to deal with thinking about the ring's journey through time.
View Quote

Making something like a wedding ring would be incredible.  

I'm a little more selfish in my endeavors. None of us are getting younger and I'm at a point in life where some people who played huge parts in my life are no longer with us.  Fortunately, most of those people were pretty handy and did make a few physical things that I have and plan on passing along.  Unfortunately, most of the things were unmarked. It's up to me to make sure that the stories are passed along with the items.

I mark my creations in the hopes that at some point a great grandchild or other relative can look at the knife in the kitchen or in their hunting pack and see their (my) name on it and know that at some point, someone in their families history was thinking about them, before they were there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#38]

I mark my creations in the hopes that at some point a great grandchild or other relative can look at the knife in the kitchen or in their hunting pack and see their (my) name on it and know that at some point, someone in their families history was thinking about them, before they were there.
View Quote

Admit it...all of us secretly hope one of our knives is used to help kill the witch-king.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Admit it...all of us secretly hope one of our knives is used to help kill the witch-king.
View Quote

I mean, things happen.  Someone had to make the tools. Lol
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I am sorry...I was weak.  

My daughter asked if we could hike the second highest peak in Georgia today.

I did that instead of working on the knife under test.

Started at 2400 ASL and peaked at 4700 ASL.  Then back down again.

This hike is a lot like Currahee...you have to do all the work in the last 3/4 mile.

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Beautiful view.

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Beautiful work sir!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
Nicely done, sir!  While not my cuppa tea, I certainly can appreciate the work that went into it and the art that it envinces.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#45]
That's a gorgeous knife.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:48:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#46]
I love the low post counts and ancient join dates for those that have commented.

It does make me proud you chose to comment.

This coin serves no purpose other than fulfilling my promise as a man on the hill.

It is the first knife I will deliver under the terms the receiver will determine the value/payment.

I might make 5 or 10 more under these terms.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:34:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Stunning knife. How would one place a value/price on such a beast?
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Wow, beautiful work.  Thanks for sharing it with us here.

Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#49]

I am sorry...I was weak.  

My daughter asked if we could hike the second highest peak in Georgia today.

I did that instead of working on the knife under test.

Started at 2400 ASL and peaked at 4700 ASL.  Then back down again.

This hike is a lot like Currahee...you have to do all the work in the last 3/4 mile.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rg3gxff9vrfar78/Rabun2.JPG?raw=1
View Quote

There's no shame in bringing the next generation up right.  Your daughter wanted to go on that hike, that is what some call a clue...
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Most of us value things differently.  Yeah we all might look at 10k bucks in the bank and say x, but that 10k bucks means a lot more to some folks than it does to other folks.

On this site especially we might look at 10k rounds of ammo differently.  Those who practice a lot and compete see less than 6 months of ammo perhaps.  Those who don't get out to shoot often enough might just be dang glad to have it on hand right now before today's prices arrived.

From the millionaire who spends his weekends building rock walls with his own two hands because it lets his brain unwind to the newly wed feller with a kid on the way who is working 2+ jobs and some side jobs to get some money saved up so he can provide for his family, we all look at time differently.

As you age, you too shall look at time differently as well.

Pretty knife.  :D

Spend your time wisely.
Page / 84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top