Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 84
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:44:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenGiant] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cpn_Ron:
I think the software program Calibre will convert for you. It's very useful to archive Kindle books, pretty sure I downloaded it for free somewhere several years back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DFARM:
Originally Posted By GreenGiant:
Arrrgghhh!  I hereby curse The Big River to Dry Up!   Darn DRM embedded in (even unlocked) books prevents it from being converted from a KFX format (new encoding of .AZW files) to EPUB required of a Nook.  I think it has to do with some of the "Enhanced" features of the new format.  Since I don't actually own a "real" Kindle, I shall have to begin reading it on a PC screen instead of my comfy "nearly like a REAL book" Nook device.  I could, in theory, make it work with an old version of the Kindle for PC but I cannot find a source I would trust for the installer.  I suppose that eventually, the issue will be solved.  In the meantime, I will read on the PC.
Small screens can suck, but you should be able to get a Kindle app for your phone so you don't have to be tied to a PC.
I think the software program Calibre will convert for you. It's very useful to archive Kindle books, pretty sure I downloaded it for free somewhere several years back.
I do have Calibre.  It No Worky with the "New and Improved" KFX format! I could read on my itty-bitty phone, but it still SUCKS Infected, Smeg-Covered Donkey Schlongs!

ETA: I have Triumphed over JB & Co.!  I was able to find a link to download a previous version of the Kindle software that doesn't support the Horrid KFX format.  Now Calibre converts the file effortlessly!  May the Fleas of 10,000 Mangy, Rabid Camels Infest JB's Taint!
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 1:44:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By fish223:
I have subscribed to this thread since day one, but have not read one word,  waiting for the actual publishing. Just bought it, and am looking forward to jumping in.
View Quote
Sort of a bit hate or dislike you immensely or a bit not sure.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I intend to buy it, but how do you Borrow an Amazon book?
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a major conflict to deal with now. Lol

I started reading this book last night and this morning I woke up to an email notification from the library that the audio version of "Atlas shrugged" that I have been in line for several months was checked out to me.

63 and a half hours of audio that's due back in 21 days.

I guess I can listen to it as much as possible during the day at work and hit TSS at night. Lol
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I do have Calibre.  It No Worky with the "New and Improved" KFX format! I could read on my itty-bitty phone, but it still SUCKS Infected, Smeg-Covered Donkey Schlongs!

ETA: I have Triumphed over JB & Co.!  I was able to find a link to download a previous version of the Kindle software that doesn't support the Horrid KFX format.  Now Calibre converts the file effortlessly!  May the Fleas of 10,000 Mangy, Rabid Camels Infest JB's Taint!
View All Quotes
Arrrgghhh!  I hereby curse The Big River to Dry Up!   Darn DRM embedded in (even unlocked) books prevents it from being converted from a KFX format (new encoding of .AZW files) to EPUB required of a Nook.  I think it has to do with some of the "Enhanced" features of the new format.  Since I don't actually own a "real" Kindle, I shall have to begin reading it on a PC screen instead of my comfy "nearly like a REAL book" Nook device.  I could, in theory, make it work with an old version of the Kindle for PC but I cannot find a source I would trust for the installer.  I suppose that eventually, the issue will be solved.  In the meantime, I will read on the PC.
Small screens can suck, but you should be able to get a Kindle app for your phone so you don't have to be tied to a PC.

Nice! Glad you got it to work.

@DCBourone I’m almost through the book, just posting to say I’m thoroughly enjoying the read! I may or may not be one of those harassing you for the next one...

I must say a force like the Gehr’s existing in this world is a comforting thought, and the golden ticket of a challenge coin would be an incredible compliment. It would be quite a responsibility too, of course. The Templars are almost certainly around in some form.

Plus I’m in central Texas so I could almost certainly get there on a single tank of gas!
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BIgDAM:
Deer camp, Dove camp, hunting camp in general.

Some are still lucky enough to enjoy such such a relic from the past. I was lucky in my youth to spend time over the years with an uncle and grandfather at their lease. A formative experience for a young man. Early mornings and evenings spent in the field, days spent relaxing in the shade. Nights occupied around a fire with drinks, poker and stories.

Hopefully, one day, I can share such an experience with children and eventually grandchildren.

We should all be so lucky.
View Quote
Elk camp in New Mexico this past fall was an experience completely unlike anything else I’ve ever done. It was painfully boring at times, being the only young guy around a lot of “old” dudes for 2 months got tiring, but I absolutely can’t wait to get back.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DCBourone:

-=------FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

PFunkk just found a big error.  Been looking at it for...five years?  Never noticed.
Does not change story at all.  Just looks dumb as fuck...hysterical.
Ok.  loading a new file in the morning.

Don't worry--these files are all identical except for...one word.  Two words.  Stuff 999 percent
of the world will never notice.  But I...we...Pfunkk...yeah we noticed....
View Quote
"Toiled" instead of "toilet"?
I saw one other one, later in the novel, but can't recall it now.  Maybe on my second read.
I just finished it.
Well done, DC, well done.

Oh.  Review left.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought the book and finished the first chapter. A very big congratulations DC, it’s been a long time coming.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Read it again from beginning, great job.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Read it last night... wow you really did a great job editing it up...

only caught one thing - Groton is in CT not MA...
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:31:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greyguy] [#11]
I downloaded it to the iPad Kindle Reader this morning.  I have about a chapter and a half of the book I was reading already left to go and then I'll start reading this one again.  I'm not a super fast reader but I should be starting in on the re-read sometime late this week. I can't wait!

I'm standing by until Wednesday for the gift copies that will be going out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 4:01:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#12]
Deleted
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#13]
DFARM no harm no foul but super important. No mention 'S' word at this or any other time. Please edit your comment thanks dude. Will explain later. Also material cannot/should not be unpacked on public forum. Will explain later. Traveling right now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Any more Functional antique/throwback item pictures?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#15]
After 6 years in the making. I'd say the final product was worth the wait.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:53:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By last_crusader:
Any more Functional antique/throwback item pictures?
View Quote
Have you visited page 52?  
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File
ar15 on my fffing phone first time ever.  Just checked comments and Im/s and please keep the typos etc. coming.  Probably best just to put them here on forum for all to seeI ain't shy.  Should have computer etc. up within three days.

1.  Think about: will need to post on general forum and need your support.

2.  Any bloggers/other forums/etc. with which/whom you have influence.

3. Stj and other reference artifactsa teaser: these are cz550/s rechambered to .375 weatherby and barrels cut to 22.5 and many many etc./s they will be heavily featured in future books for very specific technical reasons.  And.... nice knife....
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#18]
DC, you want me to put a link to the book on my YT vids featuring the musso?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#19]
congrats! been a while since ive dropped by but happy to see it published.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I sent out some gift copies today
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By greyguy:
I sent out some gift copies today
View Quote
I haven't looked into this...what is the basic process?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

View Quote
From mobile, there's just a box to check underneath where it asks you what device you want to deliver it to, then it asks you for the email address associated with the account that you want to send the gift to.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:38:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: greyguy] [#23]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

View Quote
I did it from the computer in my home office.  In a box on the right side of the screen there was an option called "Buy for Others."  It had a drop box for how many copies I wanted to purchase.  I selected the amount and then in the checkout process you enter the email addresses for each of the recipients.  Once you check out it emails them a link that allows them to download it to their preferred device.

Make it rain!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#24]
stj absolutely please hell yes...um....yes.  That would be a yes.

greyguy thank you and yes everything can and will help.  Make it rain.... awesome!

2t2/crash good to see you... and uh...yes.  Yes.  This took a really really really long time.

should have
regular screen and keyboard today.  This is no fun on z phone....
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Done.

I will send some copies to friends tonight.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#26]
So now where does it go and how long will the wait be.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I think I remember a story about an ape man hole punching a would be looter's cheek and selecting an athletic female traveling companion while stuck in a traffic jam.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm just interested in this custom hefty Randall-esque knife.  I like the rasp bowie, but my field knife is a MK3 Navy knife.

Utilitarian yes, pretty? Not a chance.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By last_crusader:
I'm just interested in this custom hefty Randall-esque knife.  I like the rasp bowie, but my field knife is a MK3 Navy knife.

Utilitarian yes, pretty? Not a chance.
View Quote
It's a good question.

What contract shalll we make for the 'flat rate Randall', DC?

Blade and guard at say...40% sequel completion?

Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:34:17 AM EDT
[#30]
GOING BACK A BIT:

Afraid I am missing comments, been on the move the last week--

--300rum thank you and sorry for the wait but it could not be helped.

--DFarm thank you for helping/watching/etc. the tech side of all this.

--Trapshooter I will have a lot to say about what happens over next months, beginning
with new post below--

--DFarm freaking awesome, yes that is blue-printed long ago, the Orangutan, Michael Gehr/s
co-worker, freak and fisherman, perfoming a Gehr Waffen service co-incident to the Sinai
Nuke and related events.  Not sure if it will be "the first next book"--there are several
possibilities, see post below--

--last/cr the pseudo-Randall utility knife is, yep, just something I want for myself.  Long
ago when looked like I had some/more/any time I actually priced out water-jet blanking/
profiling/grinding/pro-tempering in various steels.  I will make a few even if I have to do
it with files in somebody/s/somewhere/s garage.  But I think they will happen, but like
the book, I just don't know when.  I will also not presume to have drawn anything unique/patentable/
copyrightable/other than name/logo/branding--you could download the drawing, which is exact
to the mil., modify or keep, send to any custom maker, temper as you will--a reference to the
inspiration here would be nice, but certainly not legally required in any way/shape/manner--I/anybody
can point to the precursors of the GehrWaffen knife all the way back to Saxon belt knives, spanish
poniards, and the infinite varieties of home-made and Sheffield "bowies"--a few of which are virtually
identical--and of course--the Randall 14/s themselves, which drew from all/everything and unfortunately
still show a few/some/small concessions to economics--primarily the straight spine through-line in
the handle/grip, which allows Randall to use/forge/grind a straight blank.  Notice that the stick tang
model 14/s have a natural curve/sweep into the palm and lower point/cutting edge--like every
single hand-made indigenous cutting tool/weapon--ok that's enough for now.

--STJ, as of now Stj is the only "authorized" as in I would be extremely happy for him to represent
himself as a Gehr Waffen contractee/er/consultant/etc. to make edged tools/weapons and I fully trust to his discretion
to make/consult/design whatever he wants as long as he maintains ( I have zero doubt ) his general
standards of excellence and this mutual conspiracy of interests will evolve over time.

SEE NEXT POST--IMPORTANT:
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:49:14 AM EDT
[#31]

--STJ, as of now Stj is the only "authorized" as in I would be extremely happy for him to represent
himself as a Gehr Waffen contractee/er/consultant/etc. to make edged tools/weapons and I fully trust to his discretion
to make/consult/design whatever he wants as long as he maintains ( I have zero doubt ) his general
standards of excellence and this mutual conspiracy of interests will evolve over time.

SEE NEXT POST--IMPORTANT:
View Quote
And I want to make that/those knife/knives...and yes, it will take forever...just like quality books do.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:17:28 AM EDT
[#32]
IMPORTANT:

A number of long term trusted readers here have queried me on "how/when/where"
to discuss the text itself.  Reasonably assume this isssue/s has been "long on my mind."

Before I get into any details on this/any pubblik forum please review, to the extent
of your patience and available time and your understanding of the word "forensicc"--

1. Any statement/words/phrases attributed to Billy's fathher.

2. Maria's relattionship to Brian Distrop.

3. Tony's relationship to Gehr Waffen, and his undersstandding of the complexxxity
of that relationship.

4. Pop Gehr's definition of his own likely job/professssion.

5. Pop Gehr's very brief conversation in the context of libraries about how to find
important and useful things for the futttture.

Then we can discuss over time if/when your/any conclusions on this and related
matters should be discussed in what context/s.  I think the answer/s will be pretty
clear.

SEMI-IMPORTANT:

1. Spoilers/etc.--which would be a natural part of any discussion, and not helpful to the
future of this story, as astute readers ( do we want astute readers? ) will naturally search
the title/forum/last posts ( I would, takes five seconds ) and that would affect many
things.

SEMI SEMI IMPORTANT:

1.  There are/will be a bunch of Gehr Waffen related subjects that do/will fit here--knives/artifacts/
coins etc. that are not in fact as trivial as they appear--

2.  Any strategy etc. to affect visibility of book fits here, and will for a very long time--I will be
giving this subject "a lot more attention" within a week or two.

3.  Any questions about "writing" fit here--with the understanding that I am not a "writer" but
might have some extreme experience and interest in human cognition/psychology/peer sorting/
pattern recognition/conflict/conflict resolution/conflict instigation/conflict management/and etc./s.,
and I would obviously not prefer these discussions to interfere with any of the implied/stated goals/
interests listed above.

4.  And properly assume that like any and everyone else here I am a reasonable student of ballistics,
and will very soon have access to geographies where killing wolves is a reasonable pursuit,
and I fully intend to kill some wolves, although I understand the task to be quite difficult, as
most wolves are shot episodically while in pursuit of other game, but I intend to pursue them
specifically and to the exclusion of all other game, and I will post about it here.

5.  And properly assume that reasonable replies to this windy post might include (multiple choice):

A.  What a pompous asshole.

B. Ok.  Pretty durned interdasting, might ponder a bit.

C.  I always knew this whole scene was queer as fuck, where's my fucking challenge coin?

D.  Boobs are awesome.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:22:42 AM EDT
[#33]

5.  And properly assume that reasonable replies to this windy post might include (multiple choice):

C.  I always knew this whole scene was queer as fuck, where's my fucking challenge coin?

D.  Boobs are awesome.
View Quote
E. All of the above
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#34]
stj absolutely please hell yes...um....yes.  That would be a yes.

greyguy thank you and yes everything can and will help.  Make it rain.... awesome!

2t2/crash good to see you... and uh...yes.  Yes.  This took a really really really long time.

should have
regular screen and keyboard today.  This is no fun on z phone....
View Quote
To clarify, my comment was not intended as a slight. I’ve had almost six months of no writing on my own story here, I need to rectify that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#35]

IMPORTANT:

A number of long term trusted readers here have queried me on "how/when/where"
to discuss the text itself.  Reasonably assume this isssue/s has been "long on my mind."

Before I get into any details on this/any pubblik forum please review, to the extent
of your patience and available time and your understanding of the word "forensicc"--

1. Any statement/words/phrases attributed to Billy's fathher.

2. Maria's relattionship to Brian Distrop.

3. Tony's relationship to Gehr Waffen, and his undersstandding of the complexxxity
of that relationship.

4. Pop Gehr's definition of his own likely job/professssion.

5. Pop Gehr's very brief conversation in the context of libraries about how to find
important and useful things for the futttture.

Then we can discuss over time if/when your/any conclusions on this and related
matters should be discussed in what context/s.  I think the answer/s will be pretty
clear.

SEMI-IMPORTANT:

1. Spoilers/etc.--which would be a natural part of any discussion, and not helpful to the
future of this story, as astute readers ( do we want astute readers? ) will naturally search
the title/forum/last posts ( I would, takes five seconds ) and that would affect many
things.

SEMI SEMI IMPORTANT:

1.  There are/will be a bunch of Gehr Waffen related subjects that do/will fit here--knives/artifacts/
coins etc. that are not in fact as trivial as they appear--

2.  Any strategy etc. to affect visibility of book fits here, and will for a very long time--I will be
giving this subject "a lot more attention" within a week or two.

3.  Any questions about "writing" fit here--with the understanding that I am not a "writer" but
might have some extreme experience and interest in human cognition/psychology/peer sorting/
pattern recognition/conflict/conflict resolution/conflict instigation/conflict management/and etc./s.,
and I would obviously not prefer these discussions to interfere with any of the implied/stated goals/
interests listed above.

4.  And properly assume that like any and everyone else here I am a reasonable student of ballistics,
and will very soon have access to geographies where killing wolves is a reasonable pursuit,
and I fully intend to kill some wolves, although I understand the task to be quite difficult, as
most wolves are shot episodically while in pursuit of other game, but I intend to pursue them
specifically and to the exclusion of all other game, and I will post about it here.

D.  Boobs are awesome.
View Quote
I have very little understanding of most of what your trying to say.

Don't discuss topics from the book on public forums? OK, can do.

I like boobs!  Why did they come up again?

I don't do well understanding a lot of your cryptic posts.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:06:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: greyguy] [#36]

View Quote
Don't feel bad, I get lost on some of the more cryptic stuff too. I've just been here all this time for the boobs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Congratulations on publishing.  I ordered the kindle copy this morning, and look forward to reading it in it's entirety.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Don't feel bad, I get lost on some of the more cryptic stuff too. I've just been here all this time for the boobs.
View All Quotes

What boobs?

Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't you remember the Valkyrie, nude, save for a layer of ky and a post hole digger?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Don't you remember the Valkyrie, nude, save for a layer of ky and a post hole digger?
View Quote
Well of course I do, but I thought maybe there was more... in this thread... and I somehow missed them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
See?  That there is quality advertising.  What red-blooded American male would see that and not say "Shut up and take my money!"
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I forgot about the custom White's boots. Lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Talked to DC.

Conversation is always like drinking from a fire-hose.

No buffer overruns...I call it a win.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:13:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cpn_Ron] [#44]
The thread has taken a rather distinct dog-leg, but... I may or may not have gifted a copy today of Injured Reserves as a teaser for the book later. It’s a good filter and more movement on DC’s account can’t hurt his visibility.

Side note: You can’t gift a book you already have from the mobile app, I had to use the webpage.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#45]
It worked fine for me from mobile.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#46]
It worked fine for me from mobile.
View Quote
Mobile browser worked but not my app. Probably just me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Very serious PM sent.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Just passed the half-way mark. Enjoying the book. Enjoying the familiar and the new. Looking forward to sharing as soon as I finish it tomorrow or the next day.

I must say the timing of the release? Apropos.
Simultaneously history, current events, prophecy...
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:13:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Purchased another copy for someone yesterday.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#50]
I really can't say how long it took, but I blasted through it over the last three days.

I also can't say what was new and what wasn't, it's been so long! (With one or two exceptions.)

Nonetheless, I enjoyed it immensely and, as I've said, sincerely hope the Gehrs are alive and well and watching over our liberty! Lord knows, we need them.

Thanks DCB - and congrats again!
Page / 84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top