Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 10:47:35 PM EDT
Do any of you that do the gutless method use a gut hook to cut through the hide? I have been thinking that a gut hook might be an easy way to slice through the hide in preparation of skinning out the quarters. Current method is the knife and finger under the skin but if a gut hook works anything like I think it does it looks like it would be way quicker and save the edge of the knife a little.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
They work well on the skin area but normally can't handle cutting into the rib cage.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#2]
No need to cut the rib cage. I usually zip from rear to throat then up each leg, at this point its time to skin and quarter. Depending on terrain, position of animal and its size I might go up the back and down the outside of the leg to expose the meat and start skinning.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The havalon blades plus a multitool with a saw are really all you need. Just enough of a slice in the hide to get the center split started is all you need. A dull gut hook is agood way to snag nasty shit.

The shoulders cut away easy if you angle them correctly, but the hip sockets are the bitch. Sometimes they are easy, most times not. If I have time and daylight I'll work the hip joints out, but most of the time i just saw through them.

Those havalon blades do such a nice job, and you can recover a lot more nicer, non hacked pieces of meat.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#4]
No offence unpleasant and I should have stated in my OP but I am very proficient in the gutless method. All I need is a knife and have never used a saw when doing this method.Hip joints and knee joints are no problem for me.

I will state that I hate the Havalon type knifes and wouldn't own one of them blade breaking things. My ESEE 3  and 4 do a fine job skinning and quartering. One of my buddies has a Havalon and he breaks at least one blade per elk, last time we spent 15 minutes trying to locate the broken blade before it got one of our fingers or we kneeled on the darn thing.

I was just wondering if a gut hook would make zipping open the hide faster than using a knife as I have never used a gut hook myself. I might just pick up a cheap one and give it a try this season.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes a gut hook will speed things up and reduce hair contamination. They are not perfect but I prefer them for opening animals than my main knife.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a Cutco hunting knife and a Coye designed knife, cant remember who actually makes it. The gut hook works well as does the knife, for pretty much anything I throw at it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, the gut hooks work ok, sometimes hard to get them going and often they will cut hairs and leave hair on the meat..I use a skinning blade(spyderco bill moran skinner), and just turn the knife so the blade is up toward the outside of the animal, slip my non gripping index finger under the tip to keep it from digging in and just slide the knife right along..
Your  fingertip keeps the blade point from digging in and cutting anything and a sharp blade will cut right  thru the skin and part the hairs instead of cutting them...

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, the gut hooks work ok, sometimes hard to get them going and often they will cut hairs and leave hair on the meat..I use a skinning blade(spyderco bill moran skinner), and just turn the knife so the blade is up toward the outside of the animal, slip my non gripping index finger under the tip to keep it from digging in and just slide the knife right along..
Your  fingertip keeps the blade point from digging in and cutting anything and a sharp blade will cut right  thru the skin and part the hairs instead of cutting them...

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/IMG_0048_zpsda19bb1b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/IMG_0048_zpsda19bb1b.jpg</a>
View Quote

I like this knife so much I bought 2. One is a very early one with high polish blade and leather sheath. I bought the second for regular use. Great knife if anyone needs a light skinner.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm fond of the SwingBlade by Outdoor Edge (link)
It has a much bigger cutting edge (lasts longer) and blunt tip so there's no chance of cutting into the guts or meat.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I like this knife so much I bought 2. One is a very early one with high polish blade and leather sheath. I bought the second for regular use. Great knife if anyone needs a light skinner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/IMG_0048_zpsda19bb1b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/IMG_0048_zpsda19bb1b.jpg</a>

Same, and most all of my friends who have tried one of mine have since bought at least one as well...

this is my standard kit for taking care of animals.....

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Same, and most all of my friends who have tried one of mine have since bought at least one as well...

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/IMG_0047_zps821b1efe.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/IMG_0047_zps821b1efe.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/IMG_0047_zps821b1efe.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/IMG_0047_zps821b1efe.jpg</a>

Some day I will own an original Bill Moran. I better start playing the lottery...
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No offence unpleasant and I should have stated in my OP but I am very proficient in the gutless method. All I need is a knife and have never used a saw when doing this method.Hip joints and knee joints are no problem for me.

I will state that I hate the Havalon type knifes and wouldn't own one of them blade breaking things. My ESEE 3  and 4 do a fine job skinning and quartering. One of my buddies has a Havalon and he breaks at least one blade per elk, last time we spent 15 minutes trying to locate the broken blade before it got one of our fingers or we kneeled on the darn thing.

I was just wondering if a gut hook would make zipping open the hide faster than using a knife as I have never used a gut hook myself. I might just pick up a cheap one and give it a try this season.
View Quote

Havalons really are superior for the job, you just have to use it like you're supposed to and not as a prying tool. Think of it as a scalpel instead of a cleaver.
The result is cleaner cuts of meat, less waste, and less effort.

I use one blade per elk or two deer before they get dull enough to replace. I've yet to break a blade
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Havalons really are superior for the job, you just have to use it like you're supposed to and not as a prying tool. Think of it as a scalpel instead of a cleaver.

I use one blade per elk or two deer before they get dull enough to replace. I've yet to break a blade
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya well I will stick to my fixed blade knives as you can't tell me that the little blade on the Havalon gives one a cleaner cut then my 3 and 4 inch fixed blades. As for less effort how much effort does it take and I really doubt that the Havalon gives you less waste. I have no problems sharpening a knife and can return a knife to razor sharp in a few minutes, one of my knives will skin and quarter an elk. Another plus of a real knife is if I decide I need the heart I can stand over the rib cage and split it open. I look at the Havalon and others like it as a good knife for those that can't figure out how to sharpen a knife.

I did find a cheap gut hook it's a Gerber with replaceable blades,  ya I know replaceable blades, to try out this season and see for myself if it speeds up the process. Any time saver helps when its dark and freezing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#14]
On hogs I use box cutter.  I basically use it to open up skin by doing the Y cut from the hind legs and then skin it with hunting knife.
One blade per hog is usual as they have very tough skin and very think and hard hair.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top