Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2015 8:19:17 AM EDT
My buddy and I both had very successful draws this year.  I drew deer, oryx, antelope, and a cow elk tag.  My buddy drew Barbary sheep, antelope and deer.  We went down and scouted our game unit on Sunday.  We saw 19 oryx, 23 Barbary sheep, 10 javelina, 4 mule deer, and 33 pronghorn antelope (16 bucks and 17 does).

Here are some pictures...

Here are some videos:

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#1]
That's awesome.  I am supremely jealous of you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I miss New Mexico. We used to have a house there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Not quite cooked to my tastes but I'm willing to compromise.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#5]
What are those 2 furry things in the 5th picture?  Oryx?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I just killed my first Oryx in February. Very tasty animal. Congrats on all your draws and good luck.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Dang. I am going to hunt out west one day. Looks awesome.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a good year this past year... I didn't fill my javelina tag or my Barbary sheep tag but I filled the rest.  I actually passed on quite a few Barbary ewes.

2014 Cow elk

2014 antelope taken at 276 yards with a muzzleloader.  I posted a review of that hunt in the Big Game forum here.

2014 Mule Deer - my first ever mule deer, taken in a unit with a 20% success rate on the hunt.

Jan 2015 bull oryx - returning Iraq/Afg veteran's draw tag.  My first oryx.. 34" bull.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What are those 2 furry things in the 5th picture?  Oryx?
View Quote

Those are javelina.  Sorry for the bad shot and angle but they never did present a good photo opportunity.  I posted one other picture of the javelina.  They're technically a "New World pig" by classification.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did a stiff wind take off with it?  

(Teepee joke)
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I didn't know they'd imported oryx to New Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I want to do this.

Is antelope meat similar to deer or what?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Good on ya OP.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I didn't know they'd imported oryx to New Mexico.
View Quote

They imported them to White Sands Missile Range back in 1969. NM is the only state with a public hunt for oryx, ibex, or barbary in the US that I'm aware of.  If you want to hunt them in other states you have to pay a rancher who keeps them on their property.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Did a stiff wind take off with it?  

(Teepee joke)
View Quote

Adobe, actually
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#18]
With the heavy rains we've had in So CO and in Northern New Mexico (think Raton), there's plenty of grass.  Your antelope should be FAT.   i saw one that was so fat it was about the size of a small deer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#19]
That is such a different way of hunting than we have here, it seems so foreign.  Is that your land, or public?  Those tags you draw, is that all you are allowed to harvest?  Even on private land?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Where in NM?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That is such a different way of hunting than we have here, it seems so foreign.  Is that your land, or public?  Those tags you draw, is that all you are allowed to harvest?  Even on private land?
View Quote

There are two ways: If you own significant private land in NM you can put in for tags for species that live oN that land (transferable/sellable). The other option is the public draw hunts for state and federal land.  I put in for all seven or so big game species each year.  Most people get drawn for one or two of their tags.  NM has some nice military only draw pools and a ten percent of all tags go to people who sign up with an outfitter contracted For guide services. Over the past six years of living here I've figured out the keys to having high draw rates, using the military only hunts and the outfitted hunts.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Here is a hippie newspaper account of the introduction of Oryx to New Mexico.  An interesting story.  Oryx don't rut like other hunted ungulates so they can breed year-round.  Thus, the population has gotten larger than anticipated, which gives hunters lots of opportunities.  A friend of mine shot an Oryx down there once.  He got the head beetled and the skull looks like a demon.  It's now hanging over his mantle.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Before entering this thread, I had no idea what an oryx was.

What do they taste like? They look awesome!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#26]
you have to draw tags for exotics (like oryx)?  Yuck.

Otherwise, bad ass!

My cousin is scouting fall hunts this weekend while I work... sigh.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nice shooting with that black powder kill!
View Quote

Here is the AAR I did on my antelope hunt.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_2/676402_Successful_muzzleloader_antelope_hunt.html
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Otherwise, bad ass!

View Quote

No. You have to draw fir exotics on public land.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Otherwise, bad ass!

View Quote

No. You have to draw fir exotics on public land.
View Quote

Aha
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks op. Hope you're successful on your hunts. nice pics and videos.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Taste like chicken?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Another name for oryx is African Gemsbok.  They're every bit as delicious as elk.  I'd say they taste similar to elk.  Thoughts from anyone else who has eaten them?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#33]
OP has a good camera and a good eye!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Another name for oryx is African Gemsbok.  They're every bit as delicious as elk.  I'd say they taste similar to elk.  Thoughts from anyone else who has eaten them?
View Quote

Awesome! I love elk.

Now I have to add an oryx hunt in New Mexico to my list of cool shit to do. Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Where in NM?
View Quote

Yeah, that is some beautiful country.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I think Oryx is considerably better than elk.  And I love elk meat.  Fun animal to hunt, especially if you can hunt them on White Sands Missle Range.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think Oryx is considerably better than elk.  And I love elk meat.  Fun animal to hunt, especially if you can hunt them on White Sands Missle Range.
View Quote

Of the two Once-in-a-lifetime WSMR hunts, I think Rhodes canyon is the better of the two.  My hunt last year was on Rhodes Canyon.  I assisted a friend on Stallion Range.  He tagged out with a 31" bull but I saw about 10 times more oryx the first day than I saw on Stallion range.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#38]
If I had to move out of PA it would be New Mexico. I visited once and absolutely loved it there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I am so jealous.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I had to move out of PA it would be New Mexico. I visited once and absolutely loved it there.
View Quote

I moved here six years ago.  It took me a couple years to figure out how to have the best success rates on draws.  Being military certainly helps with the mil only hunts in unit 28 and the returning oif/OEF hunts on wsmr.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:45:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Those are really great photos. Truly amazing country.

I had no idea you had oryx in NM, looking into it I saw that you guys also have Ibex.

For years I've thought that if I ever got into hunting, I'd one day like to hunt ibex. I had no idea there was a wild American population. That might get this city-boy to stop dragging his ass with getting out there and gaining some hunting experience.

What are the average odds & cost of drawing an Oryx or Ibex tag for non-residents?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Of the two Once-in-a-lifetime WSMR hunts, I think Rhodes canyon is the better of the two.  My hunt last year was on Rhodes Canyon.  I assisted a friend on Stallion Range.  He tagged out with a 31" bull but I saw about 10 times more oryx the first day than I saw on Stallion range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both Oryx hunts I have been on were on Stallion.  But Rhodes is supposed to have the better herd right now.  Good times, regardless.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Those are really great photos. Truly amazing country.

I had no idea you had oryx in NM, looking into it I saw that you guys also have Ibex.

For years I've thought that if I ever got into hunting, I'd one day like to hunt ibex. I had no idea there was a wild American population. That might get this city-boy to stop dragging his ass with getting out there and gaining some hunting experience.

What are the average odds & cost of drawing an Oryx or Ibex tag for non-residents?
View Quote

Take a look HERE and click on the "Odds and Reports" button.  Then click the "2015 Drawing Odd Summary"  That will bring up a PDF document will all information regarding number of applicants and breakdown of successful applicants by Resident, Non-Resident and "Outfitter Pool" applicants.  It is very difficult to come up with an exact percentage to draw.  However, in last years draw (and most likely in every year for this particular hunt), all successful applicants came from their first choice option.  752 "Outfitter Pool" applicants made the Ibex rifle hunt their first choice.  (This is your best option to draw a tag for this hunt)  There were three tags made available to those 752 applicants.  So in last years draw, you had 0.4 percent chance of drawing a tag.  Suffice to say, it's some pretty looooooooong draw odds.  Only thing tougher than drawing the tag is the hunt itself.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Take a look HERE and click on the "Odds and Reports" button.  Then click the "2015 Drawing Odd Summary"  That will bring up a PDF document will all information regarding number of applicants and breakdown of successful applicants by Resident, Non-Resident and "Outfitter Pool" applicants.  It is very difficult to come up with an exact percentage to draw.  However, in last years draw (and most likely in every year for this particular hunt), all successful applicants came from their first choice option.  752 "Outfitter Pool" applicants made the Ibex rifle hunt their first choice.  (This is your best option to draw a tag for this hunt)  There were three tags made available to those 752 applicants.  So in last years draw, you had 0.4 percent chance of drawing a tag.  Suffice to say, it's some pretty looooooooong draw odds.  Only thing tougher than drawing the tag is the hunt itself.
View Quote

Thanks, those are some long odds, but having no big-game experience I'm nowhere near ready for a high-stakes mountain hunt. I would love to get the chance one day. After I've got a couple of successful local hunts under my belt, I guess I'll start applying with fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thanks, those are some long odds, but having no big-game experience I'm nowhere near ready for a high-stakes mountain hunt. I would love to get the chance one day. After I've got a couple of successful local hunts under my belt, I guess I'll start applying with fingers crossed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try putting in for deer.  For western hunting, try a deer hunt or cow elk hunt.  For your first hunt, consider getting a guide.  I've been hunting with friends and, in a few cases, with a guide (due to the way the draw odds work here).  Previously all I did was stand hunt for deer.  In the past six years I've learned a ton about western hunting.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I had a good year this past year... I didn't fill my javelina tag or my Barbary sheep tag but I filled the rest.  I actually passed on quite a few Barbary ewes.

2014 Cow elk
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8873/17352630905_46bfda8d56_z.jpg

2014 antelope taken at 276 yards with a muzzleloader.  I posted a review of that hunt in the Big Game forum here.
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3900/14899858497_de51ef0030_z.jpg

2014 Mule Deer - my first ever mule deer, taken in a unit with a 20% success rate on the hunt.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7485/15647561182_895f766ce8_z.jpg

Jan 2015 bull oryx - returning Iraq/Afg veteran's draw tag.  My first oryx.. 34" bull.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8629/16172058810_aa1697bde2_z.jpg
View Quote

Wow! What a great year!
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Try putting in for deer.  For western hunting, try a deer hunt or cow elk hunt.  For your first hunt, consider getting a guide.  I've been hunting with friends and, in a few cases, with a guide (due to the way the draw odds work here).  Previously all I did was stand hunt for deer.  In the past six years I've learned a ton about western hunting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No public land cow elk tags for out of state hunters last I checked.  Did that change this year?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:35:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No public land cow elk tags for out of state hunters last I checked.  Did that change this year?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right dude... i forgot.  So, if you're an out of state hunter, put in for the deer hunts... which are challenging, to say the least, but have a chance of good success if you do some homework.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Jealous,

My work schedule hardly allows me to even put in for anything.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top