Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2015 3:03:54 PM EDT
Trying to draw for a late season cow hunt this year in December.  I was wondering if anybody has done a late season hunt and what kind of tips would you have? I know the herds are supposed to be grouped closer together at lower elevation and thus easier to hunt or am I all wrong in this assumption?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
What unit(s)?

I've had both real good and real bad luck on late hunts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What unit(s)?

I've had both real good and real bad luck on late hunts.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Lots of high country in 54, and the weather drives the elk down low for late seasons.  Only downside is the access to low lands can be tough due to private land.  

My experience with late hunts is that studying land access is even more critical than for a regular season hunt.  You won't be able to hunt up in the National Forest, too much snow and elk won't be there.  Study the maps and see if you will be able to access public lands at the lower elevations.  There seems to be a lot more land-locked public down low.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lots of high country in 54, and the weather drives the elk down low for late seasons.  Only downside is the access to low lands can be tough due to private land.  

My experience with late hunts is that studying land access is even more critical than for a regular season hunt.  You won't be able to hunt up in the National Forest, too much snow and elk won't be there.  Study the maps and see if you will be able to access public lands at the lower elevations.  There seems to be a lot more land-locked public down low.

View Quote

This is key

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I only hunt late season. I personally wouldn't hunt that area late.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

which unit do you typically go to late season?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

anything west/northwest of craig

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top