Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2014 1:04:32 AM EDT
Resources are limited, so if I'm going to start building points to get an Elk tag, I need to just concentrate on one state. I'm a relatively new hunter, so I'm listening to any and all advice offered. States that I am considering are Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, and Nevada. Which state would you pick, and why... All you folks that have been hunting for years help me out !!! Thanks in advance for any info offered!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:06:00 AM EDT
[#1]
DIY or guided?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:07:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

DIY or guided?
View Quote
Yep any and all advice would need this info.   Public land hunting is a crap shoot and private guided hunts are all about the cash you want to burn.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:08:58 AM EDT
[#3]
DIY. Definitely. Sorry, I didn't even think about this...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:17:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
DIY. Definitely. Sorry, I didn't even think about this...
View Quote

MT has plenty of forest/gov land and a program called block management that allows access to some private.  Harvest in my immediate area has been down for a couple years.  IIRC, you have to have applications in by the first of the year.

FWP site
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:37:05 AM EDT
[#5]
   Idaho has a lot of land which is "huntable" because it's National, or State forest.  

If bow hunting is your choice you must take or have taken a bowhunter education course in Idaho or another state.  If your date of birth is after 1/1/75 you must have taken hunter education course in Idaho or your resident state.

All of this is in the link including fees.  http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Resources are limited, so if I'm going to start building points to get an Elk tag, I need to just concentrate on one state.
View Quote

You can hunt elk in a lot of places with zero points right now.  OTC tags, limited leftover tags, lots of options to get an elk tag without any points.

If you are planning to build points for a hunt, more info is really needed.

Time horizon?  How long are you willing to wait?

Different states have vastly different points systems, so you might want to consider that before you put all time and money into points in one state.

Point creep isn't going to go away either, so that needs to be considered in your planning as well.

Do you want to have a chance at a tag every year, but no guarantee of every drawing one (bonus point system), or are you willing to wait for a guaranteed tag once you have enough points (preference point system) and forgo a first choice in that state for X number of years while you wait?

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not AZ? It's right next door to you. It will cost you about $175 a year to apply. Are you trophy hunting or just wanting to get meat? Colorado has the most elk of any state and you can buy over the counter tag in some areas.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:22:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Utah has great draw odds for out of staters check out EASTMANS HUNTING MRS SECTION full of in the field research and data
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Colorado has more elk than several of these states combined. We do not breed big bulls generally. Size and quality of the herd as a whole seems to be the theme with the DOW here.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Colorado has more elk than several of these states combined. We do not breed big bulls generally. Size and quality of the herd as a whole seems to be the theme with the DOW here.
View Quote

+1 plenty of elk here, plenty of units with OTC rifle tags as well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

we have a trip planned for 2017. applying for a preference point is fairly inexpensive and makes first week lottery almost a guarantee
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#12]
There are some really good areas in colorado but they take a metric crap ton of points to draw. What are you really looking for OP? Once in a life time trophy? Then save points. Just want an average bull then otc tag for about anywhere in Co would be good.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys for all of the input. CO looks like about the best bet. I'm 60, and don't have a ton of years to wait building up points, so an OTC elk tag would be wonderful. I've been a competative shooter for many, many years, and just recently got bitten by the hunting bug. One of my buddies suggested 61, but if anyone wants to offer any info on good game units for second rifle, I'd be listening. (I know that good hunting spots are top secret stuff, but I had to ask anyway...) I'm in pretty good shape, so hiking with a pack is a reasonable consideration. Thanks again for any and all input here!!! Much appreciated!!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#14]
61 is a great unit.  Points to draw the tags reflect that.  Minimum points for a 61 tag are around 9, for a later season.  Landowner vouchers get $5K and up if you can find one.

You really want to nail down your objective and timeframe.  Bull or cow?  This year, or 2-3 down the road?  Where do you want to hunt?

You don't even have to know right now, you can put in for a point before the 4/7 deadline and think while you build some points.  You could also put in for a point AND get a leftover tag, or an OTC tag to hunt this year.

Lots of options.

April 7 is the application deadline for Colorado.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Just remember when you apply for a point only your gonna pay for the entire price of the tag, 474 I beleive for a non resident. You do get almost all of it refunded in June of all you applied for was the point. I think they only keep 53 bucks or something like that. Just be aware your gonna get charged a bunch up front
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just remember when you apply for a point only your gonna pay for the entire price of the tag, 474 I beleive for a non resident. You do get almost all of it refunded in June of all you applied for was the point. I think they only keep 53 bucks or something like that. Just be aware your gonna get charged a bunch up front
View Quote

Bull tag in Co is over $600
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes, but when you apply for a preference point they only charge the cost of a cow
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:11:41 AM EDT
[#18]
LOOK INTO Utah. Out of state prices are not as bad as Colorado or Wyoming
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#19]
What sort of DIY hunt?

Base camp in the mountain or stay at a camp ground?

My vote is colorado. Because I hunt there every year.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#20]
More than likely, be a base camp hunt. CO looks the best so far, mostly because I can get the second rifle period off work...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top