Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 10:25:42 PM EDT
Through the amazon sale I was able to afford a bow to participate in next elk seasons archery period in September.

I'm wondering what you guys do after downing a large game animal to keep the game from spoiling in warmer weather?

Do you quarter and hang the pieces in shade in bags as you gut it? Do you bring ice every day in a cooler in your truck?

Educate the uneducated.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the animal quartered, boned out and hung as soon as possible.  Then get it where it can be preserved.  If you have to worry about the temperature you are probably far away from you truck with the ice in coolers.  If hunting national forest during bow season it is cool enough to keep hung meat overnight.  The biggest thing is to get the bones out of the meat.  If you don't have horses you want them out anyway as they are heavy to carry.  

You don't need to gut an elk before quartering it.  After you get the quarters and back straps just don't forget to go in and get the tenderloins.  You can get very bloody gutting an elk and if you are only packing the meat out it is unnecessary to do.  The more blood you get on you the more flies get on you. If I could winch the elk into a pickup I would gut one again, but otherwise no.

Also, get good  reusable fabric game bags to protect the meat from the flies which will be there if it is over 55 degrees.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I just shot my bull in the hot weather here in AZ. Not my first time doing this but what I always do in warmer weather is cape the animal and qaurter it up and put it in the shade. I usually take my meat to the processor the next day. The scarp/stew meat, back straps, and tenderloins I put in baggies and put on ice when I get back to camp. Just keep it all in the shade and get the hide off and that meat should be good for a day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top