Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2014 7:09:31 AM EDT
So Nebraska just opened up a mountain lion season

Im pondering getting a permit but a little leery on getting one.

Seems to have been some spottings all over the state so i was thinking of heading north

by the South Dakota border.

Id really hate to come back dead from being eaten by a kitty.

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#1]
They have Mountain Lion hunting here in Colorado. I've never done it, but I think it would be fun and very challenging.

I don't think there is much of any risk of you becoming kitty food from just hunting them. Mountain Lions are fairly common sightings on my property - I often see them (and hear them) hunting near my house at night. When I walk my dogs those nights I carry a 12 gauge Remington 870 shotgun, but I've never had an issue.

(As background info, 'baby' mountain lions stay with their mothers for the first two years while she teaches them how to hunt. As you can imagine, 2 year old male mountain lions can be much larger than their mother. When they are on my property they surround my house and communicate with each other by 'screaching' their locations. They sound like a f&cking bird of prey. Those nights when I'm walking my dogs I shine my tactical light from my 870 around and locate the reflection of their eyeballs just to keep an eye on their locations. One night last year they took down a fucking elk across in the forest across from my house)
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They have Mountain Lion hunting here in Colorado. I've never done it, but I think it would be fun and very challenging.

I don't think there is much of any risk of you becoming kitty food from just hunting them. Mountain Lions are fairly common sightings on my property - I often see them (and hear them) hunting near my house at night. When I walk my dogs those nights I carry a 12 gauge Remington 870 shotgun, but I've never had an issue.

(As background info, 'baby' mountain lions stay with their mothers for the first two years while she teaches them how to hunt. As you can imagine, 2 year old male mountain lions can be much larger than their mother. When they are on my property they surround my house and communicate with each other by 'screaching' their locations. They sound like a f&cking bird of prey. Those nights when I'm walking my dogs I shine my tactical light from my 870 around and locate the reflection of their eyeballs just to keep an eye on their locations. One night last year they took down a fucking elk across in the forest across from my house)
View Quote
I think I would get creeped out at night

Im searching the internetz for what I can find for spottings.

Trying to do the best research I can

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think I would get creeped out at night
View Quote

I'm only aware of them on my property a few nights out of a 2-3 week span each summer. The screeches are very loud and distinct, so it's a big giveaway.

I saw a pack of coyotes yesterday and a wolf a few weeks ago near my house. Those concern me more for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#4]

While whitetail hunting my party came across this.

Only reason to be scared is if they don't turn and run when they see you.  If they stay they are thinking about eating you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Funny how Nebraska Game & Parks denied for years that there were any Mountain Lions in the state.  I know a guy that took a picture of one sitting in a field between Lincoln & Omaha, and when he sent it to Game & Parks they tried to tell him it was either a bobcat or housecat.    A few weeks later one was shot in Omaha, probably the same one he saw.

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Funny how Nebraska Game & Parks denied for years that there were any Mountain Lions in the state.  I know a guy that took a picture of one sitting in a field between Lincoln & Omaha, and when he sent it to Game & Parks they tried to tell him it was either a bobcat or housecat.    A few weeks later one was shot in Omaha, probably the same one he saw.

View Quote

Missouri MDC has been the same way. Deny,Deny,Deny.
But now they are turning up much more frequently so they have switched tactics to they are just passing through the area.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I live in New Mexico and got my license last weekend.  Waiting on paperwork for my new-to-me used Model 70 in 7mm STW.  In the meantime, I guess I'll use my dad's Model 70 in .270.  Either one should do, I would think.

I'm guessing New Mexico has a year-long season for a reason -- like they're doggone hard to find.  We'll see.

Good luck in Nebraska!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a very close call in 2005 while calling coyotes here in North Western Arizona. This one snuck up behind me and was literally 5 feet away with her tail flickering when I spotted her (we later measured tracks in the wet dirt. I'm not BS'ing). She was about 25 feet away when I dropped her-she was on my right and I'm right handed and had to swing my body the other way. I now carry a .357 at all times. Had she decided to pounce, there wouldn't have been much I could do with a rifle. They can be called in, but it generally takes a long time on a stand. I'd say since they haven't been hunted there before, you may have better odds of getting one to respond.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a very close call in 2005 while calling coyotes here in North Western Arizona. This one snuck up behind me and was literally 5 feet away with her tail flickering when I spotted her (we later measured tracks in the wet dirt. I'm not BS'ing). She was about 25 feet away when I dropped her-she was on my right and I'm right handed and had to swing my body the other way. I now carry a .357 at all times. Had she decided to pounce, there wouldn't have been much I could do with a rifle. They can be called in, but it generally takes a long time on a stand. I'd say since they haven't been hunted there before, you may have better odds of getting one to respond.

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/p2tharizo/l_8a9af4982a8285e4d1a7d1561893a370.jpg

Cool mount!

Here is mine:

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/Skg_Mre_Lght/Brycespictures001.jpg

Nice! Yours looks bigger, a male?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/p2tharizo/l_8a9af4982a8285e4d1a7d1561893a370.jpg
View Quote

Wow! Awesome story and mount.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Iowa did the same until they shot one in a Des Moines neighborhood.  If you wanna shoot one by the SD border, find a spot anywhere along the Missouri River...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top