Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2013 6:25:18 AM EDT
I've hunted Arizona's unit 16A a couple of times during rifle season, since there are left over tags and you can go buy them, but this year I drew a unit 18A/10 HAM (handgun, archery, or muzzle loader). I'm not going to hunt 10 ever again as long as the Boquillas Ranch is pulling that bullshit about charging a fee. I spend yesterday scouting 18A south of Truxton, as my stepdad has hunted deer back there and seen javelina before. We didn't see any fresh sign, however. Tomorrow I'm going to scout around Silver Springs road and check out the Knight Creek area. Maybe I'll head up to the water that's south on Fort Rock Road-I've never been to any of this country, and if anyone's looking to give advice, I'd love to hear it! Oh, my hunt is February 7th, by the way. After the hunt, I'll share some pictures whether I'm successful or not.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 11:52:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I apply for the same archery tag every year I can.  Deployed now so I just purchase a BP.  The last 4 times I have hunted I have killed opening morning all in the same valley.  Once you find them it is easy.  Closet shot was 8 yards.  

After tagging out on pigs we archery deer hunt the rest of the week which I have been unsuccessful at
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Stink pig hunter here! Mostly Southern units here in AZ. Good luck to you in Feb!
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I apply for the same archery tag every year I can.  Deployed now so I just purchase a BP.  The last 4 times I have hunted I have killed opening morning all in the same valley.  Once you find them it is easy.  Closet shot was 8 yards.  

After tagging out on pigs we archery deer hunt the rest of the week which I have been unsuccessful at
View Quote

Sounds like fun! Stay safe wherever they've got you...
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Stink pig hunter here! Mostly Southern units here in AZ. Good luck to you in Feb!
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I went to the Knight Creek area on Sunday. I saw a lot of fresh sign, I feel a little more optimistic now!
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I am hunting javelina in 18a in feb too!! Cool.  I haven't scouted it yet, but I look forward to your success.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Javelina tag for Unit 33, as usual.    I have a honey hole I've been hunting for almost 40 years. It's an area  slightly smaller than 700 yards by 1200 yards. My various hunting partners and I have taken over 40 out of there over the years. There have only been a few years they weren't there. It's good to find the center of their home range.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am hunting javelina in 18a in feb too!! Cool.  I haven't scouted it yet, but I look forward to your success.
View Quote

Are you familiar with the unit? Any idea what part of the unit you'll be hunting?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Javelina tag for Unit 33, as usual.    I have a honey hole I've been hunting for almost 40 years. It's an area  slightly smaller than 700 yards by 1200 yards. My various hunting partners and I have taken over 40 out of there over the years. There have only been a few years they weren't there. It's good to find the center of their home range.
View Quote

That's badass. I guess I need to put in some work and it can continue to pay off. Do they always keep such a small home range-water and food allowing?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Killed plenty, but can't say I've actually hunted them much. Mostly I've just shot them while or after hunting something else... targets of opportunity...

Little ones and sows make good tamales.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#11]
That's badass. I guess I need to put in some work and it can continue to pay off. Do they always keep such a small home range-water and food allowing?
View Quote

Not bad ass, just a lot of work that paid off.     Most herds with adequate food and cover will stay within a 1-1 1/2 square mile range, from my experiences here anyway. Where I hunt has agriculture nearby and the perfect cover and little finger canyons for them to move around in. It also seems to be a thermal area that stays relatively warm in relation to the general area during really cold times. When I headed out last year there was 6" of snow just 2 miles away and a little bit higher in elevation. Look for nice big patches of Lechugilla too, javelina ice cream!
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Good luck on your hunt. The best thing about javelina hunting is not getting one………..just kidding! I only do archery now…I really don't need another one but they are fun to get in close.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I have two javalina tags in Feb (HAM and Gen) in 19A. I use to hunt 23 all the time, but 19A is closer so figured I would give it a shot. Found a 60lb male here last yr. Hope to repeat the success =)

I wish ya luck! Be safe out there and have fun!
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Good luck on your hunt.

I hunt them a east of you a bit.  Have not seen one in a few years, but hope to this year. Will be down there the first part of February. It's always fun, getting one or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top