Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2012 6:11:01 PM EDT
Saturday I shot a cow elk on a Texas game ranch.  I really wanted to use a handgun, as I've hunted with handguns exclusively the last few years (haven't hunted a lot though).  I used my S&W 629 Classic with a 6 1/2 inch barrel, I've been using Keith loads (cast 250 grain "Keith" SWC) for feral hogs with great results.  I had laid out a box of these "Keith" loads, plus a partial box of 300 grain wide flat nose cast bullet loads.  Of course I ran off and left them both on the work bench at home, luckily I did have two speed loaders full of a load using the Hornady 240 XTP, which I thought would be OK. Unfortunately the XTP bullets came apart and didn't penetrate well.

She was a big critter for sure, a protein fed elk. She was as big as most of the adult bulls. I don't know the live weight, guessing 600 - 700. They killed a cow elk there last year that went 975.

First shot hit the shoulder, broke the shoulder but only tiny fragments went into the chest cavity. Second shot hit the crease of skin behind the shoulder. Same thing, the bullet broke up and did not penetrate to the vitals. But the cow wasn't going anywhere now so I got closer and put one in her neck, broke the spine and she went down like a sack of potatoes.

The moral of this story is to leave the JHP bullets to deer hunting, and use a tougher bullet on bigger game.

My two 9 year old grandsons were able to come along, and give a size perspective on the hanging elk.

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 1:18:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Somebody is going to be eating well!

Link Posted: 7/8/2013 11:55:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Very intresting report on the Hornady bullets. They are supposed to be some of the tougher of the 240gr jacketed 44 Mag bullets.

Your experience is exactly why most handgun hunters ALWAYS recommend Hard Cast bullets for bigger game.

You can never go wrong with a heavy hard cast bullet...
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#3]
So, you shot an elk on a Texas game ranch Saturday.

When the temp hit 106 right after lunch  and you are all wearing coats?
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

When the temp hit 106 right after lunch  and you are all wearing coats?

What is being implied here?
Somebody tell damn big lie?
FWIW, I imagine that there are mountainous areas in Texas that can get chilly in the wee hours, even in the summer...(?)
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Very intresting report on the Hornady bullets. They are supposed to be some of the tougher of the 240gr jacketed 44 Mag bullets.

Your experience is exactly why most handgun hunters ALWAYS recommend Hard Cast bullets for bigger game.

You can never go wrong with a heavy hard cast bullet...

I thought this one would have been in the archives by now.

You are exactly right, I should have been using a heavy hard cast bullet on this hunt.  It's all my fault that I didn't, I had a box of "Keith loads" and a box of 280 grain WFN cast bullet loads that I went off and left sitting on the bench at home.  All the 44 mag ammo I had with me was 2 speedloaders of the Hornady 240 XTP load.  I also had a 45=70 lever gun along, but really wanted to take this one with a handgun.

Link Posted: 7/9/2013 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the temp hit 106, and you are all wearing coats?

OP was 12/31/12
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the temp hit 106, and you are all wearing coats?

OP was 12/31/12

Yep, I feel stoopid for failing to note the date; at least I'm not alone.
These hunting threads sure move slow sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
using the Hornady 240 XTP, which I thought would be OK. Unfortunately the XTP bullets came apart and didn't penetrate well.

http://i.imgur.com/7h3gr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TAAV9.jpg

Had issues with 240 gr XTPs on deer 20 years ago and stopped using them.
Jacket separation,etc
Heard they are better now, but not going back.

Nice cow!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top