Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2017 1:29:02 PM EDT
Looking for a decent lawn roller to knock down some ruts in the yard and run over the new gravel in the driveway some, but not sure where to start. We have all the big box stores nearby, as well as TSC and rural king. I check online but find mixed reviews. Looking for one that I can hook onto the back of the zero turn, or the golf cart hitch
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
We bought an Agri Fab 24"x48" from Rural King this spring.  It's ok for the price.  The frame on it is pretty weak and it uses plastic bushings.  I will probably end up making a new frame with pillow block bearings.

Ohio Steel makes good stuff for the price as well.

If you want to get a really nice roller then check out Turf Time Equipment.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Lawn rolling is more of a science then you would think, it has to be done at the right time to have any effect and not do more harm. I do my driving range field 2-3 times a year and I do the tee boxes 5-6 times a year. The ground has to be just the right softness to not be muddy, what you tow with does not make tracks or imprints but the roller pushes down the high-spots. Rolling in the summer does not do much to smooth out the bumps and compacts the lawn making things worse. Dry soil compacts easily but the bumps dont smooth out much. You can wait for a good rainy period to pass but it does not work as well just after the frost goes out in the spring. Air-iating and rolling go well together. Most folks dont use rollers very much so they are built cheaply but never wear out. Ag-Fab has one that works well enough for most folks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rolling in the summer does not do much to smooth out the bumps and compacts the lawn making things worse.
View Quote
^^^ this.

i used to work on a golf course in the grounds dept and the fairway roller (a big fucker) did not move June/July/August.

ar-jedi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top