Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 7:04:24 PM EDT
Since a broad spectrum metalworking forum will not be happening @Kitties-with-Sigs invited me to start a foundry thread here.

First off I guess I'll give a little of my background.  I am currently the Engineering Manager at a very large steel foundry.  My main focus is heat treat furnaces and electric arc furnaces but I work on projects all over the foundry from the pattern shop, foundry, quality department and machine shop.  From designing below the hook lifting devices, PLC programming to assisting maintenance in troubleshooting.  My employer specializes in carbon and low alloy steel castings for the mining industry mainly and also the oil and natural gas drilling industries, power generation and some pump and valve work.  We produce parts that weigh 300-14,000 lbs and are vertically integrated allowing us to be a "one stop shop" from producing the pattern to delivery a finish machined, painted and ready to assemble part.

Here is a short video showing how a large steel casting is made.  We use a lot of similar equipment and processes to what is shown in the video.

The production process of a steel casting

With YouTube these days more people are being exposed to the metal casting industry whether it be pouring aluminum into and ant hill to create a sculpture, making various alumni or bronze trinkets at home or just for a hobby.  I will try to provide some basic info and resources for those of you who made be interested.

First off, if you are considering dabbling in metalcasting please please wear some good PPE.  Molten metal can be very dangerous and poses lot of unique challenges.  I would consider leather boots, cotton jeans, a leather welding jacket, leather welding gloves and a face shield minimum PPE to safely handle molten metal.  Also, don't have any water near molten metal.  The two can have pretty violent reactions.

Foundry Supplies:

Budget Casting Supply
These guys provide a large selection of supplies and  very reasonable prices for anyone who may be interested.

High Temp Tools
More geared towards forging but they have a good selection of refractory (high temperature insulation)

More resources.

Hoosier Pattern
These guys are a top notch pattern shop.  Also one of the best places in the country for 3D printed sand molds and cores

About 3D printed sand (additive manufacturing).  This technology is really starting to take off for low run production or one off parts.  Where it has REALLY shined is in printing a mold for broken, obsolete parts such as an exhaust manifold from an antique tractor.  By laser scanning the original broken part, making a model from the scan, designing a mold, printing it then pouring it you can get replacement parts for a reasonable cost.  

Dakota Foundry has done a lot of this.  Their owner Cory Anderson is building a 150 hp Case steam traction engine from scratch.  Would be a great place to contact for anyone looking to have new, old tractor or equipment parts made.

Thats about all I can think of now, I'm sure I'll have more to add in later 

If anyone has anything to add please feel free.  I will try to answer any questions I can.  I'm far from an expert so no promises 

Disclaimer:  I do not financially befefit from any of the companies I listed in this post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top