Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2017 8:50:45 PM EDT
A friend and I are talking about taking advantage of 2 acres of pasture his family has unused this fall to do broilers for our families. Basically looking at assembling some broiler tractors this summer and then running some Cornish X through. Processing will be done by us. We're hoping to do 150 and then let the ground rest until spring and then do another 150. Does this sound like an overload for this amount of land. I know the stated rule is 50 per acre, but this is lush pasture that sits idle all year. With moving daily and then letting the ground rest until spring is this doable?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got just over 50 on 3.5 acres with four goats and a pig, it's doable but you will need to give quite a bit of feed.

The real question, have you ever tried to butcher 150 birds with 2-4 people?  Research wizbang pluckers, you'll want to build one of those. And good heat shrink bags are going to be required. A big day for me, 6 and 2 or more little helpers is 15 birds and that will take about 3 hours of butchering, add on set up, bringing water to near boil, clean up, tear down you're in it 4-5 hours. We shoot for 10 birds at a time.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Worked on a farm in college, so I've done it a few times on a small scale, they used a mobile processor mostly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top