Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 8:06:39 PM EDT
Sorry for the million questions, but this has been a wealth of knowledge.

Our house doesn't appear to have a whole house water filter. Id like to add one but am not sure where it goes in the line from the well-pressure tank-softener. I would think it would go before the pressure tank or softener, but am not sure.

Also, my wife seems to think she is having a reaction to the salt in the water softener. Nothing else has changed in our routines or products except we are now on well water with the softener. Is this a thing? We were using the diamond crystal iron out green bag but switched to the diamond crystal Solar natural crystals.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I would install the filter BEFORE your softener, primarily to catch sediment. 

As far as a reaction to the softened water, I would say almost impossible. The softener exchanges hard water "molecules" with sodium (salt) "molecules" (slightly more complicated than that, but its good enough for this question). You cannot be allergic to salt. Could there be something else in the water and/or contaminants in the softener? Sure. 
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:54:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Put the filter before the softener but after the pressure tank.

Does your wife have a sodium restricted diet?  What kind of reaction is she having?

I doubt that's the issue but then I'm not a doctor and don't play one either. We do have a few around here though who would likely know.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#3]
No sodium issue with her diet that we know of. She just has hives on spots all over the place. We havent switched laundry detergents or fabric softner. It very weird
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:35:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put the filter before the softener but after the pressure tank.

Does your wife have a sodium restricted diet?  What kind of reaction is she having?

I doubt that's the issue but then I'm not a doctor and don't play one either. We do have a few around here though who would likely know.
View Quote
This is how I did mine.

Also, get more expensive filters. I sprung for the carbon premium ones from Whirlpool. Made a huge difference over the typical "string" type. Last 6 times as long too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Id prefer to do that, the softener is inside while the pressure tank is in the crawl space
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm on catchment and use a multistep filter system...  5 micron->1 micron->charcoal->UV sterilizer.

Filters are mounted after the pressure tank.  Can't help on the softener, rain water is already soft.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you bypass the softener to see if her reaction goes away?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:21:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can you bypass the softener to see if her reaction goes away?
View Quote
This.  

As mentioned it could be some impurity in the salt or perhaps even a degradation of the resin.  I would also not rule out bacteria colonization in the softener.  Sometimes people chlorine shock wells, oxidizing many of the soluble metals and thus rust/mineral precipitates can foul up the softener if run through it.....promoting a bacteria rich environment, especially halophilic ones.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#9]
So far I cleaned out the water softner and removed all the salt. I added a new type of salt and manually regenerated it. Well give it a couple weeks and see if it helps
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Has she changed hair shampoo / conditioner / body soap / body wash?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Negative on all accounts
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It

Negative on all accounts
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It

Negative on all accounts
Companies could have changed formulas though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top