User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh, I have plenty of those. 40-50" through is common, some are larger but I'm not moving those as they make nice stands. Mostly white pine and poplar, but a couple ancient white oak and maple.

Right now I have a bit over 10 acres, but it looks like I'm likely to trade about an acre of road frontage to one of my neighbors for 7 acres out back where I prefer the land and he has no use for it. Also looking at buying a contiguous 10 acre lot on the other side. Sounds like about $7500.00 plus I pay my own survey and the transfer fees. That lot is about half 20" or larger maple, so I'll get at least that amount of $ worth of firewood off it, and still have it fairly heavily forested with white pine, spruce, and some cedar in the small boggy area. And a couple hundred feet on a small brook trout stream.

Given what I've accomplished with a little Terramite, I think a 40hp TLP will do 95% of what I want to do, but there are things I think the skidsteer would be wonderful for. I can't wait to rent one and give it a try this fall.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247651/yard1-213769.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247651/yard2-213770.jpg

Slow going with the little 20hp Terramite, but it gets done. Looking forward to renting a skidsteer this fall to check it out. Still looking at TLBs though. 40hp series seem to be in my price range used. I did see a 75 (78?) hp TLB this weekend in reasonable shape for $25k. That would be in my price range by spring if I can find another.
OP when you said "old growth" I thought of trees you couldn't reach around. How many acres? I don't see anything that my 450 couldn't handle. I seen a few rocks that would give a skidsteer some problems but nothing that a 75hp hoe wouldn't take care of. You could probably resale the backhoe for most of what you put in it later for a compact tractor. A chainsaw and a brush grabber through the week would take care of most of what I see. Then rent a stump grinder over the weekend.  A backhoe with a clamshell bucket would work awesome from what I see. Have you tried to sell the moss rocks? People buy them down here. A mini excavator and a chainsaw would also take care of a lot of what I see. I would subscribe to the Fast line equipment advertising magazine and watch for a decent sale item.
Oh, I have plenty of those. 40-50" through is common, some are larger but I'm not moving those as they make nice stands. Mostly white pine and poplar, but a couple ancient white oak and maple.

Right now I have a bit over 10 acres, but it looks like I'm likely to trade about an acre of road frontage to one of my neighbors for 7 acres out back where I prefer the land and he has no use for it. Also looking at buying a contiguous 10 acre lot on the other side. Sounds like about $7500.00 plus I pay my own survey and the transfer fees. That lot is about half 20" or larger maple, so I'll get at least that amount of $ worth of firewood off it, and still have it fairly heavily forested with white pine, spruce, and some cedar in the small boggy area. And a couple hundred feet on a small brook trout stream.

Given what I've accomplished with a little Terramite, I think a 40hp TLP will do 95% of what I want to do, but there are things I think the skidsteer would be wonderful for. I can't wait to rent one and give it a try this fall.
Do able if you don't expect to much from the 40hp and have a plan to rent equipment along the way. Such as a mini excavator for the rocks and tree stumps that are too big for the 40hp. Or hire a track hoe to do a day's work. Then burn and clean up behind him. The main thing is take an acre at a time and clean it up to where you can maintain it or it will grow back before you return to it. I got a place that did that when I got busy and neglected it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Do able if you don't expect to much from the 40hp and have a plan to rent equipment along the way. Such as a mini excavator for the rocks and tree stumps that are too big for the 40hp. Or hire a track hoe to do a day's work. Then burn and clean up behind him. The main thing is take an acre at a time and clean it up to where you can maintain it or it will grow back before you return to it. I got a place that did that when I got busy and neglected it.
View Quote
Yeah, my first year up here I did about an acre then had a dude at work destroy my right shoulder in the following early spring. Out of my position for 9 months, surgery, etc. The second year following the original clearing, once I could actually hold a chainsaw and shovel, the damned acre had FILLED with tiny maple and blackberries.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you need a construction tractor for the work you are doing.  Brand?  Where can you get parts would be my first choice in selection of brand.  What type of dealer is closer and how long have they been in business.  Kubota's are solid, go from there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds like you need a construction tractor for the work you are doing.  Brand?  Where can you get parts would be my first choice in selection of brand.  What type of dealer is closer and how long have they been in business.  Kubota's are solid, go from there.
View Quote
I've got Case, JD, and Kubota all about 30 miles away in the same area. I'm most likely to find a used JD or Case around here, but Case were more likely used by actual construction companies while JDs are equally as likely to have been used by farms or homeowners (not all that unusual up here for someone to clear their own houselot, etc., then sell the equipment). Some logging outfits will use them for putting in temp/rough bridges and doing some hard spring prop work, then dump them. Nobody wants one that was run and maintained by a logger.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be looking into the nicest Case 580 series you could afford and supplement it with a hired Cat D6 for the big stuff.  After you get a handle on everything sell the Case and get a small Ag tractor with implements.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top