Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 4:10:13 PM EDT
I figured Id get more constructive answers here than GD

We just moved in and the house has a nice sized woodburner in the great room. Its tucked into a corner. Im looking for some suggestions on how to keep the kids back. Ive got 2 kids under 2 so the clumsiness is strong. Weve looked at some angulating baby gates but Im not sure how well it would hold up 18" from the stove

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Custom made metal railing around it, gate in front. 

If you can't do it, find a local small welding shop to have it done.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think your will not be using it until fall. When it is still fairly warm out fire up the stove on low and let them touch it. Only way to learn. They will not get burnt but they will not forget it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would think your will not be using it until fall. When it is still fairly warm out fire up the stove on low and let them touch it. Only way to learn. They will not get burnt but they will not forget it.
View Quote
Yeah, you and I are on the same page, the wife does not subscribe to that train of thought though

I thought about a metal railing, but it will just get hot as well right?

Im wondering how close I could use a regular plastic babygate without it melting, Ive seen the articulating ones online
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#4]
we used those plastic baby gates things that you buy 4 at a time.  Buy a couple sets.  We had the same problem and that worked great.

Can't figure out how to paste.  Walmart.  Search for north states superyard xt portable. Buy some of those.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Im wondering how close I could use a regular plastic babygate without it melting, Ive seen the articulating ones online
View Quote
Difference between hot and burn. A metal railing would not get hot enough to burn you (although it will get warm to the touch, enough to teach the little ones to not touch).

I'd be hesitant of plastic, when plastic warms, it looses all strength. 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Hot wire fence

I'd definitely look at something fixed to the ground, not baby gates/fences that could get knocked over and possibly create their own burning/melting hot plastic hazard.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Babygates I have looked at anchor into the wall.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I have seen 3 year Olds climb fences. Good luck in your quest. Maybe some kinda heat resistant liner can be installed over the stove. But the rocks represent a fall hazard year round.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I used a set of metal railings that anchored to the walls. I just looked and I think it was Baby Dan Flex System. I didn't put them on last winter, the kids were 6 and 10, but that's the first time I didn't. You can customize to get the stand off you want. They were also really handy for drying wet snow clothes.

We were about two feet from the wood stove. Nobody burned their hands.

Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#11]
We just moved in last week so were still unpacking crap. The people we bought the place from used it all winter and Im assuming had no issues, but they didnt have little ones. As far as the wall, its just drywall with paint on it, do I need to mount something on the wall? I doubt those curtains will be there long, there no chance of anyone seeing in the window except the deer that roam around at night
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#12]
When I was a kid, there was this country mini grocery store/gas station/bar that everyone hung out at. There was no bar stigma to it. I spent countless Sundays there with my dad and grandfather drinking Dr Pepper at the bar.

Anyway, they had this huge wood stove over by the pool table. Homemade job made out of folded 3/16" steel.

Around it was a cage made out of a bent cattle panel with 2x2" openings. I guess it kept the drunks off it.

They sell those panels with that size opening at Tractor Supply.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#13]
You will be better off teaching your kid, then gating him off.

Let him touch it, he will learn fast.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#14]
A friend put some chicken wire around his stove...??
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I grew up around woodstoves and I don't remember burning mystery so it must not have been to traumatic. I do remember cousin Jerry getting his head stuck in one of the diamond shaped opening of the kiddy fences from the 70's. And his daushound humping him.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Again, Im not opposed to it, I think were more concerned with catastrophic accident like one of the kids walking by slips and falls into it or reaches out to catch themselves
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Again, Im not opposed to it, I think were more concerned with catastrophic accident like one of the kids walking by slips and falls into it or reaches out to catch themselves
View Quote
I wasn't too worried about touching it on purpose, I was worried about tripping or slipping or roughhousing. My wife was worried about EVERYTHING.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Despite warnings, my son touched our wood stove, once.  No injury, just learning.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Pics or ban.

View Quote
It'll have to be a ban I was to young to have a camera and the Polaroid was out of reach. Not to mention Grandma would have beaten my ass.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#23]
My grandson touched the pellet stove once. Learning occurred. He tried to teach his cousin (my granddaughter) not to touch it. She didn't listen.....and learning occurred again.

We have a wood stove now. We don't worry about it. They have learned well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Aww, shoot.

The good thing about being older is that there's no evidence of my misdeeds.

That bad thing about being older is that there's no evidence of other people's misdeeds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'll have to be a ban I was to young to have a camera and the Polaroid was out of reach. Not to mention Grandma would have beaten my ass.
Aww, shoot.

The good thing about being older is that there's no evidence of my misdeeds.

That bad thing about being older is that there's no evidence of other people's misdeeds.
You know I really thank God my parents didn't have digital cameras!
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah, you and I are on the same page, the wife does not subscribe to that train of thought though

View Quote
a wood pet gate ? make something out of 2x2 or something make a small door or something
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Problem with a fence is if they get curious and climb over when you are not around then they are trapped next to a burning wood stove.

Think this stuff out folks.

Let them help build the fires and learn that the stove is hot.

Teach them. Don't shield them.

ETA: It has been my kids job since early childhood to start the fire in the fireplace and keep it burning.

Just make sure they understand not to put an egg in there. Do that at camp not in the house.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Problem with a fence is if they get curious and climb over when you are not around then they are trapped next to a burning wood stove.

Think this stuff out folks.

Let them help build the fires and learn that the stove is hot.

Teach them. Don't shield them.

ETA: It has been my kids job since early childhood to start the fire in the fireplace and keep it burning.

Just make sure they understand not to put an egg in there. Do that at camp not in the house.
View Quote
This sounds great for an older child. Trying to reason with a 15 month old is like banging your head on a rock over and over and over
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This sounds great for an older child. Trying to reason with a 15 month old is like banging your head on a rock over and over and over
View Quote
I have raised two and they learned faster than I figured they would. The second one was easier.

Of course you have to look out for them and protect them but not to the point they become snowflakes on leashes.

Link
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So wait..

They sold alcohol for the adults, and you were allowed to sit there and drink Dr. Pepper?

That's freaking AWESOME.

THAT is a family establishment in the fullest sense of the word.

It reminds me of the gas station checker rooms and the pool rooms my dad took me to when I was little.  (No alcohol though--it was a dry county)
View Quote
I spent a lot of my youth in the 90s sitting at the bar in a VFW drinking coke while my grandfather and the other vets drank only god knows what. They had pretty good pizza there too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Raised three girls around wood stoves and none f them have been burned.

Not even when they were crawling around.
Little swat on the rear with stern words was enough.

All three were very curious.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#31]
One of those little sectional pet / baby gates. Or let him learn that it's hot.

We don't burn wood but we do use those electric radiator heaters in the winter. It didn't take long for my son to realise they were hot and to not touch. He didn't get burned but felt it hot enough to not like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top