Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2017 1:23:22 PM EDT
OK, lets do this again, after I had this post loaded with pics and Chrome crashed....

Have a red? oak tree that was perfectly healthy last year, or so it seemed anyway. This year, half or better of the tree did not produce leaves. Not good, but I was wondering if there may be anything I can do. It would not be such a big deal, but I built the boys' playground under this once magnificent shade tree .

Photos were too big to upload directly on ARFCOM, so I'm suffering through photobucket on this one. Took advantage of my 300mm lense for the Canon camera, and all of these canopy branch shots are at a good 30ft+ 

Photobucket keeps crashing chrome, I'll be back with more pics.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#2]
New growth this year from a dead branch I cut off last year.

I can't handle photobucket anymore. I have more pics, but it takes almost 5 minutes just hovering over a picture to get the share link address. I can supply more pics if needed, let me know.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Is their any leaves on it? Buds? Hard to say if it will come back if dead, lightening?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Canker disease,  it's dead Jim
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Canker disease,  it's dead Jim
View Quote
Does it spread? Can it be confirmed? Will it infect my other oaks on the property?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is their any leaves on it? Buds? Hard to say if it will come back if dead, lightening?
View Quote
Leaves on about 1/3 of it. Seems to have buds, but they did nothing on the majority of the tree. Lightning unlikely. 
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#7]
We had a nasty cold snap in December. Barely had a frost in the ground and we had -25 actual temps in middle december. Since the dead part is the N/NW/W part of the tree, is it possible that nasty cold snap killed those buds?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Oak Wilt?

We suffer from that in Central Minnesota quite a bit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Last year I didn't notice anything I would consider out of the ordinary. The landscaping here has been left to go for a LONG time, so there were dead branches, most of which were dead when we moved in some years ago. I did do a lot of dead branch removal last year when I had the boom lift out.

Looking at my other oaks, they all seem fine.

Hope I don't have to take this one down, there goes all the shade for the playground 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#15]
You said you built a playground under the tree, did you add any dirt under it?  Trees can die if you cover their roots with too much dirt all at once.  And if dead branches start coming down that might not be a good place for the kids to play.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You said you built a playground under the tree, did you add any dirt under it?  Trees can die if you cover their roots with too much dirt all at once.  And if dead branches start coming down that might not be a good place for the kids to play.
View Quote
Nothing was pushed up to the tree.

Yeah, tree comes down or playground is moved. Possibly both.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#17]
As always Kitties is quite knowledgeable and asking a lot of important questions.

I didn't read all of the responses so I could have missed it, but when did you do the trimming? Many fungal infections are carried by insects to the freshly cut limbs. To minimize fungal infections your tree trimming/pruning should be done when insect activity is the lowest (that is January/February where I am). That being said, that tree has been dying for a while, it's likely that IF you did something to cause this, it wasn't entirely your fault, you likely only accelerated it.

Finally, that tree could live for a number of years, possibly even slightly recovering to be a shade-tree again. I wouldn't keep a childrens playground under it though; it will always be a hazard with falling dead branches. As unlikely as it is, people have been killed by falling branches from trees; it happened to a local last year while mowing his yard.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#18]
The sprouts near the old prunings are common, especially in a struggling tree.  With the amount of dieback that is showing, I think she gone.  As Kitties said, the County Extension Office will be the best bet for proper ID of the issue.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Oaks that die from the top down are sometimes suffering from iron deficiency.  Pin oaks in northern Indiana always die this way at some point.

Yours may be too far gone to save.

An old trick is to hammer in some iron nails, no I'm not joking.  Just make sure to not put them where you will eventually use a chain saw.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#22]
OP, the (not so) funny thing about talking to an arborist about a tree problem: very rarely do they give you a happy ending.  A high percentage of the time, by the time you notice a problem and start asking questions, it's already too late.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sad truth.

Buckshot, is that your career?
View Quote
Ummmm, I am an ISA Certified Arborist, but I'm pretty rusty.  It was a cert that I had to get for work, but my everyday work really has nothing to do with disease ID type stuff.  I love learning about trees, and I wish I knew more than I do, but the majority of what I pick up is in my CET's.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:21:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Lots of Oak Wilt in your area.   It might be a late frost damage but I doubt it.  I might give it another year to see what it does but its most likely got to go.   If it is Oak Wilt, don't cut it until it is cold to help prevent it spreading.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top