Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2017 12:21:02 PM EDT
Help, what is this and how do I kill it!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Not the corn, of course!
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you trying to be organic? Or do you mind using a pesticide
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#2]
If organic: insecticidal soap, neem oil, copper fungicide

There is also an organic 3-in-1 that should cover that. I get it at Menards.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you trying to be organic? Or do you mind using a pesticide
View Quote
I survived Carbon Tet, DDT and a slew of other stuff that is no longer used, so I can deal with the pesticides on the market now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't know what it is but my corn was heavily damaged last year by a beetle which the old timers in the area had not seen.  A lot of them just mowed their corn down, the shucks looked similar to some of your damage and ears had multiple penetrations with major damage.

Sevin XLR type carbaryl helped tremendously on second crop.  Not the stuff you get at consumer store but is not a restricted pesticide, look for it in a farm store there are other generic brands pretty much the old 10% Sevin.  About $150/ for 2.5 gallons of concentrate.  Try to avoid bees.

Per label for sweet corn covers:
Armyworm
Chinch bugs
Corn earworm
Corn rootworm adults Fall armyworm
Flea beetles
Japanese beetle
Sap beetles
Southwestern cornborer
Leafhoppers

So pretty broad use. reaks down pretty quickly so multiple applications usually required
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't know what it is but my corn was heavily damaged last year by a beetle which the old timers in the area had not seen.  A lot of them just mowed their corn down, the shucks looked similar to some of your damage and ears had multiple penetrations with major damage.

Sevin XLR type carbaryl helped tremendously on second crop.  Not the stuff you get at consumer store but is not a restricted pesticide, look for it in a farm store there are other generic brands pretty much the old 10% Sevin.  About $150/ for 2.5 gallons of concentrate.  Try to avoid bees.

Per label for sweet corn covers:
Armyworm
Chinch bugs
Corn earworm
Corn rootworm adults Fall armyworm
Flea beetles
Japanese beetle
Sap beetles
Southwestern cornborer
Leafhoppers

So pretty broad use. reaks down pretty quickly so multiple applications usually required
View Quote
That amount of concentrate would probably last me 2 lifetimes. I'm only working about 100 plants.

The strange thing is none of my other plants were touched (squash, beans, tomato, peppers, onions, carrots).

A couple of days before I noticed the damage we had (what I'll call) 'white fly's' swarming badly and I see what looks like small white eggs down in the center leaf area.

Well I sprayed with 3 in 1 neem stuff and we will see what happens. My concern now is that I can't water the corn for 24hrs and with my soil and heat, I need to heavy water a couple times a day to really see good growth in my garden.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top