Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
good thing you caught them.

I really want some bees!

Red
View Quote
I  should have had a bait box out sooner.  I missed a swarm 3 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a guy that has a couple of bait boxes out - see them riding around.

After the hurricane that we had last summer - did a kayaking trip - saw where a tree that got knocked down into a creek had a hive in it.

Red
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Any signs it was going to split...queen cells, overcrowding?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is a guy that has a couple of bait boxes out - see them riding around.

Red
View Quote
I've had 1 flooded away, 1 trashed by kids, and one stolen.

Funny thing is I caught a swarm (not form my yard) on my back patio with a bait box that I was repairing from the kids. Surrounded me at 5PM while I was walking outside to check on the grill.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any signs it was going to split...queen cells, overcrowding?
View Quote
Lots of queen cells.  I put another deep on the existing hive.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Did a hive inspection a few weeks ago (5 maybe?) and was worried.  Decent #s of bees and some honey but no brood.  I couldn't find a queen, and thought I was going to have to buy one or watch the hive fail.  I put in a BIG chunk of pollen patty and hoped for the best.

Cracked it open two nights ago and they had FILLED the first deep with brood, pollen and honey.  Such a tremendous turnaround. Built a new deep last night, and put it on this morning with 6 new frames.  I have more frame kits and I am going to build 4 more frames this evening to fill the new deep.   I am going to order another deep and a queen excluder and go ahead and put a super on.  I am planning to let them keep the vast majority of it but I would like a pint or so of honey just to sample.  I'd like to get this hive good and strong and be able to split it next year.  I will upload a few pictures from my phone shortly.

@Kitties-with-Sigs
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's AWESOME!

Really glad they were able to get going.  Sounds like you've got a good hive.

I would check in there to be sure they've not begun preparing to swarm again. Once they fill a box, their minds get on leavin' to get more space.

Sounds like your'e doing great with them!
View Quote
The hive they came off of was a split from a native hive that a friend of mine took out of the wall of an old farmhouse.  So we think we have some genetics going on there that are really well suited to this area, and just very vigorous.  Not sure how true it is but I have been told that queens from different areas may struggle in a different climates that they may not be acclimated to.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#16]
OK... I have always been curious and I know absolutely nothing about bees. How do you get the honey out and how do you manipulate the hive pieces without killing/squishing the bees? How do you tell the queen bee from the others? What happens if you don't empty out the honey? Do the bees eat it? If you empty it out won't they starve?

Sorry, Ignorant questions I suspect.

In all aspects of my outdoor life I've made it a priority to ensure that I never harm a bee as they are very helpful little guys. I've just never actually thought about beekeeping. Very interesting.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OK... I have always been curious and I know absolutely nothing about bees. How do you get the honey out and how do you manipulate the hive pieces without killing/squishing the bees?

You use a knife to cut the caps off of the honey cells, and either wait for gravity or use a centrifuge to extract it.

Very slowly and carefully to avoid squishing bees.  You are probably going to kill a couple every time you do an inspection.

How do you tell the queen bee from the others?
She is a little bit bigger, and a little bit longer than the others.  She is not always easy to see, fortunately she generally stays away from light so if you open the top she will go down to lessen the chance of being squished.

What happens if you don't empty out the honey? Do the bees eat it? If you empty it out won't they starve?

If you empty out too much honey they will indeed starve.  I will feed them pollen pattys during the dearth of summer when there is less pollen and nectar, since this is a new hive.  Being a new hive, I will maybe only take enough honey for a sample, or maybe none at all.  They do indeed eat it to get through the winter.  You can't take it all.

In all aspects of my outdoor life I've made it a priority to ensure that I never harm a bee as they are very helpful little guys. I've just never actually thought about beekeeping. Very interesting.
View Quote
I never planned to get into beekeeping.  A friend brought a hive out because I have apple trees, and a woods full of locust trees out back.  Then when I caught this swarm, and since I have been checking on his existing hive, I bought a hive kit and now I'm thinking of splitting this hive in a year or two.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]

What's the best flower in your neck of the woods?  Down here it is Tupelo, Sourwood, and Galberry. Gallberry is my favorite.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What's the best flower in your neck of the woods?  Down here it is Tupelo, Sourwood, and Galberry. Gallberry is my favorite.
View Quote
I don't know, honestly.  We have a BUNCH of locust trees which flower heavily and smell wonderful.  I think they are a very good plant for bees and honey production.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I never planned to get into beekeeping.  A friend brought a hive out because I have apple trees, and a woods full of locust trees out back.  Then when I caught this swarm, and since I have been checking on his existing hive, I bought a hive kit and now I'm thinking of splitting this hive in a year or two.  
View Quote
Thanks for that! It seems very interesting. I've always had a powerful fear of bees, mostly due to a potential fatal allergy to yellow jacket stings (damn near killed me when I was a kid). Now that I am older and have realized that many buzzing insects are helpful and not aggressive I have always wondered if learning basic beekeeping would be useful to help me overcome my fear. I know my fear is unreasonable. Someday ::sigh:: I will have my land in the country. someday....

When you remove the honey you leave some. How do you know how much to leave?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks for that! It seems very interesting. I've always had a powerful fear of bees, mostly due to a potential fatal allergy to yellow jacket stings (damn near killed me when I was a kid). Now that I am older and have realized that many buzzing insects are helpful and not aggressive I have always wondered if learning basic beekeeping would be useful to help me overcome my fear. I know my fear is unreasonable. Someday ::sigh:: I will have my land in the country. someday....

When you remove the honey you leave some. How do you know how much to leave?
View Quote
Rule of thumb is don't take honey from a first year hive.

After that, northern bees with longer winters need more honey to see them through it.  30 lbs may be enough for southern bees.  Far north bees may need 150 lbs of honey to get through winter!
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:09:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Just a word of advice on local bee meetings. Everyone has an opinion on how things should be done.

The folks I got my package bees from are down near Houston, near where I lived when I went to college. One of the largest suppliers in the state, started in 1888. It's probably just as hot, if not hotter down there as it is in Dallas, but more humid. They unequivocally say to use a solid bottom board, they only sell solid bottom boards. When I went to pick them up, they guy told me to make sure I used a solid bottom board.

Ok so everything I have is solid bottom boards.

I went to the local bee meeting in Dallas last night. There speaker was a 50 something year old guy who claimed to have worked with bees since he was a kid. This guy swears we should all only be using screened bottom boards. Our bees or overheating in the summer and dying from too much moisture in the winter. Everything should have a screened board, even in the winter.

Which one of them is wrong?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm starting to take the "university hard science" with a grain of salt as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Any problems with mites?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#28]
As far as solid or screen I belong to the 1/8" screen board group. I like a little air flow even in the winter.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:21:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
As far as solid or screen I belong to the 1/8" screen board group. I like a little air flow even in the winter.
View Quote
Many Beekeepers that I know are huge proponents of screened bottom boards. Thankfully I only partially bought into the hype.
Yes they can have their advantages especially in warmer climates for ventilation and for monitoring mite drops after treatments. Conversley, here where it is pretty cold during the winter, I feel that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. The ground is frozen solid here for many months. That little piece of Coroplast that slides in is not providing enough of a barrier from the cold ground. Maybe if you insulated underneath it would be good. Every one of my hives with a screened bottom board has perished two years in a row over the winter? Coincidence??? As my Mentor once said "would you want a screen floor in your bedroom during the winter"?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This is what I think too.

The further south you are, the more SBBs make sense.

I think here, in the transition zone where I live, it's the most difficult to make a decision.

What I would REALLY like, is a bottom board that's completely convertible--I mean from an SBB to a full solid bottom--not just a thin piece of board, but a full thickness bottom.  

If I installed these on my hives, if I had a varroa issue in one hive, you better believe I would put the screen in and use that as part of my IPM program to help with the mites.

If I did not, and especially with smaller, weaker hives, I would keep that solid bottom in.

If I were going to treat with OA, I would need the solid board in.

I'm not at all sure the SBB is necessary in my zone for summer heat relief.  I think extra venilation via the top cover raised a bit is a better solution.

After years of beekeeping and observing others who do, I think the SBB is better used as a problem solver than a full-time method here where I live.

I don't have proof of this, but that's my gut feeling.
View Quote
I have made a few Bottom boards that meet your criteria. Somewhat convertible! I also have been cutting off the landing board on all new bottom boards. IMHO they are not necessary and are the first part to have paint peeling and rotting. They also allow water to get into the hive if you don't have them angled forward. All of my "new bottom boards" also get screwed to the bottom brood box. This makes moving and transport much easier.
BTW: You can OAV from underneath a SBB
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Neat.  A former coworker had bees and taught classes on them as a hobby.

One day I asked, "How is the bee business?"

"Oh, it's buzzing."  Set myself up for that one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Seriously???

I thought you had to stop the hive up and vaporize through a tiny hole.
View Quote
With the typical wand for OAV like This Varrox you can go through the entrance, underneath a SBB or through the top of you have a notch in your inner cover. Yes the rest of the hive should be sealed up for 2:30 while vaporizing. Mthe vaporizer should then be removed and the hive sealed for an additional 10 minutes.
There is a lot of new technology out there for OAV such as the LEGA unit that goes on the end of a heat gun. This is what I am using this season as it only takes 15 seconds per hive.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have made a few Bottom boards that meet your criteria. Somewhat convertible! I also have been cutting off the landing board on all new bottom boards. IMHO they are not necessary and are the first part to have paint peeling and rotting. They also allow water to get into the hive if you don't have them angled forward. All of my "new bottom boards" also get screwed to the bottom brood box. This makes moving and transport much easier.
BTW: You can OAV from underneath a SBB
View Quote
I thought the vapors were corrosive.  I was thinking about the bottom screen getting bad prematurely.

By attaching the bottom to the lower box does that mean you don't rotate boxes in the spring?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I thought the vapors were corrosive.  I was thinking about the bottom screen getting bad prematurely.

By attaching the bottom to the lower box does that mean you don't rotate boxes in the spring?
View Quote
As far as OA being corrosive, once it sublimates, it would find its way onto the screening anyway. I wouldn't worry about premature failure with SBB. To your second point, I don't reverse boxes if I can help it. I move frames around and checkerboard but I have not reversed boxes this year.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
@Vespid_Wasp

Are these general bee discussions okay in your thread?

Or is it a jack for what you wanted?

We can always take it to the other thread, so tell us your preference.
View Quote
Absolutely fine.

I'm reading and learning.

I did an inspection today and they really haven't expanded into the additional deep like I had expected them too.

I'm still new to this so I don't know how fast to expect a hive to grow.  I did spy my queen today.  She looked plump and healthy!  No signs of any mites at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top