Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2017 9:29:58 PM EDT
In our area the newer generation of foragers just rip them off the trees and logs instead of cutting them and the small pockets we have are shrinking. Google Fu says we can plug logs and stumps. Have any of you guys made plug logs/stumps with any success?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What is "hen of the woods?"

View Quote

Hen of the woods for those that don't know
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Very cool ill check out that thread. Ive seen the plugging online but also seen mention of liquid and other options. Was looking into trying to use our cuttings to make some liquid to re seed trees and stumps the savages have ruined by just ripping the colonies off. fter all hunting them is part of the fun

btw hen of the woods is maitake mushrooms
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw on pbs some hippies in Washington that had layed out some logs in the yard and were growing the shrooms.

They were doing real well with the shrooms .

I'll see if I can find it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The key is find the right wood.  Red oak is preferred, but I've heard of other oaks and maples being successful.  I've never grown hen of the woods, but have grown chicken of the woods (similar grow characteristics) with a shroom-oatmeal innoculant into the logs.  I'm surprised they are getting exploited in CT.  People in VA don't know anything about mushrooms, even the highly visible bright orange/yellow chickens can be picked off major trails all day long.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top