Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2017 12:04:51 AM EDT
Going to school in the 80's and 90's, we were constantly told how the rainforest were being wiped out due to people cutting them down, burning the vegetation, and planting crops.  
My question:  Does that work?  Will the cinders and ash from a burn pile provide a boost in soil nutrients?  If so how much?  I would think it would throw the chemistry off for the near future.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:15:01 AM EDT
[#1]
They didn't necessarily burn in that place
Plus, yields weren't high, thus leading to cutting down the next chunk of jungle for more land
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:23:40 AM EDT
[#2]
The insect and weed issues in new garden beds are crazy. Lots of chems needed to get any yields.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The insect and weed issues in new garden beds are crazy. Lots of chems needed to get any yields.
View Quote
But is there a net benefit?  If I need to stack brush and burn it anyway, should I do it over my garden plot?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:49:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you willing to work that hard? In todays world here we work smarter not harder. Are you willing to dig out a stump by hand then had fill the hole with topsoil hauled from somewhere else? And you have to remember these people are barely making a living for themselves yet alone anyone else. It can be done but good soil has to be managed and these people are kinda nomadic farmers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#6]
My dad called burning out the old gardens and prepping new garden beds poor mans fertilizer...said the ash
added nutrients to the soil..he was born in 1911, grew up in the Appalachians..we NEVER bought vegetables
mother canned, later froze enough from the old mans gardens it fed a family of 7 all winter into spring.
He grew both summer and fall gardens and burned them every fall after harvest, turned them over and let
winter finish off the soil prep..didn't use chemicals until the 60s at some point..swore by 7 Dust..
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If your garden is already established, if it is deep silt with a good soil structure, and if you have supplemented it with compost over a number of years, then NO.  Absolutely not.

If your garden is hard clay that doesn't drain and doesn't grow much, then YES.

Obviously there is a lot of ground in between those two extremes.

So tell us about your garden plot.

And tell us exactly what's in the burn pile.

Then we can help you better.
View Quote
    My soil is about 10 inches of loamy sand over just plain sand.  It has been lousy lawn and then late last fall I sprayed it with Round-up in anticipation of starting a plot this year.
     I bed my chicken with poplar shavings and anything I clean from the coop goes to the plot.    
    The burn pile will consist of mostly white pine boughs broke off from an ice storm this winter.  I could also add ash from my wood stove, from mostly ash trees and oaks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#8]
The previous owner of a property I bought left a lot of ash piles around from a fireplace and wood stove.  Everything that I read said yes in small doses, ashes are good.  Different types of wood have different levels of nutrients.  To do it right you would have to evaluate that, do soil tests, and then determine the proper rate.  If you are thinking of doing that instead of fertilizer then it would be a bad idea and not help in the way you expect.

Ashes In the Garden: Using Ashes In The Garden
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/using-wood-ashes.htm

Using Wood Ash in the Vegetable Garden
https://www.growveg.com/guides/using-wood-ash-in-the-vegetable-garden/
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My soil is about 10 inches of loamy sand over just plain sand.  It has been lousy lawn and then late last fall I sprayed it with Round-up in anticipation of starting a plot this year.
     I bed my chicken with poplar shavings and anything I clean from the coop goes to the plot.    
    The burn pile will consist of mostly white pine boughs broke off from an ice storm this winter.  I could also add ash from my wood stove, from mostly ash trees and oaks.
View Quote
MN river valley? 

Find somebody who has horses, you may have to find a slightly more metro area. Most folks who have a few pet horses are MORE THAN HAPPY to load up your trailer full of as much shit as you can haul. The stables around here like to charge for it though... I would spend a year or two adding horse shit and turning that in. With darn near pure sand for soil, you need to build organic matter. It will help with water retention and add nutrients. Keep planting cover crops such as buckwheat and field peas in combo to further build your N content.

Chicken shit is high in N, so keep using that as well. Do remember, all manure used as fertilizer should go through at least 1 winter to kill any bugs that can make us humans sick. Ideally it should be composted first before even spreading on the plot, but we don't live in an ideal world.. It would be OK growing something like corn (the food well away from the soil), but I would not grow root veggies or even tomatoes until it had a chance to freeze off. Even the rain splashing can and WILL splash bugs onto the food you eat. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Been doing it for the last 15 years, parents and grandparents did it before that. Yes it helps. Look into biochar.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
MN river valley? 

View Quote
No, Mille Lacs Moraine.  
Thanks to all for the input.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The previous owner of a property I bought left a lot of ash piles around from a fireplace and wood stove.  Everything that I read said yes in small doses, ashes are good.  Different types of wood have different levels of nutrients.  To do it right you would have to evaluate that, do soil tests, and then determine the proper rate.  If you are thinking of doing that instead of fertilizer then it would be a bad idea and not help in the way you expect.

Ashes In the Garden: Using Ashes In The Garden
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/using-wood-ashes.htm

Using Wood Ash in the Vegetable Garden
https://www.growveg.com/guides/using-wood-ash-in-the-vegetable-garden/
View Quote
These links he posted sum up my concerns.  As long as you are composting the ash and not dumping it in piles in the garden, your pH should not be effected and you can still reclaim nutrients.

I would also look for free manure in your area and try to compost it.  It's going to take a couple years of composting over the plot to get good soil.  We add all our grass clippings and leaves to our garden, which has really bumped up the soil quality.  Adding straw on top of newspaper as a weed barrier also helped add to the quality in the first few years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top