User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#2]
What's the model number on that engine?

Try Diesel Bombers Forum there is a wealth of knowledge over there on any Diesel engine.  Setting injection pump timing can be more of an art than a science.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the model number on that engine?

Try Diesel Bombers Forum there is a wealth of knowledge over there on any Diesel engine.  Setting injection pump timing can be more of an art than a science.
View Quote
Its a D722. 

Checked out that forum, the last active post in the little industrial/ag diesels was a year ago 

I'm going to order a set of used injectors. This engine sat for a LONG time, I'm sure they have issues. I took them apart to see what I could see, and apparently its insanely easy to screw them up when you take them apart. Don't know why, there is barely anything in there, but I'll assume I may have screwed them up. 
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Its a D722. 

Checked out that forum, the last active post in the little industrial/ag diesels was a year ago 

I'm going to order a set of used injectors. This engine sat for a LONG time, I'm sure they have issues. I took them apart to see what I could see, and apparently its insanely easy to screw them up when you take them apart. Don't know why, there is barely anything in there, but I'll assume I may have screwed them up. 
View Quote
Found this on how to time the injection pump on that motor. 
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Found this on how to time the injection pump on that motor. 
View Quote
Found that this morning myself actually. Should be fun, the exhaust mount seems to cover that timing mark 

Still wish I could get a shop level manual for it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was playing with #1 injector line last night and was able to get the knock to go away, I noticed something. There was a lot of foam coming out of the cracked line, not just diesel. The connection at the pump side was good and tight, the line itself has no holes. 

So, the air can only come from two places: the new injection pump, or the injector is stuck open, and as the pump draws again it is pulling air back up the injector since it no longer is shut when its supposed to be. Right?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When I was playing with #1 injector line last night and was able to get the knock to go away, I noticed something. There was a lot of foam coming out of the cracked line, not just diesel. The connection at the pump side was good and tight, the line itself has no holes. 

So, the air can only come from two places: the new injection pump, or the injector is stuck open, and as the pump draws again it is pulling air back up the injector since it no longer is shut when its supposed to be. Right?
View Quote
No, the pump will not draw air back into the line from the injector.  If it did, cracking a line to bleed the system would never work as it would just suck air back in.  If there is air in the line it has to be coming from the fuel supply to the pump.  Gravity feed or are you running a lift pump?  Some injection pumps will need a certain pressure to the inlet side of the pump to work correctly, not sure about that one in particular.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Its gravity feed and lift. The tank is high, but my brother put a fuel pump inline anyway. Actually, the engine runs just the same if the pump is running or not.

Before I switched the fuel pump, the engine actually ran very clean and very good, plenty of power and snap. Then it all went to shit. Had I just replaced the fuel pump before I knew it was damaged, I wonder if I would have any of these issues? I'm seriously concerned that when it went full crazy smoke and running out of control while using diesel as a lubrication in an over-full crank case, something else was seriously damaged. 
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Its gravity feed and lift. The tank is high, but my brother put a fuel pump inline anyway. Actually, the engine runs just the same if the pump is running or not.

Before I switched the fuel pump, the engine actually ran very clean and very good, plenty of power and snap. Then it all went to shit. Had I just replaced the fuel pump before I knew it was damaged, I wonder if I would have any of these issues? I'm seriously concerned that when it went full crazy smoke and running out of control while using diesel as a lubrication in an over-full crank case, something else was seriously damaged. 
View Quote
White smoke typically means a head gasket let go.  Was there any water at all in the oil?  Also, was it running fine before the cooling system was hooked up? Was the cooling system hooked up the entire time it ran poorly?

Im curious what the compression looks like.  There's not a whole lot that should have been damaged with diesel in the oil as it still has decent
lubrication properties.  Especially for only a short time.

<--  most definitely not a Diesel engine mechanic 
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#10]
no water in the oil.

If new injectors don't take care of it, I will be pulling the head off and taking a look. Don't have a diesel compression tester, don't know if the farm still has a functional one lying around either.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#11]
On the plus side, finally found an engine manual. 

Should have never touched those injectors...
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On the plus side, finally found an engine manual. 

Should have never touched those injectors...
View Quote
Hopefully new injectors will take care of the problem
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Switching gears a bit, like I don't have enough irons in the fire, here is a bit of an update of what I have going on:

If you recall, I decided to grow mostly cover crop this year, a mix of oats and peas. Well, I kind of let them go as I decided they would make a good mix for feeding critters. The biggest issue is I have no mechanical means of harvesting dry grain. Tried using the sickle mower last year (?) and a LOT of gain was shaken to the ground, even more than I figured would. That won't work.. So I decided (after gathering some opinions from family) that I would turn the hay/oat mixture into silage. I think I will use my brother's silage packer, which makes nice small bags of silage that weight something like 30 pounds. It was built for a failed business idea, so it just sits around now. I had considered drying it to make a pea/oat hay, but I have no way to mechanically rake it or bale it on site, so I would have to transport dry hay to the farm to run through the baler or store it loose. I also have the issue of trying to get the peas to dry out in the pods properly to avoid spoilage. Silage just makes that easier as it is obviously packed wet. 

Pics of current condition of my fodder crop:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Obviously it is a few weeks out yet, the oats aren't far enough developed. I will wait until they are in "dough" stage and then cut and pack. Oh, the silage packer is on its own axle, so I can drag it over here and run it on the bobcat's hydraulics (assuming I get that going before depleting the budget for it).

I ordered parts for a chicken tub style plucker (whizbang plucker clone). After pricing everything out, it was just better to order a kit. Should be in by early next week. I also need to make an electric automatic chicken scalding device. Automatic as in it regulates its own temp. Going to try to find a junk electric hot water heater, or I will just make something from a barrel with basic hot water heater parts. Should cost no more than $30 to build. Chicken butchering will be in about 2-3 weeks, so its time to gear up. Due to the amount of chickens to butcher (around 80), I needed better equipment..
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Got the injectors in today, earlier than the USPS said they would be in.

And.

OK, it still smokes like an old diesel, although the glow plugs aren't hooked up (or replaced with the new ones I bought) and I didn't let it warm up all the way, but it ran smooth.

Now the bad news: upon disassembly of the injectors, the hard fuel return line decided to stick with the nut and twist a little bit, thus breaking the steel fuel return line. While running, diesel was spewing all over the engine. Don't want to let that engine get too warm like that....

So, I'm going to take off that return line and see if JB weld can take care of it. If not, they are like $10 on fleabay.

If the JB weld works, I will be tooling around in my bobcat tomorrow!!!!

ETA: If I can find JB weld that is still good......
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#16]
So the jb weld worked about 95%. Enough for me to run it around for a while.

Runs smooth, be but does smoke when running. Good enough for me!

She is a tippy machine, and the heavy diesel sticking out the back only makes it worse. Going to load the front tires and get wheel weights on as well to help balance the machine. If I can get a few hundred pounds on the front tires, it should make a huge difference.

I am 
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Used jumper wire to start it with the glow plugs, be and it fired up and ran with no smoke. I have a feeling it may clean up. 

I should probably run the rack on it though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:41:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:44:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Just setting valve clearance.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:09:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I would definitely be in for the videos.  As stated above, the failures you have might be the most important ones.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Trying to get my wife to join the channel with her Homestead Cooking segments, showing how to make absolutely delicious food (I blame her for making me fat). 

Unfortunately, she is extremely camera shy.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would definitely be in for the videos.  As stated above, the failures you have might be the most important ones.  Good luck!
View Quote
Well, they are live on youtube! link to channel

Not too much failure yet, but we are just getting into failure season. Right now, we are still in irrational optimism season 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Was tooling around on the Bobcat tonight. Runs fairly clean unless I push it to wide open. Timing may be off causing that, not sure. I can live with it how it is too.

Plenty of power and lift for a machine it's size. The bucket cutting blade is shot, doesn't dig for shit .

Need to get the manure bucket on and start cleaning the barn and brush piles.

Outside of bobcat stuff, I'm nearly done with my tub plucker. Chicken butchering will start in the next couple weeks. 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That would be awesome!    I would love to see her recipes and how she puts them together.

Keep it the same "Minnesota Homesteading"  but add another moniker just for her segments.
View Quote
If I can convince her, she would get her own playlist on the same channel, yes.

The channel is actually growing quickly. Have added 100 subscribers in the last month .

Need to do more videos. Actually getting to the time of year where things get interesting.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

do those machines have  engine vacuum systems?
View Quote
No need for vacuum. 

Or what do you mean exactly?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Ahh. No no vacuum system but it's not needed the only thing the engine does is run a hydraulic pump. Diesel engines work on compression ignition. The compression is much higher on a diesel at least 400 PSI and at that Peak pressure a little bit of diesel is injected directly into the cylinder or pre combustion cylinder. The compression or more technically the Heat causes the diesel to explode driving the piston. Glow plugs simply preheat the combustion chamber so the temperature is high enough for diesel to ignite. There is no spark ignition system of any kind and no electronics or any type of electricity is actually needed for a diesel engine to run. That is why on older tractors and other diesels you have a lever you pull to actually kill the engine which that is simply cutting the fuel in the pump. Of course that is all for mechanical diesels. Modern electronic diesel engines have electronically driven fuel injectors for precise fuel metering. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:49:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Cleaned out the barn tonight with the bobcat. First time I really put it to work. Very impressed with that little machine. It takes some getting used to, I'm used to operating fill size $60k versions.

The wife and son got some cell phone video , I'll work on it tomorrow.

Need me a grapple bucket.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:39:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Okay, have patience with my questions please.

Internal combustion engines of all types work on compression ignition, from what I know.  Fuel is compressed, spark of some kind is introduced. Explosion happens.

Piston is shoved downward, turning crankshaft.  Rinse and repeat per number of cylinders (sort of). Crankshaft continues to turn.  Machine moves down the road.

So at the red part, above, I get a disconnect.

How does the fuel ignite?  I must assume a piston has to be pushed down (or three or four, in perfect sequence and timing).    I also assume the cylinder is an explosion chamber.   Is it not in a diesel?
View Quote
In an indirect injection diesel, the initial "spark" happens in a pre-combustion "chamber", which is connected to the main cylinder. The diesel explodes due to the temperature and compression alone, no spark is needed. Other than the higher compression, the piston and valves operate basically just like a gas engine. Its really just different ignition systems.

This youtube vid may help (not my vid):
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Yup
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, can that happened.

We bought a house!

While we're are moving, we are only moving about 30 feet. We are moving in a brand new house built by a local high school to replace our 130 year old be pioneer cabin.

The next two months will be crazy. And next year, instead of living off the land to see if we can do it, it will be so we can afford our new house.

It all happened over a period of 36 hours. Had the opportunity, we jumped with both feet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#40]
There isn't a house next to me yet, moving it onto the property.

High schools around here build houses as sort of a pre vocational school. They are then sold to the highest bidder.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#41]
We have about 6 weeks to build a basement, with little money, probably all ourselves and no contractors.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We have about 6 weeks to build a basement, with little money, probably all ourselves and no contractors.
View Quote
Least you have a skidsteer 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#43]
On the plus side, my wife will be doing her cooking episodes once she has the new kitchen 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh yes, videos a plenty will be posted .

Going to be mostly me and 2 of my brothers. I MIGHT hire someone to lay the blocks for the basement walls, not sure yet. Hoping to rope my uncle out here (the one that gave the bobcat) because he is good at cement work.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Digging the basement, will likely get the two from the farm out. One with the backhoe attachment to bust up the soil, the other to basically work as a payloader and haul the soil away. I think we could dig out the basement in a weekend, two days of sun up to sun down (about 14 hours).
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Got a lot figured out today but still some questions left unanswered. Heard back from the county and we get to put the house where I want it which is over the old sealed abandoned well. Got done at the bank today and that should all go well for financing. Found out the basement might be a few thousand more than I figured so I'm trying to trim that back so we can fit this project within the budget. Unfortunately at this point we are going to have to majorly strip back on everything including the cheapest flooring we can reasonably put in, a smaller cheaper water heater and such.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow. Being your own general contractor, laborer, excavation company, cement crew, and chief engineer is a PITA. I have put more miles on the Excursion this week (just so far) than I usually do in 3 weeks. 

Have a meeting with the county inspector in 1 hour, the building moving guy comes this afternoon to check out the property, I need to run to the bank either later today or tomorrow morning, and I need to run to the concrete place tomorrow morning after my morning physical therapy for a full itemized quote. The septic inspector guy comes some time one of these mornings, its just a whenever thing, I need not be home.

IN THEORY I start clearing the spot this evening, maybe tomorrow. HOPEFULLY I am digging the hole this weekend, and done by Sunday night. Then the inspector needs to come out after I map out and frame all the footings, and I pour footings by Wednesday. Rest of the week I assemble the basement lego bricks (doing ICF blocks), pour early the next week. 

Hopefully.

I'm trying to rope in some help from friends and family, not sure how much I'll get though.

All this, and I'm only doing a basement!

Luckily, I've been able to leave most of the farm chores to my 10 year old son. I will be butchering chickens during the two weeks the basement needs to cure before we can proceed, and I need to get my heifer off to get bred as well. 

Going to be a CRAZY August.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top