Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2017 12:20:15 PM EDT
I just removed the valves off of 2 of them. One of gthem I am going to use for an air tank while the other will be cut and holes drilled in it for the use of making charcoal. What other uses you got?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
small forge. instructables.com or youtube has ideas/plans.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually turn them into one of the propane exchange places for a newer model 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

SPNI
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

SPNI
View Quote

Naw! FPNI as usual.  Propane tanks make great moderate sized forges.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, i didn't realize this wasn't GD
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#7]
They Expire!

Hell my guy actually still fills my old non OPD style tanks if there is nobody around!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I keep three 20 pounders and rotate them. I also use the 20s to refill one pounders during ice fishing season. Between my brother and I we usually empty 20 to 30 over the course of the winter. I think the last time I did ten or fifteen of them I figured it cost me .66 each to refill them instead of buying new ones at almost $3 each. Plus you never have a grill run out when the hardware store is open. Having a couple in the garage is really handy.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This. I keep three 20 pounders and rotate them. I also use the 20s to refill one pounders during ice fishing season. Between my brother and I we usually empty 20 to 30 over the course of the winter. I think the last time I did ten or fifteen of them I figured it cost me .66 each to refill them instead of buying new ones at almost $3 each. Plus you never have a grill run out when the hardware store is open. Having a couple in the garage is really handy.
View Quote

I'm guessing you mean .66 per pound of LPG, otherwise I want to know where you're getting gas that cheaply. We pay about 2.15/gal down here in MD, which comes out to about .51/lb
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm guessing you mean .66 per pound of LPG, otherwise I want to know where you're getting gas that cheaply. We pay about 2.15/gal down here in MD, which comes out to about .51/lb
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. My last fill-up of the 20lb was like $12.50 or $13. Dividing that by approx. 20 one pound containers gives me like .66 per one pounder.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#11]
There are YouTube videos of people turning them into small wood burning stoves.  To heat small areas.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just removed the valves off of 2 of them. One of gthem I am going to use for an air tank while the other will be cut and holes drilled in it for the use of making charcoal. What other uses you got?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/14298/20170214-093001-146566.JPG
View Quote
At 100 yds they make for great targets you can hear "teenk, teenk, teenk" when you hit them
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#15]

That is way out my league. I wish I could do something like that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#16]
outdoor pizza oven?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:55:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't use propane much right now, central heat and air kind of killed off my propane useage.

Anyway, old out of date ones were always accepted at wally world and what not.  When I worked at wally world a decade ago I asked em about out of date stuff and the manager told me that wally world did their propane contract such that they did not expect the employee to worry about out of date or not.  We need an exchange.  Don't know if anything changed since then.

As far as projects, lots of em out there.  I am guilty of wanting to make a lego head paint job for a couple of em and then stacking them up.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#18]
IMHO, such a waste to cut up tanks that aren't actually bad.

Old style valve? Exchange it, at one of the automated exchanges...
Tank cert is expired? Exchange the tank or have it recertified at a local LP place. It normally costs $1-5 extra (in addition to the refill cost) and thats for the guy's time to look the tank over and stamp new expiration dates in the handle.

Note: for those that don't know, the expiration date is just the date at which the tank has to be inspected for wear, excessive rusting, or other potential problems. It's SOP on ALL pressurized gas tanks. IE, welding tanks for sure. One of my welding tanks has about 15 date stamps on it, the oldest dating back to the 50's, the newest from 2011.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I do agree the proper answer is exchange.  This is outdoors and even a rusty yucky tank can give you a credit towards a good condition in spec tank with 80% or whatever they fill em to these days of propane.

I really like the ones turned into wood stoves, there is someone with some simple cuts that reuse the scraps as a base and what not and the idea of recycling them makes me smile.

If east tn ever got some decent snow I sort of felt like the ones painted with lego head designs should be the head of a snow man but my pups would probably kill the dang snowman.

I have a dozen or more tanks running around, little 5 gallon sized ones.  I have 3 of the bigger 100lb ones or whatever but they are all pretty old and beat up and I don't know if they are worth messing with or not.  Just another project for the year I guess.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Just get or borrow an alpha/numeric set of 1/4" metal punches and add a date for 12-15 months ago.  Then take your "re-certified" tank to be filled as usual.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Where I live the propane places don't even look at the date. If they can connect the hose, they fill it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I used to work at a recycling company.... they had a pile of them and I must have pulled a dozen or better.... went to the cheapest swap site and got brand new ones..... now I have several hundred pounds of long term storage propane.

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Target practice
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#24]
A couple of rounds of 5.56 then off to scrap steel yard.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just trade them in at HD or wherever, they will refurb them and put them back out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They Expire!

Hell my guy actually still fills my old non OPD style tanks if there is nobody around!
View Quote
All pressure vessels have to be tested periodically. Date stamped on tank. 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just get or borrow an alpha/numeric set of 1/4" metal punches and add a date for 12-15 months ago.  Then take your "re-certified" tank to be filled as usual.
View Quote

Why? So that if the tank is bad, somebody thinks it's good, fills it, and dies? There is absolutely no reason to do this. Exchange places take expired tanks and the refiller will recertify them. Co-ops etc can recertify tanks for a minimal charge as well. There is absolutely no reason to potentially endangers somebody's life by putting a fake certification date on a tank.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:55:21 AM EDT
[#29]
They make awefully handy portable air tanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:56:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
All pressure vessels have to be tested periodically. Date stamped on tank. 
View Quote
At the local Coop they fill up some scary tanks for people who bring them in.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:57:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I say you mount it in the back of the pickup, get a compressor that runs on 12V and install some air horns and air ride on the brodozer!!!!

You could also use it to make a kickass airgun. I once saw a video of guys using propane tanks that could shoot a 50cal black powder slug 2k ft per sec just with compressed air
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A couple of rounds of 5.56 then off to scrap steel yard.
View Quote
This.

<snip>.

Edited by Kitties because this is the kind of thing that degenerates when it gets going, as per the edit I made last night.

While I'm sure it's big fun to shoot propane tanks with gas in them, there are a lot of "buts" around that idea, and unless it's handled very carefully and done right, at the correct distance, it's dangerous as hell, and that's not what this thread is about.

If you want to write up a how to with regard to this, that's for another forum.

That was not the intention of this thread, nor the OP, from my best read of his question.

There are some good homestead related ideas here. Let's keep it to that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:20:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I stand by the motion of target practice
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm about done with suggestions for doing dangerous things regarding small propane tanks.

The homesteading forum is not the place for suggesting idiocy that can get people killed.  That's General Discussion.

This is a good homesteading thread.  But I will lock it in a heartbeat if the idiotic, dangerous suggestions keep on repeating themselves.

~Kitties
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#36]
^That one had to be a good one to get red text

Anyway, disclaimer......dont shoot it with it full.......only valveless and empty of gas.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#37]
I took one of the old style twenty pounders and cut it in half to make a very big lead cleaning pot.  I got tired of the  small revere ware pot.  I need to weld handles  on it.  Well yes and no.  I want handles but no way should anyone pick up that vessel with a hundred pounds of molten lead wheel weights in it.  

Most guys use a cast iron pot but they can fail with that kind of heat.  Mild steel is more idiot proof.   Well that and I have no desire to take a perfectly good cast iron Dutch oven and contaminate it.   The 2 qt revere ware pot already popped
It's handle rivets before I got it.

Another edit.   If you are going to cut one in half be sure to inert it first.  I opened the valve on the empty tank and let it sit for a couple months before I got to it    Also be aware at the weld line the two tank halves overlap an inch or so.  I cut mine with a saber saw and cut through both layers.  If I had known to avoid that I would have!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Generally if cutting something like a propane tank it is recomended to fill with water first.

Water will displace the gas and then I would empty it and cut it.

Upside down and sitting for months seems ok, but if you run searches on old tanks the fill with water before cutting gets mentioned a ton.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm about done with suggestions for doing dangerous things regarding small propane tanks.

The homesteading forum is not the place for suggesting idiocy that can get people killed.  That's General Discussion.

This is a good homesteading thread.  But I will lock it in a heartbeat if the idiotic, dangerous suggestions keep on repeating themselves.

~Kitties
View Quote
Thank you - please keep up the good work.

OP, depending on what you need and your skills - perhaps turn it into a portable air tank.  Otherwise, just exchange it for a new and/or recertified one at your local gas exchange place.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I will keep my Gd posts out of here.
What about a water filled fire extinguisher. Attach a pickup tube that reaches low in the tank. Hardware store probably has an on off valve that can connect to a hose/nozzle similar to a normal extinguisher. Schrader valve for compressed air and voila. I'm going to look more into this and try it
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I will keep my Gd posts out of here.
What about a water filled fire extinguisher. Attach a pickup tube that reaches low in the tank. Hardware store probably has an on off valve that can connect to a hose/nozzle similar to a normal extinguisher. Schrader valve for compressed air and voila. I'm going to look more into this and try it
View Quote
I have actual water filled fire extinguishers. They are awesome for general small non-critical fires.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm interested in this.  Sounds like it might be a really good thing to keep by the back yard firepit (the hole where we burn brush in small piles).

Would you use compressed air to power it?

And could you refill it with water/air yourself?
View Quote
Doesn't sound like you have seen the commercial compressed air/water fire extinguishers. They are nice, perfect for those little non-emergency fires.

Basically, you have a tank with a valve and dip tube. Actually, its exactly like a bigger propane tank and the liquid connection: the compression in the tank pushed the liquid out the tube. You simply take the valve off, refill with water, tighten valve, fill with air. The commercially made models get good range too, about 40ft or so on mine.

ETA: amazon link
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That would have been really useful when the neighbors set the back yard on fire last year.

No, I had not seen compressed air/water fire extinguishers.
View Quote
What is nice is you aren't hesitant to use it: just re-fill and its GTG, unlike disposable or commercial dry chem units.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That would have been really useful when the neighbors set the back yard on fire last year.

No, I had not seen compressed air/water fire extinguishers.
View Quote
To some extent I think that is the best use of an old air tank I have sitting around doing nothing.  Already set up for adding compressed air, need to rig up a decent way to make sure water is what is exiting the thing instead of just letting out air/water mist.

Keep in mind what you have in hand, I recommend safety glasses til you see what you have.  This is not just a super soaker squirt gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top