Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/29/2017 10:21:36 PM EDT
@Ytka and I just purchased 65 acres in rural Georgia. This has been a dream of ours for years. We have so many plans for the land that it's hard to know where to start!

A good portion of the land is going to be left as hunting land with potential game including deer, hogs, dove, quail, squirrel, raccoon, rabbit, fox, bear, and bobcat. Of course, I'm sure coyotes will show up too, but they aren't game, just fair game.

Farm plans include a garden, some raised beds, and hopefully 3 pastures for goats, sheep, and horses. Our son also wants to raise pigs, so we may try pasturing a couple of those. And of course, chickens, because what farm would be complete without a backyard flock? There's also an old pond site where one of the previous owners broke the dam. That just needs to get dug out and shored up, and we can have a pond again. Once that's done, we may add ducks and geese to the livestock menagerie as well, plus stocking the pond for fishing.

There's also a couple acres that have just been planted with baby pecans. Those should start producing in 5-7 years, and we're planning on fencing that area separately as a play yard for the dogs to run around in. And right behind the house are several varieties of fruit trees and 4 rows of trellised muscadines.

Lots to do, and we can't wait to get started!!!

Here are a few pictures:

The pecans

The future garden/barn site

The trail leading back into the hunting area

Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Where's the house?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:41:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Looking forward to up dates...also in Ga
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where's the house?
View Quote

Up near the front of the property. You can see the shadow of it in the picture of the pecans.

Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#5]
You guys getting mineral rights and such with your land?
I've been looking for land in Arkansas, but most has no minerals due to gas drilling.
Not looking at is as a money maker, but I just hate the fact a gas well can be drilled all over the land, and somebody else reap the rewards.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:53:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You guys getting mineral rights and such with your land?
I've been looking for land in Arkansas, but most has no minerals due to gas drilling.
Not looking at is as a money maker, but I just hate the fact a gas well can be drilled all over the land, and somebody else reap the rewards.
View Quote

Yes and no. It's in a limited term conservation contract for another few years, so no permanent buildings or mineral harvesting for that time. That being said, we aren't planning on mining or drilling for anything (other than a secondary well) even after that expires.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Very cool. What part of GA?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Very cool. What part of GA?
View Quote

Right smack in the center of the state. Where the really bad naders went through a week ago. They missed our property by a couple miles.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Right smack in the center of the state. Where the really bad naders went through a week ago. They missed our property by a couple miles.
View Quote

I have a bunch of relatives in that area. Always liked it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I was traveling through that area as the tornados where happening. Thank god no issues
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#14]
5 of the 65 acres is excluded from the conservation use program. We can build permanent structures on that part. The program lasts 3 more years and we can make changes after that. I will renew the program after those 3 years though since it cuts the property taxes to almost nothing. We can put up fences, raise animals on it, etc.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Congratulations!  It looks awesome.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome. We're up in Cherokee about to build on 21 acres of family land.

I think we have most of the same plans except you guys are in a warmer zone and may have better luck with some stuff than us.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome congrats
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Very jealous.  We bought 20 acres up near Ellijay and now feel like it is not enough.  I'm thinking about starting the search again, but this time some place with a house and/or with full utilities so we could build and move now (we could both work remote).  And with more acreage.  Like 50-100.
View Quote

There is 100ish acres across the road from me in Ballground. I'd hurry fast as prices are on a run.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's the latest update. I haven't had much time to get out and explore, so I put put a salt block and some corn within sight of the house a few days ago. I checked the card when I took the dog out today. Yes, I forgot to reset the date and time. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I got your email, but it said the property was not on the market.
View Quote

I'll be up there Sunday with the builder. I'll get what info I can.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Jelly here

And happy for you... that place looks awesome !

Congrats
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here's the latest update. I haven't had much time to get out and explore, so I put put a salt block and some corn within sight of the house a few days ago. I checked the card when I took the dog out today. Yes, I forgot to reset the date and time. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222790/image-138989.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222790/image-138988.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222790/image-138987.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222790/image-138986.JPG
View Quote

Damn, need any help with your varmint problem?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Damn, need any help with your varmint problem?
View Quote

Those varmints are too small to need much attention right now. I'm going to get food plots planted and start supplemental feeding/minerals and maybe they'll be ready next season. I'm hoping I can put my son on one this year.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I saw that you got a tractor already.
View Quote

need pics of tractor

cool looking place guys.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

need pics of tractor

cool looking place guys.
View Quote

Thanks! This is the tractor. It's a 2012 3038 with just over 500 hours. It came with a bush hog, harrow, and a plow.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#30]
VERY VERY nice house and set up...now a big barn and that 1000 yrd range and you're golden..

trust me, get the range done,,it'll fall behind in the priority list tomorrow if you dont
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Not a huge update, but we've been busy doing stuff to get ready to do some bigger stuff. I did get a couple pretty good vids on one of my cameras though. He's the best buck I've seen so far.

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Mostly I've been unpacking boxes. And boxes and boxes and more boxes. As stuff gets put away, it feels more and more like home.

Meanwhile, the kids and the dog and I have taken some time to explore our land. I'm starting to get a feel for where I'd like pastures fenced off, where we might could put in a couple small ponds in addition to the main one, where some dove fields could be, etc.

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Congrats! 

OST
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#35]
What do you think of the 3038E compared to the 3039R?  Reduction in price compared to the R reasonable for the reduction in features?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What do you think of the 3038E compared to the 3039R?  Reduction in price compared to the R reasonable for the reduction in features?
View Quote

I don't really have an opinion on it. This is my first tractor and it came with the property, so I'm no expert. It looks like the R is a heavier duty tractor, so it might have a longer life. Would I use it enough to know the difference though? My work on the land is going to have to be balanced with a full time job, a wife that also works full time, a 30 minute commute, 2 kids (including a 4 month old), and whatever else pops up around the place. I'm not going to be running it 60 hours per week.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don't really have an opinion on it. This is my first tractor and it came with the property, so I'm no expert. It looks like the R is a heavier duty tractor, so it might have a longer life. Would I use it enough to know the difference though? My work on the land is going to have to be balanced with a full time job, a wife that also works full time, a 30 minute commute, 2 kids (including a 4 month old), and whatever else pops up around the place. I'm not going to be running it 60 hours per week.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense.  I'm hoping to pick up a new 3039R this year.  Looked really hard at the 3038E.  Decided I can deal with the reduction in features on the tractor but I'm having a hard time getting over the reduction in loader capacity.  We'll see if my wallet is ok with it or not 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:27:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Makes sense.  I'm hoping to pick up a new 3039R this year.  Looked really hard at the 3038E.  Decided I can deal with the reduction in features on the tractor but I'm having a hard time getting over the reduction in loader capacity.  We'll see if my wallet is ok with it or not 
View Quote

It may bug me later, but I don't think the decrease in loader capacity will be a big deal for me. I can't think of anything I'd need to move that weighs over 1300lbs. Of course, next week I'll need to move something that weighs 1800.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I finally got to do a little work before the rain started today. We have an area picked out for a garden, so I figured I'd get started cleaning it up. The area is a big clearing fairly close to the house. We're only going to plant half of it this year. This land was clearcut years ago and the ground is still littered with sticks, logs, roots, etc. The new landscape rake got a little workout and I used the stuff that it raked up to make a mini berm so my son and I can shoot .22's in the backyard. I have a feeling this rake is going to get used a lot.

What started off looking like this:
Attachment Attached File

Now looks like this:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#40]
We got a good amount of rain in ATL. Have you planted any dwarf fruit trees??
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We got a good amount of rain in ATL. Have you planted any dwarf fruit trees??
View Quote

We haven't planted any trees yet, but the previous owner planted pears, plums, pomegranates, and figs along with the pecans, blackberries, and muscadines. I don't think any of them are dwarf variants.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#42]
There are also wild persimmons scattered around throughout the woods.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Subscribed!  Looks awesome.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#44]
I found myself in a new situation tonight. I had a little time tonight, so I thought I'd try to shoot a coyote. I grabbed a rifle, night vision, and my Foxpro and headed out the door. Muffins, our new farm cat, was under my feet from the time I walked outside. That's not new.

What was new is that she followed me from the house, to the shop, past the muscadines, and kept going. Normally she doesn't go much past the shop. I kept going and set up at my first spot. Muffins was right there with me. When I turned the Foxpro on, she hauled ass straight for it. I got a giggle out of that, but figured I had a built in decoy. She eventually came back to sit with me.

To get to the next spot, I have to cross a small creek. Muffins was right behind me all the way to the creek. I crossed, looked back, and Muffins was sitting on the other side making pitiful noises. I was about to keep going when I realized she was sitting not 50 yards from where I was just calling. Thoughts of Muffins, who my son loves dearly, getting ripped apart by coyotes was a little too much so I went back. Hey, there's a field behind the house I can hunt.

Muffins and I got set up in the new spot and I started calling again. The baby cottontail in distress wasn't working, so I switched to a mouse in distress. Out of nowhere, a huge owl swooped down into the tree behind the call. Now I've got the idea of the owl getting Muffins to contend with. I looked down for a second and the owl was gone. Muffins was still there, but our enemy could be anywhere. I didn't need to mess with a coyote tonight anyway. It's late and I don't feel like skinning one out.  

Now we're back at the shop and Muffins is at my feet purring. Damn cat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:01:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Congrats!   We have 110 acres on the homestead and several more parcels around.  Lots of work, but worth it!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#47]
There are some paw paws in this area, but none on our place that I've found. I would like to plant some though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#48]
It sure feels like I've been really busy, but doesn't seem like I've accomplished much. I got one of the areas I'm planning on making a food plot cut last weekend.

Attachment Attached File

My tractor is in the shop this weekend, so I'm out working in the next area I'm going to cut cutting bigger trees out and marking stumps.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It sure feels like I've been really busy, but doesn't seem like I've accomplished much. I got one of the areas I'm planning on making a good plot cut last weekend.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222790/image-168772.JPG

My tractor is in the shop this weekend, so I'm out working in the next area I'm going to cut cutting bigger trees out and marking stumps.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222790/image-168773.JPG
View Quote
Cutting brush by hand without a tractor sucks . What's wrong with the tractor?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Cutting brush Ian without a tractor sucks . What's wrong with the tractor?
View Quote
This side didn't have nearly as many trees as the other side, but it still took a few hours. This will make it a lot faster when I get out there with the tractor.

The front axle is leaking on the right side. That's a known issue with these tractors, but JD won't admit fault. I'm going to go ahead and have them do the 500 hour service too because they'll wave the $200 pickup and delivery fee if I have them do it. The service is $325, so it's only costing me $125 more than what I'd have paid to just have them fix the axle. I needed to do that service anyway, so it worked out pretty well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top